home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-21-2020, 09:02 AM   #61
LOVINDVC
Grand Villa

We had an awesome AKL Jambo House grand villa stay planned for April for our whole family..It obviously got scrapped. Rescheduled the trip for the week between Christmas and New Year’s. But, after discussing it with all of the kids, we are scrapping that as well and rescheduling for June.

Looking at the bright side, we will have even more points! We are going to grand villa hop for eight days, we hope. Also, since we’ll be driving, the newest member of our family (a German Shepherd pup) will be going with us and will be treated to a grandvilla of his own at the Best Friends Pet Center!

SSR OWNERS SINCE 2004
LOVINDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:24 PM   #62
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
I live in Western NY (but I'm from downstate). It's funny how people hear "New York" and assume it's the city. That used to be me, so I get it
It's a big state, so I would look for local information before you make a decision. NY is opening up by regions, which seems sensible. I am still staying home for now.
I just learned that Queens is NOT a separate city from New York City, that DS actually lives in NYC, just not in Manhattan.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:52 PM   #63
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
I just learned that Queens is NOT a separate city from New York City, that DS actually lives in NYC, just not in Manhattan.
Yep -- 5 "boroughs" constitute NYC. Manhattan & Queens are two of them. Not that I'm any expert on NYC, having spent a total of 2 hours there. (count 'em, 2!) Changed buses at Grand Central Station.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:58 PM   #64
Tessa
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Yes, there are 5 counties/boroughs in NYC. Weird because Queens and Kings (Brooklyn) are geographically on Long Island. Growing up on LI, when we said we were going to the city, we were referring to Manhattan. We didn't consider Queens or Brooklyn part of the city- it was just Queens or Brooklyn.

And we also thought that Westchester was upstate.

To answer the OPs question, we are mid-50s, and I am considering booking for Christmas, but with a Feb UY, that is risky if I have to cancel again. I have points from our canceled June reservation to use.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:19 PM   #65
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
No, youíre right. I lived in Manhattan for 4 years. I would never think of anything else as ďthe City.Ē

Except maybe the park in Brooklyn at the foot of the Brooklyn bridge.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:30 PM   #66
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
No, youíre right. I lived in Manhattan for 4 years. I would never think of anything else as ďthe City.Ē

Except maybe the park in Brooklyn at the foot of the Brooklyn bridge.

Dirk
17+ years for me, and I think of it the same way. For NYC (Manhattan) I even capitalize "The" in my mind. Other places can be "the City," depending upon where I am. For me, there's only 1 "The City."

I never ventured much into Brooklyn then, but do now and have found some very New York things there as well.

Cheers.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #67
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

I am 55 DH is 69 he does not want to go....I would like to but as time is passing I may not either. We have ressies January and will keep those. I also have a renter (do not do it a lot) in February so a wait and see. Would have to make decisions about that depending on the survival of my points. I am willing to do a resort/pool stay easily but need info to decide will not wear a mask at the pool. We are planning some local stays so we can get 'away' seems silly but need to get out of the house! RI entering Phase 2 June 1st.

ME Nicole ,DH , DS : , DD , DD
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #68
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
17+ years for me, and I think of it the same way. For NYC (Manhattan) I even capitalize "The" in my mind. Other places can be "the City," depending upon where I am. For me, there's only 1 "The City."

I never ventured much into Brooklyn then, but do now and have found some very New York things there as well.

Cheers.
I've been to the Brooklyn Museum of Art (very nice) and taken the subway to a stop near the Brooklyn Bridge and walked back. It does look like The City, of course, but it definitely has a different feel. Very nice areas there, too.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #69
djo
Studio

Iím 62, hubby 67. We have a reservation for Thanksgiving week. Decided
this week to continue planning as if we are going and see how this all plays out over the next few months. We need something to look forward too. We canít even seem to get any sunshine in Missouri. Clouds and rain every day.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:46 PM   #70
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by djo View Post
Iím 62, hubby 67. We have a reservation for Thanksgiving week. Decided
this week to continue planning as if we are going and see how this all plays out over the next few months. We need something to look forward too. We canít even seem to get any sunshine in Missouri. Clouds and rain every day.
See ya there for Thanksgiving! We have a 2BR at OKW but we're not sure if the kids and grandson are coming or not. DW and I are planning on going though.
capeokw56 is online now   Reply With Quote