home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Downsizing DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-15-2020, 05:03 PM   #81
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
Curious, what you use to gauge your idea of a bounce back?

The DOW is already at pre-covid levels, and consumer spending is up in Q3. Q2 was dead of course... but Q4... DisneyWorld is booked solid. In July you could find rooms anywhere cuz no one wanted to go but now look on the DVC site and you find nothing avail this holiday season.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/09/10/gold...-consumer.html

Southwest just ADDED two flights on my travel days. Airlines have hit bottom and are now ramping up for a busy holiday season. In July we flew (twice) to Disney and the plane was practically empty... Now when we go I bet they'll be near 66% full, essentially full up to the middle-seats-empty policy.

California theme parks are pressuring Governor Newsom and Auntie Pelosi to get open. They're ready. People want it. Per Josh D'Amaro, "California’s amusement parks are ready to responsibly reopen."

https://www.themeparktribune.com/cal...for-reopening/
I’m also seeing reports that crowds and wait times are up at WDW. Talk of a vaccine is forthcoming before the end of 2020. If any type of vaccine becomes available, watch the market take off like a rocket!!
Old 09-15-2020, 11:54 PM   #82
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:

The DOW is already at pre-covid levels, and consumer spending is up in Q3. Q2 was dead of course... but Q4... DisneyWorld is booked solid. In July you could find rooms anywhere cuz no one wanted to go but now look on the DVC site and you find nothing avail this holiday season.

Southwest just ADDED two flights on my travel days. Airlines have hit bottom and are now ramping up for a busy holiday season. In July we flew (twice) to Disney and the plane was practically empty... Now when we go I bet they'll be near 66% full, essentially full up to the middle-seats-empty policy.

California theme parks are pressuring Governor Newsom and Auntie Pelosi to get open. They're ready. People want it. Per Josh D'Amaro, "California’s amusement parks are ready to responsibly reopen."

They say that many of the jobs lost this Spring won’t return for years, if ever. This is bound to have an impact. I think, though, that not too many DVC owners are among those out of work.

Small businesses, like indoor restaurants, are closed and may fail before this is over. I read that big box retailers are OK, but Mom and Pop places are in trouble.

I am not surprised to find low availability at DVC resorts. There is a big backlog of points from cancelled reservations and also banked points that will expire unless people go to WDW and use them.

I cheer for the stock market everyday. It is good for us if it doesn’t suffer a major loss.

The election will be an interesting event, no matter who wins. The way it plays out will definitely impact the economy, though.

If the virus has a major resurgence with the onset of cold weather, then many of those reservations will probably be cancelled. That assumes the parks will still be open.

The thing is that this virus is a once in a lifetime event. No one actually knows what will happen going forward. It is all speculation. I hope that everything will be fine, but I am not as optimistic as you are.
Crafty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 11:58 PM   #83
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
I’m also seeing reports that crowds and wait times are up at WDW. Talk of a vaccine is forthcoming before the end of 2020. If any type of vaccine becomes available, watch the market take off like a rocket!!
I love the idea of the market taking off!

Last edited by Crafty; 09-16-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Crafty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:33 AM   #84
administrator
Please don't make me want to smack you upside the head.

Quote:
California theme parks are pressuring Governor Newsom and Auntie Pelosi
You are being smacked upside the head via a two-week ban. Thank you.
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #85
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:

I apologize, Kim, if this post is too far. I will try to keep it to just the economics and not the politics of the situation, so please let me know if I need to edit.

The stock market and economy are being propped up right now by some very risky economic policy. It could be argued that by delaying the coming downturn/contraction (and yes it will be coming) they are only making it worse. 40 Million+ lost their jobs (many of which will never come back), 200K+ are dead, thousands of businesses are going bankrupt, and Congress is too busy arguing about how much to screw over all of us little people to realize that not giving/continuing a proper aid and stimulus package is destroying millions of lives. The economy is absolutely not healthy, and is not getting healthier anytime soon with current outlooks. This is really beyond the scope of this thread though, and will not go any further into this beyond this response to your post.

On the topic of the thread. I got rid of 310 OKW points a couple years back. I'm keeping the BLT points for now.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:36 PM   #86
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

I’ve posted much of this before, but since we are now 16 months post-downsizing, and this dedicated thread has been created, I’ll add my thoughts.

We went from having just under 500 points for a period of 13 years to now holding only 90 points at VWL. We did this for various reasons, some specific to WDW; others not.

Our kids are growing up. We have four kids, now between 2nd and 11th grade. Our kids haven’t so much aged out, as their growth has reduced one of the primary competitive advantages of Disney. Namely, when we were at our peak I used to tell people that WDW was one of the very few places that I felt like my primary role was being on vacation with my kids. And not in logistical support of the trip. It was fun. But, just as importantly, it was easy in a way that other trips in the real world couldn’t be. As the kids have grown, they carry their own stuff; they help cook and clean and do other things that makes it less work to do trips in the real world.
Relatedly, as the older kids got busy with middle school and high school schedules, it dawned on us that our exclusive right to control how time for the entire family was quickly eroding. The ability of DW and I to simply pronounce that “we are all going to Place Y for the next 10 days” will not last forever. So, while it will, I hope, be easy for me to convince my college or above kids to join us for a weekend trip to Orlando in the future, I won’t be able to say “pack your stuff, we’re going to Australia for two weeks” without clearly endless conflicts. Said short, we decided to swing for the fences while it was easy to do so.
AirBNB has completely changed the way that a party of six (or more) can travel. DVC was all about the comforts of home in a well positioned location. We’ve captured much of the same benefits from renting homes in London, Paris, Sydney and beyond. And, for the most part, the price point is really attractive. We not only downsized our DVC points, we also sold off a share of family/friends cabin that we had, as we realized we could get the same type of accommodations reliably, but with more variability and adventure. You can get a multi-bed, multi-bath swelling on AirBNB for a few hundred a night nearly anywhere in the world. Having a kitchen and laundry means you carry less stuff and save significantly on food. I enjoy cooking and I dearly love exploring foreign grocery stores and markets. We also like being together in a single space, in a neighborhood, rather than in multiple hotel rooms. AirBNB enables finding these places and experiences.

That’s why we downsized. So, 20 months in, how is it going? In a word, great. I am so thankful that we downsized when we did; a feeling only further amplified by terrible events that have followed. In the course of a year, my kids have been on the top of St. Paul’s, the Sydney Harbor Bridge, the top Notre Dame and snorkled in the Great Barrier Reef. I don’t know if we will be able to travel like that again before my two oldest hit college, so I feel beyond blessed to have done that, rather than another wonderful trip to DVC.

Then, as COVID set in, we lost a planned trip to the UK and a Norweigan cruise. The girls lost their usual few weeks at summer camp. And I lost a job that, it turns out, was a bit too dependent on pre-COVID realities of people being able to gather in large groups and do what they please. No worries. Emboldened by the spirit of adventure, and knowing that the kids could carry their own water while traveling, I decided to lean into our newly found free time and view this as another opportunity to do something that, again, will simply be impossible when the kids are older. Armed with little more than a trip to Costco for a tent, sleeping bags and mats, we went on a winding 62-day road trip - 14,000 driven miles, 24 decidedly empty national parks, and lots of together in the great wide open. To describe the itinerary as “unstructured” would be an extreme understatement. And, while I do love hunting ride reservations on day 60+10, it was the Best Trip Ever. I know I will never forget it; and I’m sure they won’t either.

Our family deeply loves WDW. But . . . .

There will come a time when hiking in the Tetons, kayaking at Glacier, swimming in Mirror Lake or hiking the narrows at Zion will be too hard, too far, or too much time. Viewed in comparison, a trip to WDW will always be both there and will always be easy. Right now, I don't need (or really want) easy.

We will be back to WDW and DVC, but not until life has us again placing a premium on logistical ease of a vacation.
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #87
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbahamadada View Post
I’ve posted much of this before, but since we are now 16 months post-downsizing, and this dedicated thread has been created, I’ll add my thoughts.

We went from having just under 500 points for a period of 13 years to now holding only 90 points at VWL. We did this for various reasons, some specific to WDW; others not.

Our kids are growing up. We have four kids, now between 2nd and 11th grade. Our kids haven’t so much aged out, as their growth has reduced one of the primary competitive advantages of Disney. Namely, when we were at our peak I used to tell people that WDW was one of the very few places that I felt like my primary role was being on vacation with my kids. And not in logistical support of the trip. It was fun. But, just as importantly, it was easy in a way that other trips in the real world couldn’t be. As the kids have grown, they carry their own stuff; they help cook and clean and do other things that makes it less work to do trips in the real world.
Relatedly, as the older kids got busy with middle school and high school schedules, it dawned on us that our exclusive right to control how time for the entire family was quickly eroding. The ability of DW and I to simply pronounce that “we are all going to Place Y for the next 10 days” will not last forever. So, while it will, I hope, be easy for me to convince my college or above kids to join us for a weekend trip to Orlando in the future, I won’t be able to say “pack your stuff, we’re going to Australia for two weeks” without clearly endless conflicts. Said short, we decided to swing for the fences while it was easy to do so.
AirBNB has completely changed the way that a party of six (or more) can travel. DVC was all about the comforts of home in a well positioned location. We’ve captured much of the same benefits from renting homes in London, Paris, Sydney and beyond. And, for the most part, the price point is really attractive. We not only downsized our DVC points, we also sold off a share of family/friends cabin that we had, as we realized we could get the same type of accommodations reliably, but with more variability and adventure. You can get a multi-bed, multi-bath swelling on AirBNB for a few hundred a night nearly anywhere in the world. Having a kitchen and laundry means you carry less stuff and save significantly on food. I enjoy cooking and I dearly love exploring foreign grocery stores and markets. We also like being together in a single space, in a neighborhood, rather than in multiple hotel rooms. AirBNB enables finding these places and experiences.

That’s why we downsized. So, 20 months in, how is it going? In a word, great. I am so thankful that we downsized when we did; a feeling only further amplified by terrible events that have followed. In the course of a year, my kids have been on the top of St. Paul’s, the Sydney Harbor Bridge, the top Notre Dame and snorkled in the Great Barrier Reef. I don’t know if we will be able to travel like that again before my two oldest hit college, so I feel beyond blessed to have done that, rather than another wonderful trip to DVC.

Then, as COVID set in, we lost a planned trip to the UK and a Norweigan cruise. The girls lost their usual few weeks at summer camp. And I lost a job that, it turns out, was a bit too dependent on pre-COVID realities of people being able to gather in large groups and do what they please. No worries. Emboldened by the spirit of adventure, and knowing that the kids could carry their own water while traveling, I decided to lean into our newly found free time and view this as another opportunity to do something that, again, will simply be impossible when the kids are older. Armed with little more than a trip to Costco for a tent, sleeping bags and mats, we went on a winding 62-day road trip - 14,000 driven miles, 24 decidedly empty national parks, and lots of together in the great wide open. To describe the itinerary as “unstructured” would be an extreme understatement. And, while I do love hunting ride reservations on day 60+10, it was the Best Trip Ever. I know I will never forget it; and I’m sure they won’t either.

Our family deeply loves WDW. But . . . .

There will come a time when hiking in the Tetons, kayaking at Glacier, swimming in Mirror Lake or hiking the narrows at Zion will be too hard, too far, or too much time. Viewed in comparison, a trip to WDW will always be both there and will always be easy. Right now, I don't need (or really want) easy.

We will be back to WDW and DVC, but not until life has us again placing a premium on logistical ease of a vacation.
Those are great memories you are building!

Every time fell a separation pang, I look at YouTube videos of my hoped for upcoming trips and it all goes away.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 02:44 PM   #88
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Every time fell a separation pang, I look at YouTube videos of my hoped for upcoming trips and it all goes away.

Dirk
Every time I feel the itch to plan another trip, I remind myself that the current Disney experience is not the one I want. Reminding myself of all of the things that aren’t available right now (fireworks, parades, parties, etc) makes the separation much more tolerable. Hang in there! Your dream trip will happen. And since Disney has conditioned us to be uber planners, you can use those crazy mad skills for new adventures!
Old 09-17-2020, 03:38 PM   #89
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Dirk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Every time I feel the itch to plan another trip, I remind myself that the current Disney experience is not the one I want. Reminding myself of all of the things that aren’t available right now (fireworks, parades, parties, etc) makes the separation much more tolerable. Hang in there! Your dream trip will happen. And since Disney has conditioned us to be uber planners, you can use those crazy mad skills for new adventures!
with both of you. Plus, absence does make the heart grow fonder.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 06:08 PM   #90
BobParr
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Yep. We just went last month, staying at Kidani. So many things just aren't there to do, making it easy to wear out a park in an afternoon. But the PR system won't let you hop, so the experience is far, far below what it could be even WITH the restrictions in place.

Also, the staff at Kidani were for the most part barely polite. I think this is part of an overall trend that is in part due to the impersonalness that mask-wearing causes. You can't see peoples expressions, particularly their smiles, and conversations just become transactional.

That week was very detrimental to our image/memories of the Disney experience. They just can't provide the level of personality, nor convey happiness to others under these conditions/restrictions. Intellectually I know we have to make allowances, but emotionally the experience is still near-lifeless. We won't go back until things have changed.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote