home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 08:51 AM   #51
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Carnival announced yesterday that 18 of their ships are being sold/scrapped, reducing their fleet capacity by 12%. These are all old, less efficient ships and most do not carry the Carnival name. But still, its a big reduction.
Old 09-16-2020, 08:56 AM   #52
carolina_yankee
Administrator

With the Disney Wish being pushed back (allegedly due to pandemic shutdowns at the shipyard), it may be a very long time before DCL is fully ramped up again.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...-amid-pandemic

I'm really dubious that the delay is due to Meyer-Werft. I can't imagine Disney wanting to take on the operating costs of a ship that can't produce income for many months, and possibly a year or more.

Or, if they do take delivery a few months down the road, it makes me worry for the Magic. At some point, Disney is going to spin off the originals, and they are my favorites!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:26 AM   #53
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
With the Disney Wish being pushed back (allegedly due to pandemic shutdowns at the shipyard), it may be a very long time before DCL is fully ramped up again.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...-amid-pandemic

I'm really dubious that the delay is due to Meyer-Werft. I can't imagine Disney wanting to take on the operating costs of a ship that can't produce income for many months, and possibly a year or more.

Or, if they do take delivery a few months down the road, it makes me worry for the Magic. At some point, Disney is going to spin off the originals, and they are my favorites!

Dirk

All good things come to an end......That said, I do not expect DCL to spin-off The Wonder or The Magic any time in the near future.

Almost all of the new ships under construction are being delays. Some of it on purpose, some of it because of covid shut-downs, some of it because of supplies and some of it because of the reconfiguration required of the existing cruise fleets.
Old 09-16-2020, 05:33 PM   #54
Loro
Grand Villa

This all mostly makes sense.

It is all about supply and demand. Demand for cruises likely won't be coming back anywhere near pre-covid levels for a while. On a good note, when cruising returns and is safe again we should be able to look forward to some good deals for those of us who want to go.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote