home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 05:23 PM   #41
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
New buyers can get into SSR and OKW with only a 50 point purchase.
Interesting. Did not know that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
Helen, appreciate your insight as always but I am ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE I will never buy direct from Disney - I will be in my 70's when 2042 rolls around!
I'm partially playing. I figured you were talking about yourself. We may be passing a contract on. In 2042 we will be turning 65. I still have a non quit claim OKW too that we will see about.

We did a mix of both from Disney. Small contracts or new resorts can be direct. I could've bought more points in resale but I didn't want the MFs or to rent. So it made sense
Old 07-11-2019, 06:33 PM   #42
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Quote:
People thought BLT starting over $100 pp was crazy......Then VGF came along at $145 pp.

Remember, you can't just look at the cost per point. Its number of points left in the contract, yearly MF and purchase price, then point usage.

Example: BCV 100 points $155 pp, $15,500 total. 23 years left. 2300 points in the contract. MF is $6.94 pp (2019).

Sunk cost per point is $6.74 - that will never change. $6.74 + $6.94 = $13.68 pp is your cost in 2019. July 20-27 in a studio is 134 points.

134 x $13.68 = $1833.12 for one week in a Studio at Beach Club Resort. Current cash rate for a non-view hotel room at Beach Club is $3800.
Sorry, more on this, now that I'm REALLY thinking about it - I know we have the ROFR board to see trends in what has been taken and what has passed. Does MO have any threads or stickies that have trend data on sunk costs per point at various resorts? That would be interesting, and sure changes the conversation about "worth it" or not! Maybe I should have, but I never looked at my own contracts this way, and have a whole new appreciation for the value of my DVC "portfolio"
2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:34 PM   #43
heathpack
Studio

I just was in this situation and advised absolutely against buying. The points charts debacle of this year and the resale restrictions on Riveria spoke loud and clear to me. DVC used to be one of the good guys in Timeshares, but they are moving in the direction of being just like all the others- rather than enticing you to buy by offering a solid product, they attempt to coerce you to buy by changing the paradigm after the fact. The only reason Iím relatively happy with DVC still is that they grandfather us in to all the changes. But my sense is that they are continually testing the water to figure out what the breaking point is for current DVC owners, so I wonít be surprised if they stop the grandfathering at some point.

So my advice to my friends was to wait and see what unfolds over the next few years. Theyíd be looking for lots of points at VGC, mostly to use at Disneyland and Aulani, with occasional visits to WDW. Just too expensive of a purchase to make unless you feel pretty confident in DVC. They are waiting and seeing.

Member DVC Hilton Head Island & Villas at Grand Californian
Hyatt Residence Club High Sierra Lodge, Tahoe
Hyatt Residence Club Highlands Inn, Carmel CA
Marriott Vacation Club Barony Beach Resort,Hilton Head
Marriott Vacation Club Mountainside, Park City
Vistana Signature Network Broadway Plantation, Myrtle Beach
heathpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:46 PM   #44
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by heathpack View Post

Theyíd be looking for lots of points at VGC, mostly to use at Disneyland and Aulani, with occasional visits to WDW. Just too expensive of a purchase to make unless you feel pretty confident in DVC. They are waiting and seeing.
Having just visited VGC, itís location canít be beat, itís expensive, point chart expensive - I would only use points there. - VGC might be the one resort where I agree buy where you want to stay
Being able to get Starbucks at DTD at 5am sold me! (I like the WL lobby much better - same architect I believe)
Old 07-11-2019, 07:56 PM   #45
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
Having just visited VGC, itís location canít be beat, itís expensive, point chart expensive - I would only use points there. - VGC might be the one resort where I agree buy where you want to stay
Being able to get Starbucks at DTD at 5am sold me! (I like the WL lobby much better - same architect I believe)
Yes, same architect for WL, AKL and GC.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:01 PM   #46
Disney Dad ADL
One Bedroom

To me, nothing has really changed substantially from a DVC perspective.

Do you go to Disney every year or every other year?
Do you want to stay at Deluxe resorts?
Can you plan 8-11 months in advance?
Do you think you will continue to go for 10+ years?

If the answer is yes to all 4 questions, it still makes sense to buy IMO. The numbers will still work out in your favor. DVC has gotten more expensive, but hotel prices have gotten more expensive too.

All the stuff about TOTWL, membership perks, resale restrictions etc is all noise to me personally, though I can understand it is important for some people. If resale restrictions become a problem, the market will adjust and the price of DVC will go down, and then the numbers will balance out.

The main risk of DVC (other than you decide that you don't want to go to Disney anymore) is that Disney loses popularity and becomes an undesirable destination. That's when DVC owners really "lose". However, that's always been a risk and will always be a risk.
Disney Dad ADL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:03 PM   #47
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonRob View Post

I also happily tell them exactly how Disney nickel and dimes us with crap like taking away toiletries, to the ever rising Maintenance Fees, to how they screw over owners like they have done at BLT by taking the TOTWL out of use for owners when its our money that ultimately built and is taking care of the structure that the lunge sits on (therefore its ours). Also, how the pretty consistently have been trying to devalue the points by restricting resales. .
It seems lately that Disney is doing one thing after another to decrease my positive feelings toward DVC. Some of the things, like taking away toiletries, are relatively small, while other things are much larger like the increasing maintenance fees. All of the negatives, added together, are shockingly significant. This reminds me of the book about tipping points. We are apparently close to ours.

While we still enjoy our WDW vacations, we are enjoying them less. All the cost cutting, advanced planning, and upcharge events are reducing our enthusiasm for the parks.

The toiletries, the room inspections, the difficulties with the 7 month window, the point reallocation and and the resale restrictions are decreasing our enjoyment of the resorts.

We have been looking for a particular contract for a while. We found one today, on resale, that was perfect. Two months ago, I would have immediately put in an offer. Today I didnít. I decided to spend the money on remodeling our bathrooms, instead. I think that this says it all.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:15 PM   #48
goofy0618
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default What I tell them

Wait for the next recession
goofy0618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:17 PM   #49
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

134 x $13.68 = $1833.12 for one week in a Studio at Beach Club Resort. Current cash rate for a non-view hotel room at Beach Club is $3800.
Yup. Buy-in is a relatively small part of things when amortized over the remaining years. Our BCV and BWC cost/point is like $2.42 based on the price and time we bought. Very cheap, really. But even current rates save over rental. as you show.

Cheers.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:29 AM   #50
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

in all my years of ownership, not one person has asked me personnally if he/she should buy dvc. on boards, i used to tell these people, buy resale where you want to stay. now, i just say "run" or keep scrolling.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote