home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
Commish
One Bedroom

Default Using DVC as a Florida Resident

I am moving to the Space Coast and seeking member experiences/opinions being local. The times of week long Disney stays may be behind me, replaced by impromptu trips (assume 1BR). I want to wake up call member services, see what’s available and just go! Is it that easy?

Thanks
Old 09-07-2020, 09:39 PM   #2
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
I am moving to the Space Coast and seeking member experiences/opinions being local. The times of week long Disney stays may be behind me, replaced by impromptu trips (assume 1BR). I want to wake up call member services, see what’s available and just go! Is it that easy?

Thanks
I think you need to book atleast one day ahead and might be staying at ssr alot if you don't book ahead
Old 09-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #3
ajc
Grand Villa

In the covid 19 world you may be able to get a room on short notice but looking forward it may be better to schedule a few F&W + F&G stays when there are musical acts of interest to you then cancel at 30 days if you aren't feeling it.

BTW I have the same resorts in my membership plus AKL & BWV so
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post

BTW I have the same resorts in my membership plus AKL & BWV so
My 5 night December BRV trip (my first stay there since 2008) will be cut short so the kids can check out the new house. Love my 495 VB contract but it will remain my point cow - don’t see myself heading 30 miles south to Vero when WDW is 73 miles west!
Old 09-08-2020, 07:24 AM   #5
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

We kept our VWL (BRV ) and sold all of our others when we moved down from NJ. We haven’t tried a last minute reservation yet as we moved here last July. We did stay over NYE which was packed and awesome at the same time. In retrospect INSANE compared to the “crowds” we are now dealing with! We live about 10-15 minutes from the parks/Springs.

For the time being I’m not sure what availability you’ll find with the resorts not working at full availability. In the past, I’d say you could possibly get a last minute 1-4 days out as people have to cancel last minute for many reasons! We’ve had to cancel last minute day of due to illness before we moved down. I’m sure we aren’t alone.

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but became neighbors of the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 09:14 AM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Outside of COVID times, you would probably need to keep booking far out. Maybe think of times of year you would like to have a quick getaway (Food & Wine, Christmas, etc.) and book some stays, knowing you can cancel if you want to do something different.

We have friends in Fort Lauderdale who have most often stayed off-site for spur of the moment stays, while using their points for lengthier planned stays. They have certainly been frustrated at not being able to get anything a few weeks out.

Of course, if you are super flexible, you could always stalk and grab things as they open up, or make use of waitlists.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:12 PM   #7
Deb & Bill
Grand Villa

Quote:

Thanks
We are about three hours away on the SW Florida Gulf Coast. We used to live 14 hours away and did two longer trips a year, like seven to ten nights per trip. Now we have a Florida Resident Weekday Pass (no Easter or Christmas, no summer, no Sat or Sun) and take three or four night trips. These are perfect in length, we aren't gone too long. We usually get four or five trips per year now. Most of the time in one bedroom villas, but occasionally in an OKW studio (need the two beds to keep sane - we can't sleep together in one queen bed). No body deserves to sleep in a sleeper sofa. We go for the festivals, F&W, F&G, Holidays and Arts.

We live 1.7 miles from the beach and have our own pool, so we don't need waterparks.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #8
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:

Thanks
Did you move to Florida?? I am jealous!!!
Old 09-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #9
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh bears mom View Post
Did you move to Florida?? I am jealous!!!
We close in October, it is time to move on from NYC & NJ - I will sell the NJ house before my DVC contracts!
Old 09-08-2020, 08:31 PM   #10
Rozzie
Add-on Aficionado

We also break up our trips into 3 and 4 nighters planned at least 6 months in advance. We have also had some good luck with 2 nighters pre-covid that was spur of the moment--especially at the 30 day mark.

For Marathon week in Jan we will stay the entire week but in larger accommodations with running friends.

Welcome to Florida! I love the Space Coast, so beautiful.
Rozzie is offline   Reply With Quote