home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-14-2020, 09:50 PM   #21
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Not sure the day by day here after....so I will post a general report from this old gal's foggy memory.

DDs liked to sleep in and B-yotched about any disruption in their sleep. I heard about any little bump and creek. Heaven forbid they get moving at 9-10am. And they weren't out bar hopping until 2am like I was at their age. No...they'd be all showered and lounging by 11pm. So WTF!!!

But DH and I would be up between 7-8 am. With me ALWAYS up first. I'd get the coffee brewing. And, BTW, the water is swampy there so best to buy the gallons of water at Kroger and use for coffee and drinking. We brought 2 cups with straws. Should have brought 4 for each of us to have 1. We ended up buying 2 more there for the other 2 people. Disney refillable mugs work great for this too...coffee in AM and then fill with booze for at the beach in PM. Next time I will bring one of those for each of us. Lord knows I have enough.

We did 2 beach days. One with just us girls. I think on Monday. We ate at home and then drove to the Dunes House and parked and went to the beach. We went up to the Dunes House for drinks and then went back to the beach. Hung for a bit and then went back to the resort.

We did a day at the pool, I think Tuesday. We went down and took beverages. This is when we noticed a large family...like of 15 (grandma and 2 adult kids and grandkids) who took a spot at pool...like a large spot with the capacity cut in half...like 1/3 of the chairs. They were cannon balling and playing music loud and throwing a ball at each other super hard. It was a bit chaotic and hoggish of the pool. It turned out to be an every day- most of the day- thing. It was barely calm and empty at the pool. My last time there was dead at that pool. We did get some 8pm ish hot tub sessions in...all alone. Was fun just us girls. DH won't do a public hot tub.

Wed, DH was done work at noon and we did the beach again. We had lunch at the Dunes House. All out doors and pretty good. Had a shrimp wrap. And great drinks. Can be busy so hit it up early or late. And it is very casual in bathing suit attire.

DH and DDs, Irish they are, got super burned. I told them to apply SPF 50 and often but, no, they were all good. I said it would be worse later, But, no, it was fine. HA!!! Who was right??? They never listen. Did I get sunburn? Nope!

Next up is meals...bunch of dinners. We really liked eating breakfast/lunch in the room. Girls never were up for breakfast so that was easy for DH and I...protein bars and bananas and coffee. We got meats and dips and chips and veges and fruits and cheese for lunches like small plates...hummus and pretzel chips and a fruit bowl and whatnot. That worked well. We did the one lunch at the Dunes House and maybe one other lunch out.

DDs and I shopped one day at the Shelter Cove plaza over by Kroger. We popped into Poseidon's outdoor bar for drinks and sushi/shrimp cocktail. Service is slow there too. The bartender was chatting with us and still slow. Mind boggling to me. But we were in no hurry. This was Thur and the girls had sunburn so we had to stay out of the sun anyway. And DH was in the villa working.

Next up is all the meals....tomorrow for sure.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Last edited by Lamima; 06-14-2020 at 09:57 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 10:01 PM   #22
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Beach day...us girls

Poseidon day (1st pic is the area they do concerts and DDs were obsessed with the one chair in the field. One DD is on stage and other in chair)

Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Old 06-14-2020, 11:18 PM   #23
Crafty
Grand Villa

Great pictures! Thank you.

Poor girls.....I can really see the sunburn in the pics.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:32 AM   #24
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Great pictures!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #25
AnnaS
Add-on Aficionado

Great pictures! Thank you for sharing. Would love to be there!!

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #26
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Okay so meals...
Told you about Crazy Crab, San Miguel's and the Dunes House. Let's see what else we did...

I mentioned DDs and I sat at outside bar at Poseidon for drinks and we got a sushi plate and shrimp cocktail. This was after we ate our small plates style lunch at home. The sushi was really good. Service is slow here, always. But not god awful.

Another night, maybe Tuesday, we went to Frosty Frog. We sat outside and had big frozen drinks and food. I just got the seared ahi tuna app which I LOVE here. For being very casual and beach bungalow dive-ish, the food is surprisingly good, IMO. It isn't very pricey either. We go every trip. And I love the outdoor area.

Later that night DH and went to the Other Sister's Wine Bar to check it out. They opened about a year ago. The owner's husband stands outside and tries to get customers. Our balcony overlooked that and I watched him for days..."hey guys, come on in...we have a great chef and really good cocktails". It seemed dead all the time. So I wanted to check it out. We sat at the outside bar and got wine and their biggest charcuterie board. It was meh. The cheeses were just slices. But we ate a small bit since we weren't hungry and packed it up for in the room. My wine was so-so as well. It was this night I realized red wine in the heat isn't the best choice. We continued to drink our box wine in the room. Then I had a restless sleep and just felt cruddy the next day.

But we felt this wine bar was struggling and then Thursday came and the place was packed the rest of the week. So I think that marina is super busy Thur (due to them typically having live music and fireworks) to Sun. It's a great place to visit in afternoons or Mon-Wed evenings. Bucci and Murrays is closed Mondays though.

One DD chose Charbar for a dinner. We had never been. She wanted the booze milkshakes. So we went one night. There was a wait for a table but the bar had 4 seats so we just sat there. They have an outdoor bar area too. DH got a burger that he said was really really good. Us gals all got a booze milkshake and they were good. Then we each chose a sushi plate and got a side of cheese fries. They were delish. Service was quick and attentive and they were very friendly. Really enjoyed it and will go back. It is casual and reasonably priced.

Other DD chose a place for dinner that was in Coligny like Frosty Frog called the Big Bamboo. It has a great happy hour from 4-6. We didn't want to go back to Coligny and mess with parking (that plaza can be hopping and it was now towards the end of the week when it's most hopping). So we talked her out of it and went to Marley's instead. We sat outside. They have an early bird deal until 5:30 but we had just missed it. It is a select menu anyway and we wanted other things. I got tilefish and DH got salmon. Also got a backscratcher drink. Saw another lady with one and had to get it. I got one once at Ohana and used the scratcher that came in it to scratch the dog at home. I had it in our TV stand. When we moved it disappeared. I suspect the packer broke it shoving it in a box...or they had it in one of the wardrobe boxes which they also unpacked for us and took the empty wardrobe boxes away (maybe it was down in bottom).

One day for lunch we drove into Sea Pines to eat at Salty Dog. DH chose it and thought lunch time would not be busy. This was Friday and storms were in the forecast. We had wanted one more beach day but DH's feet were burned and swollen and one DD burned the back of her legs and the other burned her shoulders. So they just couldn't be in the sun. And thunderstorms were in the forecast for Friday and Saturday.

So we head over to Sea Pines around noon. Pay the $8 to get in the gate and drive the long winding road in. Navigate through the hordes of biking folks, really...they were all over the place and didn't pay attention to cars. We decided this area of HHI is not for us. But anyway, we park in the huge lot that is packed and walk up to see a big line to check in for Salty Dog. While in line it starts to downpour. Yet folks stay at the outdoor tables and bars and in line to check in. DD and I run under one of the covered bars and stand there. DH and other DD stay in line so we see if we can get a drink while we wait. DH is told a 90 minute wait for inside or like 60 for outside. He says first available and joins us under the bar area. We stand there debating what to do. It is pouring pretty hard. We decide to forget it. He goes back to the line to cancel. This entire time we never were waited on at the bar. It was like 20 minutes.

So we leave and head to that triangle of restaurants where One Hot Mama's is. We rush in through raindrops. We debate going to One Hot Mama's but we went last trip and weren't super thrilled. Last time we went for a happy hour and it was packed and service was SLOW. And we were living in NC and used to some fabulous BBQ. OHM just didn't compare, IMO.

So we go to Reilley's. We'd never been there. Went inside and there were only like 3 tables with people. So we were seated far apart. I got fish and chips and it was good. DH got the Shepherd's pie. He said it was just okay. DDs...got wraps or something. It is a casual pub style. No need to return as it didn't wow us. But if wanting beer and pub food and not busy, have at it.

I forgot that Monday night we went to Guiseppi's over in SHelter Cove plaza (by Kroger). This is another reasonably priced place. We went as close to 5pm as possible and were seated right away, inside. They have 1/2 the tables going. Cannot recall if they had outdoor seating...I do think they did. When we left there was a HUGE wait. I had chicken parm lunch portion. One DD got a wedgie thing (basically a pizza folded in half like a sandwich). She ate half and took the other half home for DH to eat for lunch. We got drinks in souvenir glasses, well DH and DDs did. I just got a sangria in a regular glass.

We had arrived Sunday and I went Monday morning to Kroger while DDs were still asleep and DH was working. When DDs got up we were going to eat at the beach at the Dunes House but realized DH didn't have lunch. I hadn't thought of that when I was at Kroger. We usually just get water, coffee, breakfast stuff and not much else. ANd eat out 2 meals a day. Figure we eat so much crap when eating out that we also don't need any snacks in the room. So we don't get in a lot of groceries.

So instead of us girls heading out and letting the DH fend for himself, we wanted to walk down to Bucci and Murrays for take out sandwiches. That's when we noticed they were closed Mondays. So we walked down to the Social Bakery and got carry out lunch there. They have quiches and baked sandwich things that came with side salads. They have several types of each. They were really good. About $9 a meal. Came with a little cranberry cookie that was to die for.

And our very last night, Friday night (after Reilley's lunch) everyone was crabby and it was still pouring rain. Nobody wanted to do anything. I wanted DH and I to go on a date night somewhere nice like Bistro 17. But he was even done in. His feet were killing him and he had trouble putting socks and shoes on. So we ordered Wayback via DoorDash...just burgers. And finished all our veges, pretzel chips, hummus, olives, guac and fruit....and our booze we had left (seltzers and beer). Sat on patio with table pushed out of rain and watched the rain pour on the marina. Later that night, between rain showrs, DH and I walked down to Scott's to sit at bar and have a drink. DDs walked the marina to see sunset and take pics of it. This is when I learned I like a white Russian drink.

We then discussed just going home the next day, Saturday. We had until 10am Sunday but the drive is 10.5 hours and DH had to work today. I suggested we get up leisurely and pack up and head out whenever. Since we had until the next morning. Maybe drive 1/2 or a bit more and get hotel. Other option was to stay and leave at like 8am on Sunday. We wanted one more beach day...but the forecast wasn't looking promising. DH suggested we just go early-ish on Saturday and drive straight home, but us gals didn't want to get up early especially when we didn't have to be checked out by a certain time. So we went to bed unknowing what we'd do. Played it by ear.

DH and I woke and had planned to go to a place called Kenny B's to get beignets and cafe au laits to bring back to the villa. We saw on maps that it was down in Coligny plaza area and we didn't want to go down there and deal with the circle and parking. So we walked over to the Social bakery instead. We each picked out a pastry, mostly desserts, and got the girls iced lattes.

The girls had gotten up and started packing up. Guess they didn't want to have to get up at like 6-7am the next day. I had to take out all trash and recycling and I washed all the dishes. I also piled up all the towels. And packed us up. It wasn't raining but was cloudy and the accuweather was saying there'd be storms all day (various times). So we just hit the road at 11am. And drove straight through. Got home at 10:30pm.

Love it there, but less busy times than June-August. The large family at the pool every day, the grandma owns a 3BR quarter share there and she is texting me her fall-winter weeks available to rent. They only have a couple 3BR units so it will be nice to have a contact. However, it really is a far drive. DH and I talked about finding a closer beach. When we lived in NC we liked to go to Wilmington area beaches. So that might work. We also liked Outer Banks. I need to google maps it and see. Don't mind a 6-7 hour drive. Not into much longer than that.

Any folks have questions, I am happy to answer.

Final pics...

Wine Bar

Frosty Frog (this is outdoors, but covered)

Marley's (my back scratcher drink and tilefish dinner)

DD at grocery wanting to buy this thing at end of our trip

sunset in Shelter Cove (they have THE best sunsets)

White Russian at Scott's

Bakery last breakfast

Video of pouring rain... (if it works)

Last edited by Lamima; 06-15-2020 at 03:56 PM.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:48 PM   #27
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Thank you for your trip report! I will go back through the food in finer detail.

Most of all, it’s just great to hear about a real vacation!

We were planning on stopping just South of Richmond (we won’t be able to get away until Noon on Sunday), but I may try to push as far as Emporia so we can get to HHI a bit earlier on our Monday arrival. We booked a Hilton Garden Inn south of Richmond precisely so we could have a hot breakfast before hitting the road since the “free breakfast” hotels may be constrained for awhile.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #28
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
Dirk, I was also going to say the Sonesta to me is better for going to places to eat off. the resort. Youíre very near that Coligny Circle area where there are tons of options. We stayed close enough last time in a condo that we can walk, Iím not sure the Sonesta is actually walkable but if you didnít want to drive it would be a very inexpensive Uber trip which is definitely worth considering if youíd like to have a few adult beverages ( and since I know you and Jim are Episcopalian priests I figure youíre not really opposed to adult beverages. I am a cradle Episcopalian and in almost 60 years I havenít met many teetotaler priests)
Jim is actually a teetotaler (Heíll freely tell you heís already had his lifetime quota), but I will be enjoying wine. And weíll be with friends, a priest and her wife, who definitely have not met their lifetime quota.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #29
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

Thanks for posting about your trip! We have not visited Hilton Head Island yet, so your TR gave me lots of ideas! Thanks for all the tidbits about parking, circles, and general tourist-y stuff!!
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 04:12 PM   #30
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Also wanted to add, about the Disney resort in HH...if you do weeknights it isn't as costly as weekends. If you can do 3-5 nights. June weeknights for a 2BR taking point cost times annual dues per point you are at like $337. A bit high but the staff there are fabulous and that beach house with a pool, bar and food counter is really a godsend in case of storms or too much sun for someone in the group. Undercover parking too. Plus the pool area with all the activities and the marsh back at the resort. It is wonderful. Rooms by pool can be noisy as can bottom level rooms with folks stomping around above (but that is ALL DVC resorts). We have had some quiet locations too with lovely marsh views. And the time we did a grand villa over New Year's, with the wood burning fireplace

We listed our 3 contracts for sale on the trip and 2 sold, leaving us with one 50 pointer there. Not sure what to do with that!?!?!? DH wants to keep it and I think we will. Can always bank/borrow and do a few nights there in off season sometime. Or even book a week in a rental and add 2 nights at the Disney place just to get our dose of it. It is really a great resort.

Thank you all for the nice comments and for following along!!!