home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Site / Forum News and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-09-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default New Forums - Life after DVC

Given the news that both Kim and I are selling our contracts, Kim has added a new set of forums for discussing DVC: Life after DVC.

Forum topics include:
  • Selling DVC
  • Downsizing DVC
  • Disney after DVC
  • Other Vacations after DVC

It was interesting to read of so many people who have downsized their contracts for various reasons - life phases, economic, Disney dissatisfaction. We think this will allow a new area for discussion and give people a more complete view of the DVC experience - especially how to prepare for changes you may never think you would make!

We also think it will be interesting to discuss what Disney is like after DVC. As we both said, we still love Disney. While we each will have different vacation patterns, Disney is still a part of our lives in various ways.

And, finally, because we all love to travel, and life after DVC opens up new travel opportunities, look for discussions of other non-Disney trips!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
yecats48884
One Bedroom

Default Life after DVC

I am interested to know your reasons behind selling your contract, Dirk. I have thought about it off and on. I LOVE Disney but recently with the increasing crowds it has lost some of its magic. I could also, if I sold it now, get back what I paid for it to begin with. I am also beginning to feel like it is getting “too expensive” something that I have never felt before. The reason I hesitate is because I don’t want to regret it. What are your thoughts?
Old 09-09-2020, 07:50 PM   #3
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by yecats48884 View Post
I am interested to know your reasons behind selling your contract, Dirk. I have thought about it off and on. I LOVE Disney but recently with the increasing crowds it has lost some of its magic. I could also, if I sold it now, get back what I paid for it to begin with. I am also beginning to feel like it is getting “too expensive” something that I have never felt before. The reason I hesitate is because I don’t want to regret it. What are your thoughts?
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=143985

Here you go!
Old 09-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yecats48884 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Check the thread Mindy linked to. I laid it out pretty well there.

As for regret, I can't say that I'm regretting the decision, but there is grief. I think it's important to not mistake the two. However, I'm not grieving selling DVC. I'm grieving a loss in my expectations and the reality that a lot has changed.

There are financial arguments for us selling in terms of good stewardship of money, but the real kickers for us were the limitations the pandemic has placed that realistically will take years to recover, concern for our personal economic future as we now feel more vulnerable due to the economy, and that the money put into Disney can be used for other equally (or more) desirable experiences.

It just wasn't a place that made sense to put monthly cash into without getting anything back for quite some time.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Life after DVC...

While we still have some (half) of our DVC points we did sell all of our beloved HHI points. Though we just adored that resort we found the annual dues to be too high. We could rent many other condos or rooms on the island for less than what our dues were per point for same room type at Disney's HHI resort. So that's now what we're doing. Had 2 trips at Harbourside III in Shelter Cove and next month we have another trip in Shipyard in a 1BR villa there. SIL is going tomorrow and staying the at ocean front Marriott. All these places cost less than the cost of dues for a stay at the Disney resort. Marriott is like $620 for upcoming 4 night weekend whereas a studio at HHI would cost $673 in just 2020 annual dues per point used (add in @ $1.80 per point for buy in, for us buying at $55 in 2012, and it really made no sense). And that Marriott is ON the ocean where Disney is not. Our Oct trip cost us $1434 for a 1BR for week with pet fees as we're bringing the pooch. Want to say it would be like $400 less for a 1BR in shipyard that did not allow pets. Same week at Disney HHI resort in a 1BR would cost $2030 in just dues per point.

But if we want to get our Disney resort fix we can book off season with our BWV points. We do love the resort and the staff there so we'll probably visit every now and again.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):
Oct 24-Nov 1 HHI (not DVC), Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Last edited by Lamima; 09-10-2020 at 10:09 AM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote