home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-11-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
goofy kc
Two Bedroom

Default Non-Trip Report Report

I have tried to create an extensive report with tons of pictures but I just don't have it in me. BUT I always feel I have info to share and experiences that may be helpful to others so here is my non-report:

This was my niece's (20) first trip since she was 8 and she had few memories of that trip, so we tried to get in as much as possible and show her some magic!
  • We got a huge dose of pixie dust our first day! We were upgraded to a 1br in place of our studio. Room 5380, a standard view room looking out over Sunset Savanah. We could see some facilities for feeding and such but the amount of animal activity was terrific. Sadly, this was a split stay and we were only at AKL for the one night. But my niece who is pre-Veterinary Medicine was over the moon!
  • BOG breakfast is a great reservation if you can get it! We were able to snag an 8am reservation. We arrived at 7:45 and the line was already snaking around the area in front of the eastern gift shop. I thought the wait to get in would hurt us but I worried for nothing (as I often do). We had a lovely stroll through an empty park, took a few pictures, made some memories and were in line at BOG by 8:12am. The breakfast is a little pricey at $20 but the quality was good. My two travel mates both ordered the Donut French Toast so the pastry tray went untouched. I used an extra ziplock bag and we had the pastries as snacks later. The ordering process was a bit cumbersome and they were having issues with the roses, but we made it to our table, finished breakfast and were out the door by 8:45. This head start let us ride MT, PP and HM in less than 45 minutes. Totally worth the extra effort and money.

• Speaking of effort – follow the signage in the MK parking lot. It was 7:30 and I wasn’t paying attention and I missed a turn, did a u-turn into the lot and got pulled over. Sirens, lights, the whole enchilada. He let me go but still checked my license. I thought it would ruin the day but as soon as we were on Main Street all was well. And now I have a Disney rap sheet!

Bring your DVC membership card. Getting a replacement was way too complicated. Everyplace we went we heard “oh, you just missed them!” meaning the DVC rep had left for the day. Not sure why they leave at 4:30 when check in is at 4?? And they do take a lunch - a DVC person at BWV closed the window blinds on us when we tried to get his attention. We were all shocked and I made my first complaint at WDW.
  • Had a chance to visit the DVC preview room at BWV and was very impressed with the quality of the BWV remodel. Still not sold on the mini murphy bed but can understand the need. Downside is that to use the pop-up table you have to sit right in front of the TV. Upside, there is still a nice sized dresser. All in all I would rather have a sleeping chair in the 1br.

• A goal for the visit was to find a couple of items connected to the Tomorrowland movie. Sadly, there was nothing. Even the pin was a tough find – asked at several stores before a kind cast member looked up the inventory and directed us to the right spot. Only the pin though, no t-shirts or anything. The pin is a limited edition so it may no longer be available.

• Need a good rain poncho? IKEA sells really good quick-drying ones for about $6. Only one of us had an IKEA model and we were envious. The other 2 ponchos were wet the next morning but the IKEA one was dry before we got back to the room. And it folds into its own pouch.
  • Finally, we did a triple split stay this trip because it was sort of last minute. AKL one night, BCV for 3 and one night in Vero Beach. Vero was a total joy! Beautiful views, lovely staff and a relaxing beach. Next year we plan to stay longer!

So, that's what I learned this trip!

Last edited by goofy kc; 06-11-2015 at 01:51 PM.
goofy kc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #2
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Nice! That's a great TR. Thanks for sharing.

BTW - where did you find the tomorrowland pin?

Quick Links:
Amy's Disney books: Camping Disney and A Year of Disney. Both books were inspired by my Mouseowners Trip Reports. For more on the books plus blog posts, photos and videos, check out my new blog: ThemeParkBooks.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #3
goofy kc
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post

BTW - where did you find the tomorrowland pin?
I was able to get one from a cast member in Test Track. If you were willing to give info about what kind of GM car you would be interested in you got a FREE pin!

The only store that had them in stock was Mickey's Star Traders in Tomorrowland.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:03 PM   #4
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

See, and I totally disagree on the BOG breakfast. Paying for 4 adults, I felt that the food we got was just not worth what we paid. I didn't feel that being able to eat in one of the dining rooms was worth the premium cost of the meal.

I totally enjoy our dinners there, but we will not be doing breakfast there again while it is in this format-especially with placing your own order, getting your own drinks, finding your own table. I would rather go to the Polynesian and have breakfast at O'Hana or Trails End Buffeteria. Just wasn't my cup of tea. This was probably the only meal that we were sorry we booked.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #5
dvcnewbie1212
Grand Villa

Thanks for the non-TR TR. I loved your feedback as we will be trying out BOG for BKFT in a couple of weeks. Of course this also means I will be on a hunt for the Tomorrowland pin as DD is obsessed with the movie now.
2012 AKV 1st DVC visit
2013 SSR waterpark trip
2013 AKV Girls Only
2014 DCL,VB,OKW
2015 PVB & AKV
dvcnewbie1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 04:50 PM   #6
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Great summary, thanks for taking the time to share.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:43 PM   #7
goofy kc
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
See, and I totally disagree on the BOG breakfast. Paying for 4 adults, I felt that the food we got was just not worth what we paid. I didn't feel that being able to eat in one of the dining rooms was worth the premium cost of the meal.

I totally enjoy our dinners there, but we will not be doing breakfast there again while it is in this format-especially with placing your own order, getting your own drinks, finding your own table. I would rather go to the Polynesian and have breakfast at O'Hana or Trails End Buffeteria. Just wasn't my cup of tea. This was probably the only meal that we were sorry we booked.
I agree there are other good breakfasts on site but I really liked the bacon & egg sandwich and it kept me going for most of the day. If we didn't have a 20 y.o. metabolism along we probably would have skipped lunch and had a small snack - still we split a sandwich for a late lunch. I think the real benefit is the head start. Walking on to MT and PP was pretty awesome! If we were alone we would have skipped it and knocked out a bunch of other rides in the same time.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:44 PM   #8
goofy kc
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcnewbie1212 View Post
Thanks for the non-TR TR. I loved your feedback as we will be trying out BOG for BKFT in a couple of weeks. Of course this also means I will be on a hunt for the Tomorrowland pin as DD is obsessed with the movie now.
Me too! I wish I could have found a tshirt!
Old 06-11-2015, 10:22 PM   #9
DVCjj
Two Bedroom

Thank you for the great trip report.

Thanks also for the IKEA Poncho tip. I not only have an IKEA nearby but I'm one of the dorks that wear a poncho on Kali River Rapids. My friend made fun of me the entire time in line but she came out a looking like a drenched rat and I was dry as a bone.
DVCjj is online now   Reply With Quote