home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Bibbity Bobbity Buying
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-11-2020, 08:41 PM   #171
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
October 2020 Update

Just this past week, I accepted another position & we are moving again. Hello, Alabama! We made an offer on a new home in the Montgomery area yesterday & seller accepted it. We will move by the end of the year.

I'll miss our place on the lake in Oklahoma. But once we get it ready & on the market, it will make a wonderful home for a new family.

This is a lateral move, made mostly for better school for Samantha and better access to medical care for Grandma.

However - reducing the drive to our vacation home from 17 hours to 7 is a huge draw as well.

I expect to be spending even more time in FL after our move to AL!

Congratulations! Almost worthwhile for the reduction in driving time alone.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:19 PM   #172
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Thank you!!! I am excited. I knew my MO friends would understand that.

A 7 hour drive makes a long weekend worthwhile, while 17 means it's not worth it for anything less than a week. The new job is likely to be more hectic, so having a retreat for long weekends may be a very good thing. I'm not so sure taking a full week off is going to happen again for a year or so.

Mindy, thanks for asking about Grandma. We had a few scares, everything is fine now. Still, it is likely better to be in easy ambulance distance to good hospitals rather than betting emergency health care on the helicopter plan.

So now I'm thinking about how much to put down on our new house. The decision is around how much down on the new place versus how much I want to pay down the mortgage on the vacation place with the equity from the OK lake house. Craig mentioned this as an option & at first it didn't make sense to me.

But the more I think about it, the more I realize I never have any intention of paying off primary residence. It just doesn't make that much sense given how often I move for work. Paying off the vacation house, on the other hand, is definitely a goal. My current plan involves paying it off in 7 years. Putting a chunk towards that now means we might be able to pay it off & own it free and clear sometime around me turning 50, give or take a year. Since our vacation home will become our retirement home over time, maybe this makes more sense than I initially thought.

I'll call our financial advisor tomorrow & run this past him. This may be one of those thoughts that seems like a good idea but has implications I'm not considering.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:07 AM   #173
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
October 2020 Update

Just this past week, I accepted another position & we are moving again. Hello, Alabama! We made an offer on a new home in the Montgomery area yesterday & seller accepted it. We will move by the end of the year.

Congrats on your new job and your new home!!!
Old 10-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #174
Raspus
Two Bedroom

Congratulations on the move. New house, new job and 10 hours closer to your vacation home. Good deal.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #175
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
October 2020 Update

I'll miss our place on the lake in Oklahoma. But once we get it ready & on the market, it will make a wonderful home for a new family.

This is a lateral move, made mostly for better school for Samantha and better access to medical care for Grandma.

However - reducing the drive to our vacation home from 17 hours to 7 is a huge draw as well.

I expect to be spending even more time in FL after our move to AL!
Congratulations Amy on the move and new job!!! We plan to purchase an orlando home in the future too did you keep any of your dvc contracts or did you decide to sell them all? It will be nice to be 7 hours from WDW I am 24 hours and it is a tough drive