home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > "Mick"-boxing (a.k.a. The Exercise Forum)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-23-2020, 01:17 PM   #11
bigbahamadada
Grand Villa

I've done a few RunDisney events and enjoyed them. Not really sure I understand the appeal of "virtual" races (other than to Disney, of course).

The Virtual Castaway Key Challenge seems like a double slap of reality . . . you can't race and you can't cruise -- but how about sending us a couple hundred bucks to remind of you the current state of affairs?????
bigbahamadada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:30 PM   #12
E2ME2
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbahamadada View Post
I've done a few RunDisney events and enjoyed them. Not really sure I understand the appeal of "virtual" races (other than to Disney, of course).

The Virtual Castaway Key Challenge seems like a double slap of reality . . . you can't race and you can't cruise -- but how about sending us a couple hundred bucks to remind of you the current state of affairs?????
Yes - I got a chuckle out of that one also !
Old 09-23-2020, 02:32 PM   #13
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cjkmiller View Post
I saw this yesterday and it made me so sad. I have run in the Princess weekend for 6 years and I love it. Over the years we now have 9 of us running different race including my DD10 who runs the 5k with us. I donít know whether to cancel the trip or not... do virtual and still go and run around disney property?? I donít know if that would make me sad. I know there is no way to distance in a corral or on the course or how to run in a mask... just further proof this isnít ending any tome soon. I hate reality sometimes.
still go and run around disney property
The way I mapped it out you could start at the TTC and run to the Floridian, out to Floridian Way to Reams turn around and run back to the Floridian to MK (you would need to pass through security) and on to the Contemporary. This would give you about 7 miles each way. I guess you could even enter the park (if you have a reservation) and do a fast walk to fantasyland and go through the castle then back out. BTW Floridian Way is the new road on the west side of the Floridian it is wide and has a nice bike lane for most of the way. They are also several side routes in and around the hotels to add mileage if needed.

further proof this isnít ending any time soon
On the other hand Epcot may do fireworks testing for the new show pre-dawn tomorrow morning so at least they are thinking about the future still.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:35 PM   #14
swat08
One Bedroom

I've been training for my 2nd Dopey Challenge so I was very disappointed when I got the news yesterday. Slept on it and took the full refund option, cancelled our resort stay for Marathon Week, and moved it to the week after Thanksgiving! I was able to piece together 1 night at CCV Studio, 6 nights in Poly studio, and 1 night in OKW 2 Bedroom. We've never stayed at OKW or in a 2 bedroom so we'll have two firsts this trip! Disappointment slowly fading away now that I have this trip to look forward to lol!
swat08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #15
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

I pretty much quit doing RunDisney several years ago, but this has been the norm for every race I planned to do this year.

There's one full in New Hampshire that apparently will go on this fall, but everything else I have heard of is either cancelled or "virtual" (I am not a fan of virtual. I will do the Peachtree Road Race virtual on Thanksgiving, but that's it)

And swat08 once you see the size of that 2 bedroom at OKW you may be spoiled for life! IT's HUGE!
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #16
swat08
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
And swat08 once you see the size of that 2 bedroom at OKW you may be spoiled for life! IT's HUGE!
LOL - yes, I'm a little worried about that!!
swat08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #17
Cjkmiller
Two Bedroom

I signed up for the wine and dine 10k as I canít see training for a virtual race and a 10k isnít too hard as I run 4 miles on most weeks runs. But I have never done that race so a virtual sounded fun... Princess makes me sad as I have done that for so long... frankly after Disneyland races being postponed indefinitely I wonder if WDW races will go that way.

If my families decide to still go I may have to do the run distance suggested with them to enjoy it together, so thank you for the course ideas!
Cjkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 07:04 PM   #18
Rozzie
Add-on Aficionado

We are getting the full refund. We both just canít seem to get into virtuals.

Secretly I am kind of relieved, Dopey wore me out last year and I was struggling with getting into marathon training again. Now that I bought a new road bike, been getting more miles that way. Now just enjoying running for fitness.

I feel awful for those who were going for the first time and been working so hard through all this COVID mess...
Rozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #19
amydevoe
One Bedroom

Doing a run Disney event is on my list of things I want to do. A small group of us have talked about running the Princess. Looks like it will have to wait another year.
amydevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:12 AM   #20
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

DH is holding out hope for his first Disney race, the Star Wars run next April.....but this news was dismaying. He did receive some cool medals for virtual runs from last year's cancelled SW races.....sure hope the April race happens, but time will tell. Sorry to folks who had theirs cancelled.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote