home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-14-2020, 04:33 PM   #11
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Thanks for the tip on the Sonesta, especially about the grounds. That's really important to me. It's a also a little cheaper, and the rooms are larger! Perfect view isn't necessary - just easy access.

The Omni website says their adult pool is definitely closed for the summer for the refurb. That's another concern.

I'm thinking will end up keeping the Sonesta reservation, but I don't have to decide until a week before we go.

Dirk
Look at renting at Villamare. Or there is the Marriott right there too. All by the Disney Beach house. But Sonesta looks so nice. I looked at it for us. But we needed more space. I think Sonesta is near Coligny so you have that close by. That is THE busiest area of the island though. But maybe you could get there easier from Sonesta. We drove in from Shelter Cove and had to get in that stupid circle. That took forever sometimes but we found a way around it. Of course everyone was picking meals at places over by Coligny so we did it like 4 times. That horrible circle.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #12
Crafty
Grand Villa

It is disturbing that DVC HHI won’t release the keys until 4 pm. The policy has always been that you could use the amenities on day of check-in. Without the keys, you can’t get into the beach house!

This seems like a major change in policy. I don’t care about getting into the room before 4 pm, but we sometimes arrive around noon and use the amenities.

Another draconian virus thing? And completely unnecessary.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:11 PM   #13
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Look at renting at Villamare. Or there is the Marriott right there too. All by the Disney Beach house. But Sonesta looks so nice. I looked at it for us. But we needed more space. I think Sonesta is near Coligny so you have that close by. That is THE busiest area of the island though. But maybe you could get there easier from Sonesta. We drove in from Shelter Cove and had to get in that stupid circle. That took forever sometimes but we found a way around it. Of course everyone was picking meals at places over by Coligny so we did it like 4 times. That horrible circle.
There is a back way around the circle. I go to the quilting store off the circle. My daughter drives and wonít drive around the circle. Turn left off of 278 before arriving at the circle. I think that it is New Orleans Rd.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:14 PM   #14
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Dirk, I was also going to say the Sonesta to me is better for going to places to eat off. the resort. Youíre very near that Coligny Circle area where there are tons of options. We stayed close enough last time in a condo that we can walk, Iím not sure the Sonesta is actually walkable but if you didnít want to drive it would be a very inexpensive Uber trip which is definitely worth considering if youíd like to have a few adult beverages ( and since I know you and Jim are Episcopalian priests I figure youíre not really opposed to adult beverages. I am a cradle Episcopalian and in almost 60 years I havenít met many teetotaler priests)
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 05:39 PM   #15
Crafty
Grand Villa

Okay...maybe I am an alarmist, but I would not eat or drink at an indoor dining venue in South Carolina this summer.

Virus counts are high and rising here. On HHI, people travel in from lots of other parts of the country for vacation. Even if there is social distancing of tables, there is the spread through air conditioned air currents. People without masks talk, laugh, and linger in restaurants. Why take the risk. There are outdoor bars and dining opportunities available that will considerably reduce risk.

We are going to HHI for several short trips this summer. I donít want to bring the virus home with me like a hitch-hiking ghost in the car. We will be eating and drinking outdoors or using takeout.
Old 06-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #16
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Well most Hilton head restaurants as I understand have opened a lot of outdoor seating.

Now letís go to the spread through the air conditioning. This Internet fear was based on one report out of China where they believe that people were infected by someone sitting near an air conditioning intake. Thereís several problems with that study. Number one it was never re-created it in any other place, number two it wasin the city where there was a pandemic and there was not an effort to verify that there was no other exposure for those people. Your risk of being contaminated by the air conditioning is incredibly low based on reliable medial sources.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 06:39 PM   #17
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
It is disturbing that DVC HHI wonít release the keys until 4 pm. The policy has always been that you could use the amenities on day of check-in. Without the keys, you canít get into the beach house!

This seems like a major change in policy. I donít care about getting into the room before 4 pm, but we sometimes arrive around noon and use the amenities.

I think she is referring to the other condo they rented, not DVC
Old 06-14-2020, 06:52 PM   #18
Wonderdog4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Thanks for the tip on the Sonesta, especially about the grounds. That's really important to me. It's a also a little cheaper, and the rooms are larger! Perfect view isn't necessary - just easy access.

The Omni website says their adult pool is definitely closed for the summer for the refurb. That's another concern.

I'm thinking will end up keeping the Sonesta reservation, but I don't have to decide until a week before we go.

Dirk
Up until about five years ago I traveled to HHI a couple times a year for business. I've stayed at both the Omni and the Sonesta. I definitely prefer the Sonesta.

With that said, when we travel to HHI for leisure, we almost always rent a condo in Harbour Town. There are a large number to choose from and the prices are reasonable. Also, there are loads of shops and restaurants in the area and it is very walkable.
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 07:23 PM   #19
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
It is disturbing that DVC HHI wonít release the keys until 4 pm. The policy has always been that you could use the amenities on day of check-in. Without the keys, you canít get into the beach house!

This seems like a major change in policy. I donít care about getting into the room before 4 pm, but we sometimes arrive around noon and use the amenities.

No, not Disney but another timeahare place we rented from an owner....its a quarter share place where 4 people own the condo and get 13 weeks a year each. They were strict about the 4pm key pick up. Sorry for confusion.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:24 PM   #20
eandjmom
One Bedroom

Thanks for sharing pictures from the condo you rented. Very intriguing. I can definitely understand about the high HHI dues. We use our SSR points each year to stay at HHI.

We love Bucci and Murray's when we are there. The take-out pizza is really quite good and a decent deal for HHI prices! Also, they have something called Irish nachos that DH loves! I will walk over there to order the pizza and enjoy a cocktail or two while they make our to-go order.
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote