home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #11
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC-Paul View Post
We checked out yesterday after spending 2 nights in one of the Poly Bungalows. I am the type that does not expect all things to be perfect in the World (pun intended), so I don't get too bent out of shape if there are little issues in the villa. With that being said, I think the issues that we saw would drive even the most forgiving guest crazy.

First a few Pros:
  • Location: The view of Wishes from the deck was fantastic. Disney did a great job with the sound system on the deck. The Wishes music was loud, clear and in sync with the fireworks.
  • Interior: The bungalows are beautiful and well laid out. The interior design conveyed the theme without taking it overboard. The decor was very classy.
  • Not bungalow related, but we loved Trader Sam's. The room is much smaller than I expected. The specials effects were fun in a kitschy way.

Now the Cons:
  • The water was off in all of the Bungalows from 8:00am-2:00pm on Tuesday. No one contacted us during the time that the water was off. We called to make them aware of the situation but were never provided any updates, solutions or alternatives for our water needs. After asking, they finally brought us some bottled water so that we could take care of our basic morning water needs.

That's unsat.
  • The DVD player was missing.

No DVD players were installed at PVB. Fail!
  • There was no trash can in the kitchen. There was a recycling bin, but no trash can.

The Trash can is hidden behind a cabinet door between the lower oven and the sink. It pulls out and the can is inside.
  • The door bell volume was turned up so high that it twice scared 2 of us out of our chairs during a business meeting.
    The doorbell volume is controlled by the touch lighting pads on the wall. The surround sound volume is also controlled on this pad. There is a pad at the entry and 1 on the kitchen wall.
  • There were not enough pillows for all of the beds.

• The construction dust was so thick on the walls and doors that you could write your name with your finger.
    Our unit 7010 was clean. What unit were you in?
  • The ferry horn was loud enough to wake a couple of the members of our travel party.

The sound proofing is by no means adequate.
    There is no soundproofing.
  • As mentioned in another thread, there is some type of plumbing flushing system under each bungalow. This flushes intermittently as is not related to the toilet use at that time. It is very loud and can be heard throughout the villa. It woke several of us during the night.
    Epic Fail!
  • The TV remote is a touch screen Harmony model. It is way too complicated for the casual user.

Not to mention several of the functions are locked and require codes to unlock. We had to call Engineering to adjust the volume. At first he told us that was the loudest the living area tv would get, but the 2nd Engineer was able to enter the code and adjust the volume.

I foresee a few of these ending up on the bottom of Seven Seas Lagoon out of frustration.

We made the front desk aware of all of the issues and were told that someone would be coming to address them. No one ever did.

It appears to me that the construction was either rushed or substandard and they should have done better QA checks prior to opening day.
Did your refrigerator/freezer make ice?
Did you get to check in early?

For what they are charging, they need to send a CM to the Bungalow to ensure they are set up properly for the guests.
If these things don't work, hard to find, hard to operate, no one will stay there.
The Bungalows lack service and support and that is huge at that price point.

Last edited by DVCQUEEN; 05-14-2015 at 07:15 PM.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:13 PM   #12
ziravan
One Bedroom

I would have demanded they comp the stay. Shoot, I'd still call the executive offices and demand a comp.

No water, a/c, or electricity is a deal breaker. I know not all happened to you. ANY one of those issues requires fantastic service recovery. It requires at least a comp.

This is especially true considering the number of points involved. For that cost, things should be perfect. At the very least, the lights and water should work.
ziravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:21 PM   #13
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziravan View Post
I would have demanded they comp the stay. Shoot, I'd still call the executive offices and demand a comp.

No water, a/c, or electricity is a deal breaker. I know not all happened to you. ANY one of those issues requires fantastic service recovery. It requires at least a comp.

This is especially true considering the number of points involved. For that cost, things should be perfect. At the very least, the lights and water should work.
I stayed at a Drury Inn in March, and it was under renovation. After we unpacked, we noticed the carpet was damp in the bedroom area. Notified the front desk and they offered us a move, (we were on our way to a concert, so no) so they gave us 50% off the room rate.
Disney offered to bring us trash bags so we could haul our own ice from Moorea. Thankfully Holly stepped in and provided a much appreciated service.
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:59 PM   #14
cde48
Two Bedroom

We loved our stay there, but had many issues as well. The big one was the almost 4 inches of water just sitting in the shower. It was disgusting. I know construction issues happen all the time, and Disney is not immune, but the construction done there was half-a$*ed.

I loved the resort using our SSR points, but I would be pretty upset if I spent $165 per point to own there. In OUR opinion, the value isn't there at $165 pp. (No one bedroom, kitchens, true two bedrooms (other than Bungalows), & relatively high MF to start) If I were to spend that money, I'd recommend wait listing for VGF points, or BLT points.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:13 PM   #15
disney65
Grand Villa

Many of the problems you noticed in bungalows exist in studio as well. Good I did not buy any Poly points. I am happy with my VGF purchase.

I do like the size of studios and Bungalows for their unique offering but PVB as a package is not good enough for purchase.

My Trip Reports

Photobucket has disabled 3rd party hosting, so none of the photos are visible, will move to some other site soon.

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:06 PM   #16
DVC-Paul
Two Bedroom

Thanks for this info! I wish that Disney had provided some of the information while we were there.

There was no trash can in the kitchen. There was a recycling bin, but no trash can.
The trash can is hidden behind a cabinet door between the lower oven and the sink. It pulls out and the can is inside.
In our unit, the trash can was missing from this spot.

The door bell volume was turned up so high that it twice scared 2 of us out of our chairs during a business meeting.
The doorbell volume is controlled by the touch lighting pads on the wall. The surround sound volume is also controlled on this pad. There is a pad at the entry and 1 on the kitchen wall.
We finally associated this control pad with the door bell/SS system. I can see many guests that are less technologically inclined ripping the door bell off the wall at some point during their stay.

The construction dust was so thick on the walls and doors that you could write your name with your finger.
Our unit 7010 was clean. What unit were you in?
If I remember correctly, we were in bungalow 8012.

The TV remote is a touch screen Harmony model. It is way too complicated for the casual user.
Not to mention several of the functions are locked and require codes to unlock. We had to call Engineering to adjust the volume. At first he told us that was the loudest the living area tv would get, but the 2nd Engineer was able to enter the code and adjust the volume.
Our TV only went to a certain level that was too low. We finally figured out how to turn up the volume on day 2. Ours was more of a business visit so we weren't watching the TV a lot so the issue it was nothing more than a small irritation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
Did your refrigerator/freezer make ice?
Did you get to check in early?
To be honest, I am not sure that any of us checked or try to use the ice maker.

We were not able to check-in until after 4:00. We were told that the film crew was late in wrapping up their shoot! We still have not figured out what that meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
For what they are charging, they need to send a CM to the Bungalow to ensure they are set up properly for the guests.
If these things don't work, hard to find, hard to operate, no one will stay there.
The Bungalows lack service and support and that is huge at that price point.

Last edited by DVC-Paul; 05-14-2015 at 10:16 PM.
DVC-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:43 PM   #17
bwvBound
Two Bedroom

Quote:
The door bell volume was turned up so high that it twice scared 2 of us out of our chairs during a business meeting.
We finally associated this control pad with the door bell/SS system. I can see many guests that are less technologically inclined ripping the door bell off the wall at some point during their stay.
But most of us wouldn't expect the doorbell to ring at any time during our stay ... not once let alone twice? In ~15 years of timesharing the doorbell has never been a problem for us ...
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 10:53 PM   #18
DVC-Paul
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
But most of us wouldn't expect the doorbell to ring at any time during our stay ... not once let alone twice? In ~15 years of timesharing the doorbell has never been a problem for us ...
This is one of the reasons it was so startling! By the way, it is not a traditional "ding-dong" door bell. Each press of the button creates a random humorous toll. It might be a barking dog, the police telling you to "open up" or a guy screaming "I'm here!"
DVC-Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:27 PM   #19
bwvBound
Two Bedroom

Quote:
This is one of the reasons it was so startling! By the way, it is not a traditional "ding-dong" door bell. Each press of the button creates a random humorous toll. It might be a barking dog, the police telling you to "open up" or a guy screaming "I'm here!"
WTH?!? The barking dog I could "take" -- but an unexpected male voice, either 'police voice' or screaming would send me hiding under the bed quaking in fear. What were they thinking?!?!?!?

Last edited by bwvBound; 05-15-2015 at 12:35 AM.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:32 PM   #20
minthorne
One Bedroom

I'm getting less and less interested in staying at the Poly DVCs. I really like a lot of the resorts but OKW seems to be the best built and planned.
minthorne is offline   Reply With Quote