home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-16-2018, 10:29 PM   #291
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Oh, I agree that the number is unlikely. But the post I was responding to was claiming that, even if true, this was just 1.5 per person per day as if that were actually a reasonable number.

Cheers.
I only said "just" because it sounds a lot worse at first.
I agree -- I've typically used maybe one straw a week, and I'm already cutting back on that. There are probably people out there who use 2 or 3 per day, but they have to work at it!

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 06:11 AM   #292
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I only said "just" because it sounds a lot worse at first.
I agree -- I've typically used maybe one straw a week, and I'm already cutting back on that. There are probably people out there who use 2 or 3 per day, but they have to work at it!

I am on the extremely rare straw use end. I don't drink soda, unless its my only option. I drink water from the faucet. I prefer ice tea or a beer with my dinner (depending on the day of the week).

Drives me crazy that all the kids drink bottled water......especially when I find them half-empty all the time. We have filtered water on the fridge and the faucet is 6' feet away......grab a glass!
Old 08-17-2018, 08:53 AM   #293
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I am on the extremely rare straw use end. I don't drink soda, unless its my only option. I drink water from the faucet. I prefer ice tea or a beer with my dinner (depending on the day of the week).

Drives me crazy that all the kids drink bottled water......especially when I find them half-empty all the time. We have filtered water on the fridge and the faucet is 6' feet away......grab a glass!
I'm with you - if we ever have the chance to meet, I'll buy you a beer if it's your day of the week. (I don't care what day it is ).
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:59 AM   #294
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpnkirk View Post
I'm with you - if we ever have the chance to meet, I'll buy you a beer if it's your day of the week. (I don't care what day it is ).

Thanks.....I should clarify, during the work week I limit my beer consumption. Vacation time....its a free for all!
Old 08-17-2018, 10:28 AM   #295
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Had breakfast at a NJ diner with some colleagues. Soda came with a paper straw. Fairly thick and stiff. Good diameter. Got a little soggy and bendy, but I was nursing the drink for quite some time and it maintained full functionality.

I could cope with that just fine. Wouldn’t work for extended use or in thick, frozen drinks.

Dirk
I get the frozen drink at Pongu Pongu. The straw held up really surprisingly well and I had that drink before lunch, eating it (even after a mix up where I had to wait on food), and chatting with family. Only got a little soggy. I think they'll be fine, or pick up a spare.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:45 PM   #296
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
I get the frozen drink at Pongu Pongu. The straw held up really surprisingly well and I had that drink before lunch, eating it (even after a mix up where I had to wait on food), and chatting with family. Only got a little soggy. I think they'll be fine, or pick up a spare.
As I wrote, I realized a meant thick frozen drinks, like thick milkshakes or smoothies. I think the straw I had would be just fine with a daiquiri or frozen margarita.

At any rate, they've come a long way from the crappy paper straws of my childhood!

Dirk