home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-14-2020, 09:08 AM   #1
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Default June 7-13 Hilton Head vacay (not DVC)

We had HHI DVC booked for mother's day weekend. Then when Flower and Garden concerts were announced and we saw Survivor listed for end of the festival we moved from HHI trip to WDW for end of May to June 4. Our 2 DDs-21 also were booked for 2 nights during that time for a trip with a couple friends...they had plans to then do beach trip as both friends(parents) own beach area condos in FL. And DH and I managed to snag 2 nights at AKV club level. Plus a brunch resie at CG.

Well...when we realized that WDW would not be open by then we bumped to June 20th for Father's Day week with some friends. Snagged a dinner resie at Victoria and Alberts. Held on and watched the situation go a while.

About May 15th we started to feel like WDW wouldn't be open by the June 20 or if they were, not everything would be open and we would have to wear masks in the heat and FL sun. And SC beaches had opened so we bumped to June at HHI. Grabbed up 3 nights, the 10-13. I wanted to grab July dates but DH was wanting to go ASAP while he was still working from home and also because we were itching for a vacy. I also added a few nights onto our Jan marathon trip at BWV with extra points. Then we booked a condo in Shelter Cove (marina the Disney resort is on) for June 7-10. We had a 10.5 hour drive (without stops) so we needed a long trip and not just 3 nights.

Well...watched and waited and got frustrated and watched and waited. And on May 24th we messaged the Shelter Cove rental to ask if we could just book that whole week and they booked it for us immediately and sent us confirmation. So I cancelled the DVC room. Turns out HHI DVC opens the 15th so our dates did just miss the opening and they would have cancelled us. They would have cancelled our June 20 arrival to WDW as well since we also would have just missed the June 22 opening.

Now...yesterday we did the maths. Our dues for a 2BR at HHI for 1 week in June would be like $3100 or something like that. Just our dues. And we paid $1400 for a 2BR rental in Shelter Cove (at Harbourside III). We could rent 2 for the cost of our dues. Fortunately, while on the trip, we listed our HHI contracts for sale and sold 2 of the 3 within 2 days. So bye bye high dues. We will stick to renting off Disney property at HHI. Though may not go so often now that we live 10.5 hours away compared to 5 hours away we lived before.

....gotta go get a run in before too hot....to be continued afterwards....

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Last edited by Lamima; 06-15-2020 at 03:59 PM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 09:29 AM   #2
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Iíve looked at buying a Marriott timeshare there and came to that same conclusion. for the price of the dues I could just rent. For example for what you paid Iím getting a week one block off the beach in Sea Pines. In a two bedroom two bath at the end of June. It just financially makes more sense to me rent a villa from an owner

I had HHI points, but sold them after I stayed there. Itís a very nice resort I just did not like the location and I didnít really need the points to use for anything else
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

So I didn't need to worry about running before it got hot as back here in PA it's in the 50s. Ugghhh, what the heck.

So Carol (above) makes a great point about location. We too loved the HHI DVC resort...great staff and lovely rooms. Loved looking at the marsh and having the beach house with a pool and food/bar counters. But location being like 2 miles from the beach....hmm. We used to think that was no problem as we didn't LIVE on the beach during our trips. Being pale Irish folks, we can't sit in the sun very long and not every day. So the Disney resort was nice. We could pop in our car and drive over to spend about 3 hours at the beach. If rain was in the forecast, so what. We could be up in the beach house area under cover if it started raining. If quick shower, then you can go back to the beach. I noticed, this trip, that rain was in forecast and we hesitated to pack up and drive over to fight for parking and lug out to the beach in fear it would then start pouring. So we only went to beach 2 days out of 6. Spent another day at the pool, since rain was in forecast and we could run back to our room which happened to be almost THE closest to the pool.

Another thing is the noise level. This trip we noticed a lot of noise at all times of day/night. Shelter Cove dining/bars shut down around 10PM due to noiise ordinance but from like 8am to 10pm there is music playing, dogs barking and people hooting it up. Then, even after 10pm you can hear people hooting (maybe on their balconies) and other noises (heard lots of emergency vehicles going this trip...like 5 times). Then starting at 7am there is dumpster pick up right outside our building and the others next door (loud slamming/clunking) and leaf blowing....7-8am every day. And they do yoga in the pavilion right there and play music. Can also hear folks flip flopping, talking, kids running and hooting on the hallway of the building and down the steps (which we were right by). There is a trash shoot on each floor and you could hear folks throwing stuff down at odd hours. DH and I in the master were more sheltered from noise but DDs room was right at the outdoor hallway (their window looked at the hall and stairs down). Also, car beeps and car doors slamming in parking lot all hours.

DH loves the Shelter Cove area for ability to walk to many dining venues with bars and have drinks and walk back (no driving). I do like that. But I'd like a little more quiet and easier access to the beach. I love the Villamare beach front resort. Might try that next time. We also get frustrated with all the bikers. It can be hard to drive and avoid them. It was heavy with folks biking. We went into Sea Pines and it was crazy trying to navigate with the hordes of bikers. Even my runs were tough to avoid being run over by inexperienced or not paying attention bikers (and we're talking 8am runs). So, I don't know what location would be best but we need to venture more. If we go back. Might move our beach trips up the coast a bit for a shorter drive. To NC somewhere.

The villa...it is a quarter share resort. It is gated and even has coded access to the stairs, elevators, pool, pool bathroom, gate to the marina (where bars, food, shopping are) along with gated parking lot. Was a pain to push codes to access everything. And tough to get our Ford Explorer up to gate to push code to enter. But you feel very safe in your villa, for sure. We could go places and not lock the door.

It is nicely appointed. Not themed like Disney but very clean and comfortable (except, according to DH, the bed). I took 2 photos of the villa and will post. They just remodeled the master bath and it's lovely. They have full kitchen with washer and dryer. A nice balcony to people watch. Comes with sheets and towels and dish soap, DW soap, roll of paper towels, 4 trash bags, coffee filters, dish towels and sponge, several little bar soaps and tiny shampoo/conditioner/lotion in each bathroom. HAd 2 rolls of TP and 1 box of klenex in each bathroom. Plus 1 thing of laundry soap for 1 load. You have to bring or buy anything needed beyond that. They clean when you leave. So kinda like DVC in that regard. Kitchen is nicely stocked with kitchenwares.

Gotta go to grocery...be back later...

Next trip(s):Jan 18-23 SSR, Sept 2-7 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Old 06-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #4
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for taking the time to share.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I started looking at Harborside III for rentals when you started report, but saw just how much entertainment there was in the area from the homepage. They definitely are promoting it as a happening place.

It’s way more expensive, but I’m in the mood to be pampered, so we’ll keep Sonesta or Omni as our destination. I wouldn’t mind a rental on the beach, though . . .

I’ve always wanted to stay at Disney’s HHI and would seriously consider it if they had availability this summer. We would probably have only a couple of true beach days, so the distance could be manageable.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
Crafty
Grand Villa

Noise has been an issue for us at the DVC HHI resort lately. On our February trip, they put us in an interior villa with several recreational choices below our balcony. Every morning at 7am, we were awakened by shrieking children. This continued sporadically until well after dark.

On another recent trip they placed us near the pool with music playing all day long and activities involving loudspeakers.

While I recognize that DVC is primarily for families, we go to HHI to relax and unwind. I like to sleep late on vacation. Rope drop? Not for us.

For years we never had a problem. The noise seems to be a fairly recent development. We always request a quiet location. Last time, the CM at check-in congratulated us on our villa being in the center of the action!

We are looking to buy a quiet condo so we donít have to stay there anymore.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:41 PM   #7
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I started looking at Harborside III for rentals when you started report, but saw just how much entertainment there was in the area from the homepage. They definitely are promoting it as a happening place.

Itís way more expensive, but Iím in the mood to be pampered, so weíll keep Sonesta or Omni as our destination. I wouldnít mind a rental on the beach, though . . .

Iíve always wanted to stay at Disneyís HHI and would seriously consider it if they had availability this summer. We would probably have only a couple of true beach days, so the distance could be manageable.

Dirk

I stayed at the Sonesta and at the Omni when it was the Hilton. Personally if it was me I would go with the Sonesta I think the grounds are much more luxurious and it just had a much nicer feel. Iím sure the Omni has done a good job with the hotel but there is only so much you can do with that physical space. Now I do understand the Omni probably has better oceanview rooms because the Sonesta is set a little back. But those grounds the ocean front bar etc.

Also of it is important to you verify that Omni adult pool is open. Apparently right now itís closed for a complete remodel (which makes no sense why they didnít do that in the winter instead of summerí).
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolA View Post
I stayed at the Sonesta and at the Omni when it was the Hilton. Personally if it was me I would go with the Sonesta I think the grounds are much more luxurious and it just had a much nicer feel. Iím sure the Omni has done a good job with the hotel but there is only so much you can do with that physical space. Now I do understand the Omni probably has better oceanview rooms because the Sonesta is set a little back. But those grounds the ocean front bar etc.

Also of it is important to you verify that Omni adult pool is open. Apparently right now itís closed for a complete remodel (which makes no sense why they didnít do that in the winter instead of summerí).
Thanks for the tip on the Sonesta, especially about the grounds. That's really important to me. It's a also a little cheaper, and the rooms are larger! Perfect view isn't necessary - just easy access.

The Omni website says their adult pool is definitely closed for the summer for the refurb. That's another concern.

I'm thinking will end up keeping the Sonesta reservation, but I don't have to decide until a week before we go.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #9
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

Iíve always wanted to stay at Disneyís HHI and would seriously consider it if they had availability this summer. We would probably have only a couple of true beach days, so the distance could be manageable.

Dirk
Sometimes a lone day at the DVC resort will appear on the RAT. Last year we got a random day in a studio during our Marriott stay. We took it and used it for 2 day access to the beach house. Also, if you call the front desk, they may get you a last minute cancellation.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2020, 04:31 PM   #10
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

So... I typed up a long thing and then accidentally deleted it. Poo.

Basically said the Sonesta looks lovely. Wanted to do the seafood buffet they have there on a trip last year but we never made it over. I would imagine that buffet is closed now.

Was talking more about location and noise. Mentioned we had a 2BR poolside at the DVC resort once and our balcony overlooked the water slide. DH had to work that week too so it was bad. Noise from like 9am to 9pm. But, didn't bother me. Still slept well from 11-7. This trip didn't really bother ME so much either. I am up around 7am so if the dumpsters get emptied then, no issue for me as I'm up. Just stunk for DDs-21. Maybe a different villa in the building would be nicer if others come and use the 2nd BR. I think I'd get one over San Miguel's more next time. Though I would like to try other parts of the island.

I started a day by day. Guess we can scrap that. Will say we left Sat morning and stopped in Smithfield NC at a HI Express. DS lives and works in Wake Forest so we met up with him that night. Had our 1st dinner out, AT a restaurant, in 3 months. Was Buffalo Wild Wings which was not what I was hoping for but it was what we could get that night. Everyone wore masks in and out of there and staff wore masks. They only had 1/2 tables going and no bar seats. Some things were not available on menu but not a lot. Most things were available (that was theme for the week...1-2 things not available at each place).

Next day we got on road around 8:45am. The free breakfast at hotel was a table with bowls of: pears, oranges, individually wrapped non-descript muffins, individually wrapped hard boiled eggs and water bottles. NO COFFEE! So we popped into Sheetz for gas and breakfast and coffee while the DDs were getting dressed.

Got to the island around 1:30 and stopped at Crazy Crab on the way in. It is on the main drag when you cross onto the island. It is marsh front and has huge covered outdoor deck with bar. We always get a boiled pot there. Nice light lunch. Great drinks and service. Casual, can be busy and a bit pricey (most on the island is...Disney prices).

The resort has strict 4pm check in. They put your packet with keys in a box for you to get but it's not unlocked until 4pm. My idea was to stop at Kroger but DH hates to do that stuff and he vetoed it. So we parked at resort (they give you gate code in e-mail before the trip) and went out to the marina bars.

There are several condo buildings in Shelter cove and the bottom floors are shopping/dining venues. Under the building we were in, III, is San Miguel's and a candy/ice cream shop (there's also I and II and then Yacht Club and maybe another...I is closest to Disney with Scott's and the HH Social Bakery and Bistro 17 in the bottom ...II has Bucci and Murrays and a new place called The Other Sister's Wine Bar...a fancy place on the very end is called Ella's). There are several shops as well, like 3 or 4 plus an Everything Christmas shop and a new fancy market with stuff to make meals.

https://www.welcometosheltercove.com/map (they have the Wine Bar and Bakery swapped on the map).

We went to Bucci and Murrays outdoor bar for $6 drinks. Had a couple. Service was slow as it always seems to be here, at their outside bar. We ate inside last time and it was very good. They are a mix of seafood, Italian and Irish. I had a great fish special last time. They also have a pizza carry out counter. I hear they have a large pizza special one night that's a great deal. They have happy hours, as do all of them.

It was now 4pm so we paid and went to grab our packet. Unpacked and DH and I ran to Kroger. I think mainly for water. We grabbed like 5 things in a hurry and went back (I would then go the next morning to get a bigger haul). We were getting hungry and were tired so DH and I went down to San Miguel's and sat inside at bar. They had live music outside and it was really busy out there. Nice and quiet and easy to sit inside at bar. DDs were tired and crabby so they didn't want to come. And DH typically says no to Latino food but since he was tired and hungry he agreed. He does like the outside bar here since many long term owners in the area tend to hang there and drink all day and are fun to chat with. The food was good but not many non Mexican options. No burgers or anything. Salads were good. We got To-Go for the DDs who scarfed theirs down lickety split. And they said it was soo soooo good. One DD couldn't stop talking about the salad dressing on the Cabo Wabo.

So that's day 1. Here are some pics. More tomorrow....

Crazy Crab

Bucci and Murrays

Condo (new bathroom reno and dining area and patio later in week)

Last edited by Lamima; 06-15-2020 at 04:25 PM.