home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-11-2018, 07:22 PM   #11
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

We stayed sapphire falls and liked the convinence of the boat to the parks. Pool was ok. Resturant was good. We watched Christmas decorations go up which was nice. Otherwise itís just a hotel. There are more details & pics in my TR from that trip is you are interested.

Quick Links:
Amy's Disney books: Camping Disney and A Year of Disney. Both books were inspired by my Mouseowners Trip Reports. For more on the books plus blog posts, photos and videos, check out my new blog: ThemeParkBooks.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 08:21 PM   #12
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Portifino boats are regular. Thatís one difference from Disney. The hotels have dedicated boats. Much quicker.
The walk from Portifino is a little long, maybe like yacht club to HS? But it is a beautiful walk. A must do once.
Portifino is more spread out, three pools, one with nice activity. We have stayed 3 times. Every time we were near the boat dock, so it was easy.
Last time we stayed we thought it was more tired, but that could be because we had just left the Grand Floridian maybe?
It is a beautiful resort!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 PM   #13
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
Hey,
Sorry to bring up old thread, and need to change title,
but we are going ahead and last minute planning this Thanksgiving trip.

When I booked Friday night, Hard Rock was all they had for the 2 nights we needed, so I got that. we've stayed there before, and love the location, but not necessarily the whole vibe of the hotel, but we still like it fine. We've stayed there before.

Today, Portofino is available.....We love being able to walk to/from hotels,
but also I think it would be fun try Portofino, bigger rooms, etc.
How is the boat transportation? very reliable/constantly running.
For reference, I do not like taking the Friendship boats when we're at BWV...very slow and no guarantee you'll get on one, and again, SLOW .

Google walking maps look like about 1 miles to the Universal entrance from Portofino
how walkable is the route??? you think it's about a mile or more?
We drive, so from your experience, is parking a PITA? We tend to bring up our own luggage, or at least at the end of the stay, bring it to car.

I need to decide today! as we only have until tomorrow to cancel.

Thanks!
Sorry I was traveling today. Hope you decided to go with Portofino. Hard Rock is much closer, at most half the distance, but Portofino is a beautiful walk of roughly a mile, if anything a little less. If it's raining, take the boat! Parking is a minor PITA; the hard part is getting there, but the signage is pretty good. They have a gelateria on site!! A place that sells gelato -- very welcome since BC ditched their gelato.

The boats are great if you choose to use them. They don't seem to spend as much time at stops as the Epcot-DHS boats.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:39 PM   #14
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Sapphire falls TR with tons of pics & opinions.

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=115910

Quick Links:
Amy's Disney books: Camping Disney and A Year of Disney. Both books were inspired by my Mouseowners Trip Reports. For more on the books plus blog posts, photos and videos, check out my new blog: ThemeParkBooks.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM   #15
Redhead58
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
Sapphire falls TR with tons of pics & opinions.

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=115910
I will definitely read your tr. We are going next year and probably staying at Sapphire Falls. We are HP fans and may not do any other sections. I have never stayed at US but have been in the parks. I will have to remember, itís not the Mouse. Ssssh!

Did you do the dining plan there? It sounds like the QS is worth it.
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #16
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

We almost always stay at the Hard Rock because we love the very short stroll to Universal Studios and Citywalk. We did try the Portofino once and it was beautiful but far enough away that we got into the habit of using the rickshaws instead of waiting for the boat or walking. (The rickshaws are free but we tipped $5 per ride).
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM   #17
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicJourneys View Post
We almost always stay at the Hard Rock because we love the very short stroll to Universal Studios and Citywalk. We did try the Portofino once and it was beautiful but far enough away that we got into the habit of using the rickshaws instead of waiting for the boat or walking. (The rickshaws are free but we tipped $5 per ride).
Just came back from our trip to USO. We normally stay at Hard Rock but decided to stay at Royal Pacific. We decided next time we go to stay at Hard Rock. We just liked it a little better, including the food and the ice cream shop.

I did want to comment on the rickshaws. Still free but at least for the one rickshaw that DW, DS, DD used, the tips amounts were recommended to be $10 to $20 per person. Didn't use them again.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote