home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Adult Travelers - Singles, Couples, DINKS
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 01:08 PM   #1
bjackowski
One Bedroom

Default Last Minute, No Kids, Trip

Hi,

We have always talked about going to WDW without the kids, specifically for F&W so we could actually spend time in WS, and also at DS. Well, our 15 year wedding anniversary is next week and we talked about a quick trip to Traverse City, but the weather is looking far fall-ish than I'm ready for, and I've found a great deal on Priceline for what I believe is Swan (other chances are all WDW resorts). We do have points and could stay DVC, but would have to borrow so we're just leaning toward saving those for our next family trip. The other option is renting/transfer, but I'm not going the broker route and won't rent from the RTT board listings that aren't participating MOs.

Now the dilemma is, Priceline doesn't have that resort available until Sat, I'd like to be there Friday evening to have a full 3 days, and come home Tuesday. Need to decide on booking direct with Swan, SOG, rack rate w/discount somewhere), or some other option.

I also have to figure out the resort reservation thing. From my limited research into it, it's a bit of a gamble, as tickets have to be bought first. So if we buy the tickets and then don't find a reservation, we're SOL and no F&W.

I'm feeling a little crazy trying to plan this on a whim! Will keep you all posted. I've come to love reading TRs and hope to provide something, so long as we get this worked out! I've thought about postponing, but the whole month of Oct is out because I coach VB and games are on the weekends. And who knows what will be going on by Nov. Want to take the trip while we can!
bjackowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 01:52 PM   #2
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Our first no kids trip was for F&W and it was awesome. We made it an annual thing after that. So I say 'do it'!!!

I'd book the pricline thing and then add the Friday night in the cheapest DVC studio you can book with your points. That is what I'd do.

There is a link where you can check park availability.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/av...egment=tickets

There, honestly, aren't many days blocked out. And it seems it's mostly at HS. Now, the next 2 weeks have holes (on Sat and Sun). But if you are looking at a month or so out, I think you will be fine to buy tix and then make the park resie. But look at the link to see. We are going Nov 29th and I just swapped parks, today, for Dec 1st and it was no problem. Edit to add: I see you say next week. The weekdays are wide open and Sat and Sun is just booked up at HS.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:33 PM   #3
BEAM4DVC
One Bedroom

We love our alone trips as well as our whole family trips! We took our first Disney vacation when our DS started his freshman year of college. I was dealing with the empty nest blues!

As our children have gotten older (DS22, DD27 and her DH28) the vacations with the whole family look more like our alone trips! Slower pace, fewer FPs, more fine dining, no rope drops, relaxing in the parks - we do our Disney trips the way it works for us!

Have a wonderful time and don't stress the planning! Just go and enjoy!!!
BEAM4DVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:11 PM   #4
MinnieSueB
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjackowski View Post
Hi,

We have always talked about going to WDW without the kids, specifically for F&W so we could actually spend time in WS, and also at DS. Well, our 15 year wedding anniversary is next week and we talked about a quick trip to Traverse City, but the weather is looking far fall-ish than I'm ready for, and I've found a great deal on Priceline for what I believe is Swan (other chances are all WDW resorts). We do have points and could stay DVC, but would have to borrow so we're just leaning toward saving those for our next family trip. The other option is renting/transfer, but I'm not going the broker route and won't rent from the RTT board listings that aren't participating MOs.

Now the dilemma is, Priceline doesn't have that resort available until Sat, I'd like to be there Friday evening to have a full 3 days, and come home Tuesday. Need to decide on booking direct with Swan, SOG, rack rate w/discount somewhere), or some other option.

I also have to figure out the resort reservation thing. From my limited research into it, it's a bit of a gamble, as tickets have to be bought first. So if we buy the tickets and then don't find a reservation, we're SOL and no F&W.

I'm feeling a little crazy trying to plan this on a whim! Will keep you all posted. I've come to love reading TRs and hope to provide something, so long as we get this worked out! I've thought about postponing, but the whole month of Oct is out because I coach VB and games are on the weekends. And who knows what will be going on by Nov. Want to take the trip while we can!
I say definitely GO!!! I'm surprised S&D don't have anything until that Saturday on Priceline. I wonder if Disney is putting any of the resorts on Priceline right now. I used to know all the tricks to figure which resort it was on Priceline but haven't done it in a long time. I know "Hotel Canary" was a great resource in figuring out the resorts. No matter what - I say GO & ENJOY!!!
MinnieSueB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:07 PM   #5
bjackowski
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Our first no kids trip was for F&W and it was awesome. We made it an annual thing after that. So I say 'do it'!!!

I'd book the pricline thing and then add the Friday night in the cheapest DVC studio you can book with your points. That is what I'd do.

There is a link where you can check park availability.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/av...egment=tickets

There, honestly, aren't many days blocked out. And it seems it's mostly at HS. Now, the next 2 weeks have holes (on Sat and Sun). But if you are looking at a month or so out, I think you will be fine to buy tix and then make the park resie. But look at the link to see. We are going Nov 29th and I just swapped parks, today, for Dec 1st and it was no problem. Edit to add: I see you say next week. The weekdays are wide open and Sat and Sun is just booked up at HS.

Thanks for all the info! Weve changed things up a bit. Flying out Sat morning and I think were going to book BWV (SSR Sat night) and use points.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Absolutely you should go! Trips without kids are undoubtedly the best... says the guy without any.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 10:22 PM   #7
bjackowski
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAM4DVC View Post
We love our alone trips as well as our whole family trips! We took our first Disney vacation when our DS started his freshman year of college. I was dealing with the empty nest blues!

As our children have gotten older (DS22, DD27 and her DH28) the vacations with the whole family look more like our alone trips! Slower pace, fewer FPs, more fine dining, no rope drops, relaxing in the parks - we do our Disney trips the way it works for us!

Have a wonderful time and don't stress the planning! Just go and enjoy!!!
Im SO excited! Thanks!
Old 09-16-2020, 10:27 PM   #8
bjackowski
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieSueB View Post
I say definitely GO!!! I'm surprised S&D don't have anything until that Saturday on Priceline. I wonder if Disney is putting any of the resorts on Priceline right now. I used to know all the tricks to figure which resort it was on Priceline but haven't done it in a long time. I know "Hotel Canary" was a great resource in figuring out the resorts. No matter what - I say GO & ENJOY!!!
Thanks so much! Weve changed directions and bit and are probably just going to stay DVC!
Old 09-16-2020, 10:29 PM   #9
bjackowski
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Absolutely you should go! Trips without kids are undoubtedly the best... says the guy without any.
🤣. Definitely should be a good time!
Old 09-17-2020, 07:21 AM   #10
ajc
Grand Villa

We discovered F&W on an anniversary trip and loved it so we go every year now.
If you need more points The DVCstore.com/the TimeShare Store Inc. has safe and easy transfer points available and we are happy with how quickly the points are available. The only down side is the points aren't visible in your DVC account and you have to book them through a call to member services. I find this is a good way to get a different resort for 11 month priority booking without ownership and maintenance fees.

dvcstore.com/transfer.cfm

Last edited by ajc; 09-17-2020 at 07:29 AM.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote