home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-18-2018, 12:28 PM   #21
tom82097
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Talls View Post
What's been the experiences here for a time frame on buying direct but into an older resort (specifically Boardwalk in this case). We discussed with our Senior Vacation Guide last night that we are interested in a direct purchase of points at Boardwalk. He said he put in the request and will let us know as soon as he finds some points. How long do you think it should take realistically for this to happen ?, I've scoured through several resale sights and not seen exactly what we want or if there is something even close it's stripped. Don't want that. Direct will give me full current points and pro-rated maintenance costs. Just the two of us traveling (mostly) so only looking for around 140 points.
I am trying to add on 25 points direct, and was told by my guide that that small amount should be easy to find, especially since I want to add on at either SSR or OKW
Old 10-18-2018, 12:29 PM   #22
dvcfan937
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
just a thought -- but you could buy the 50 now and remain on the waitlist. Then you'd only need another 25 points to become available.

Of course, being limited to a particular UY could make things harder to get a matching contract. With that said, August UY is great for BWV if you plan on hitting up F&W.
My experience with direct contract add on even on waitlist is that they will give you the same UY. I got contract on SSR and BLT and both are December UY.
dvcfan937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #23
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

I really have trouble understanding why anyone wants to buy direct, but be that as it may...

They aren't finding you contracts by looking in the dark corners of the attic. They are taking contracts by Right of First Refusal. So they'll get the contract whenever one comes up for ROFR which is the right number of points in the right use year at a reasonable price for them to make a profit.

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry
OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"
Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR; March 2010 - HHI; December 2010 - Kidani; January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months); November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)
OttawaWendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:25 PM   #24
The Talls
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

This is true but they also get contracts where loans are defaulted on, foreclosures, etc. Plus they have the ability to break up contracts and re-purpose those points. An example might be that they ROFR'd a 200 point contract, but the person ahead of me only wanted 150 points, they sell them those 150 and now 50 remain for offer to me. So, in a sense, they are looking for contracts to meet the needs of those looking for points like me, but you are right, they aren't simply finding points as if someone dropped them someplace, i.e. dark corners.
The Talls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 08:29 PM   #25
KyleG

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaWendy View Post
I really have trouble understanding why anyone wants to buy direct, but be that as it may...

They aren't finding you contracts by looking in the dark corners of the attic. They are taking contracts by Right of First Refusal. So they'll get the contract whenever one comes up for ROFR which is the right number of points in the right use year at a reasonable price for them to make a profit.
With the new annual pass pricing, I'll save over $1,100 per year on gold annual passes as a direct member as opposed to buying platinum passes. 75 points direct should cost me somewhere around $3,500 more than buying resale, so it will pay off pretty quickly.
KyleG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:51 PM   #26
MMC1
Grand Villa

Have you looked at all property up for resale right now. If a guide can’t put together your package thru ROF , must mean resale is slowing down a lot !
There is lots of resales on market but prices are staying too high maybe.
Maybe the consumer is reconsidering with onslaught of constant Disney price increases
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 06:33 AM   #27
The Talls

Default We're in !

Happy to report that we only had to wait two weeks for our desired points to come through for BWV. Got the email and call last night, gave our information and we were welcomed home.
The Talls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:40 AM   #28
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Talls View Post
Happy to report that we only had to wait two weeks for our desired points to come through for BWV. Got the email and call last night, gave our information and we were welcomed home.

Congratulations!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:27 AM   #29
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Earlier this year we were on the WL for September or October UY, BWV for about 8 weeks. Our guide kept us aware of how many were ahead of us on the WL.....if I called and asked, that is. Our intent was to purchase the 25 direct that was needed to gain ‘benefits’ before the Feb 24 deadline.

Well....nothing was happening fast.....so we added WL for our current ownerships of sept BLT, October SSR and either UY at PVB since we wouldn’t mind owning a few points there either.

On Feb 23, well over 2 weeks after adding on the other searches, we got the call that PVB came through. That was one day prior to the deadline. Now....after 8 weeks of waiting, the most expensive direct option was our only offer......?!?! After reading all of your 2-4 week waiting experiences, i’m feeling like we somehow got jipped .....

ME DH DS20 DD18
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 11:03 AM   #30
OttawaWendy
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleG View Post
With the new annual pass pricing, I'll save over $1,100 per year on gold annual passes as a direct member as opposed to buying platinum passes. 75 points direct should cost me somewhere around $3,500 more than buying resale, so it will pay off pretty quickly.
Fair enough. I'm fortunate enough to have bought both of my contracts resale before there was a distinction. I never thought using the points for the Disney collection or the concierge collection or whatever made any sense anyway. But this does make sense. Thanks for explaining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post
Earlier this year we were on the WL for September or October UY, BWV for about 8 weeks. Our guide kept us aware of how many were ahead of us on the WL.....if I called and asked, that is. Our intent was to purchase the 25 direct that was needed to gain ‘benefits’ before the Feb 24 deadline.

Well....nothing was happening fast.....so we added WL for our current ownerships of sept BLT, October SSR and either UY at PVB since we wouldn’t mind owning a few points there either.

On Feb 23, well over 2 weeks after adding on the other searches, we got the call that PVB came through. That was one day prior to the deadline. Now....after 8 weeks of waiting, the most expensive direct option was our only offer......?!?! After reading all of your 2-4 week waiting experiences, i’m feeling like we somehow got jipped .....
You probably did get ripped off. I have no faith in that part of their operation.

Little lesson. Getting "jipped" is actually getting "gyped" and its origins are from the word Gypsy (like Gypsies will cheat you). It has the same sense as "jewed", although a lot of people (I'm assuming you included) have no idea the origin of the word. Using ripped off has the same meaning without the hidden (and no doubt unintended) racism of either of the others.

OttawaBoy's birth announcement and hospital support thread - good to read if you need a cry
OttawaWendy's views on "buy where you want to stay" versus "buy where it's cheapest"
Previous trip reports:
December 2009 - AKV and SSR; March 2010 - HHI; December 2010 - Kidani; January 2013 - Boardwalk Villa (OB = 19 months); November 2013 - AKL (OB = 31 months)
OttawaWendy is offline   Reply With Quote