home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Springs
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #1
Nickys
Grand Villa

Default Security screening at DS starts Nov 5th

Back at the re-opening of Disney Springs they tested out the new EVOLV scanners there before installing them at the entrances to most of the parks.

As of today there is now security screening again at the entrances to Disney Springs. It isnít clear if this is permanent or as a result of a particular threat or perhaps a response to recent events in Europe.

https://www.wdwmagic.com/attractions...ey-springs.htm

It wouldnít surprise me if this was permanent.
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 01:42 PM   #2
brp
Add-on Aficionado

If these are the same as what they're now using at the parks, I'm fine with this. From a somewhat onerous (in a first-world sense ) process they have moved to something almost transparent. Doesn't actually do much, but makes people feel good.

Cheers.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #3
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
If these are the same as what they're now using at the parks, I'm fine with this. From a somewhat onerous (in a first-world sense ) process they have moved to something almost transparent. Doesn't actually do much, but makes people feel good.

Cheers.
The technology is pretty impressive, and it would be pretty much impossible to get anything untoward through.

Not sure why you think it doesnít do much, itís used in airports and buildings around the world.
Old 11-05-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
The technology is pretty impressive, and it would be pretty much impossible to get anything untoward through.

Not sure why you think it doesnít do much, itís used in airports and buildings around the world.
Yup. And airport security has been repeatedly shown to be a farce that is easy to circumvent. On travel boards it's routinely called Security Theatre.

But it does make people feel good. And it will catch stupid people trying to do something bad.

Cheers.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:26 PM   #5
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Yup. And airport security has been repeatedly shown to be a farce that is easy to circumvent. On travel boards it's routinely called Security Theatre.

But it does make people feel good. And it will catch stupid people trying to do something bad.

Cheers.
It is not the normal airport security, itís the kind they use where airport security is taken seriously. Did you read the article about EVOLV? It works! But youíre free to make up your own mind. Iím out of this debate.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #6
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
It is not the normal airport security, it’s the kind they use where airport security is taken seriously. Did you read the article about EVOLV? It works! But you’re free to make up your own mind. I’m out of this debate.
Sorry, didn't mean to start a debate, just sharing my opinion. Apologies for going off track. I've not read up on this technology, so I could well be wrong. I would he happy to be so

Cheers.

Last edited by brp; 11-05-2020 at 04:38 PM.
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 05:41 PM   #7
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Not sure why you think it doesn’t do much, it’s used in airports and buildings around the world.
I do think the technology looks good. Most of security is theater to me. This could be good I think. Anything that keeps security off and out of my stuff. Was I wrong in thinking these were supposed to be deployed at all parks? Or did I have a weird dream about it.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #8
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I do think the technology looks good. Most of security is theater to me. This could be good I think. Anything that keeps security off and out of my stuff. Was I wrong in thinking these were supposed to be deployed at all parks? Or did I have a weird dream about it.
If these will potentially prevent a 5 year old and their grandmother from finding a handgun in a ride seat, Iím all for it. Put them up everywhere. But, put a little cutesy, Disney spin on them.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:14 PM   #9
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
But, put a little cutesy, Disney spin on them.
Maybe they could make them look like the entrance to RotR. That's probably the closest I'll ever get to it

Cheers.
Old 11-05-2020, 06:18 PM   #10
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Maybe they could make them look like the entrance to RotR. That's probably the closest I'll ever get to it

Cheers.
Youíll get there! When is your niece traveling with you again? Put those young, lightening fast fingers to work!