home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-20-2015, 02:58 PM   #1
JerseyAmy
Grand Villa

Default Mini TR - AKV value studio vs. BLT studio

I'm way late on this, so this is a mini TR!

First of all - it was cool to meet up with MinnieMomofOne and her family (what an adorable little girl you have!) and Mr & Mrs BRP again. The next day was a bit slow/tired after Trader Sam's, but it was worth it!

We arrived on May 10th after driving from Ft Lauderdale. We flew in on the 9th for my aunt's wedding the morning of the 10th. They went on a cruise right after, so we got on the road around 1:00 pm. We arrived for the first part of our stay at AKL-Jambo around 4:30.

We had scored a value studio for 4 nights when we did the original booking. I added an OKW studio for the last two nights because that's what was available. This changed the week before the trip. I was able to get a BLT-LV studio for 3 nights, so I let go of one night at AKL.

We got lucky with a nice pool view at AKL. The room didn't seem tiny or cramped at all. It's just the two of us, so maybe that's why it didn't bother us. There was an issue with my husband's MB upon check in. I had called and had them change the spelling of his name like 2 days before check in. So they ended up having to reinstate everything. Took about 20 mins and we got an extra FP for 7DMT out of it.

We headed over to the MK and did some rides. We found out MinnieMomofOne was going to TOTWL and the BRPs were going too, so we headed over there for drinks and fireworks. Upon entering BLT, Yuri commented that it felt like a hospital. We enjoyed the company and drinks. The fireworks were cool, but we like seeing them from Main Street better.

From there, we went to Trader Sam's at the Poly with Mr and Mrs BRP. It was a blast! The inside was cool - and every time a drink was ordered there was a little show! I got the Nautilus, which explains my tiredness the next day!
Old 06-20-2015, 03:10 PM   #2
JerseyAmy
Grand Villa

Default Day 2

So, I surprised my husband with the Star Wars Dine-In Galactic Breakfast for our second day. I had an invitation made (star wars style) that he thought Disney put in the room! He was using the bathroom and I put one on the pillow and one on the dresser - he actually showed them to me. (I'll post pics after uploading)

We were scheduled for 10:45 am and had a looooong night. Yuri is an extremely punctual person and gets nervous if we are going to be late (me - not so much). We returned the rental car at the Swalphin and were on the dock at about 10:15. It took forever to get a boat, so we ended up at the Sci-Fi at 10:50. We still had to wait about 15 mins to be seated, so it was ok. The food was surprisingly good! We had a blast meeting the characters and taking pictures (although the picture with Vader and Boba Fett at the beginning was very rushed). They had booze at breakfast but we had a server who was a bit surly. lol She didn't offer. It was an expensive breakfast so I didn't really care, though we both could have used a little hair o' the dog.

I had FPs for TSMM, so we got some booze at high octane first and kind of chilled out. It was brutally hot the whole week (low to mid 90's). Walking around exhausted us, so we took a boat ride over to the Boardwalk to check out the shops. We ended up with another piece from the Wyland Gallery (we really need to walk by without walking in....).

We headed to ESPN to have a drink and say hi to one of the chefs we know there. Then we headed to Epcot. We were truly exhausted and supposed to meet up with the BRPs again for fireworks. Yuri was so grumpy/tired that we ended up leaving at like 8. You know it's bad when we don't stay for illuminations.....
Old 06-20-2015, 03:16 PM   #3
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Seeing this just made my day.

We had a great time meeting you, Mr.JerseyAmy and Mr/Mrs BRP.

Next time, we'll schedule some Lilo's Playhouse time for DD and try to keep up at Trader Sams.

I can't wait to read more and maybe even see some photos!

Quick Links:
Amy's Disney books: Camping Disney and A Year of Disney. Both books were inspired by my Mouseowners Trip Reports. For more on the books plus blog posts, photos and videos, check out my new blog: ThemeParkBooks.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 03:29 PM   #4
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post

Next time, we'll schedule some Lilo's Playhouse time for DD and try to keep up at Trader Sams.
It was definitely fun at TOtWL with all y'all.

As for Trader Sam's, I'm not sure that trying to keep up is a good idea. We kept up and it made the next morning a bit more interesting...

On the positive side, the souvenir mug for the Shrunken Zombie is now my coffee cup at work. Attracts some attention...

Cheers.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:38 PM   #5
JerseyAmy
Grand Villa

Default Days 3 and 4

We had a reservation for Boma and FPs for AK this day, so we headed to AK around 10:00 am after sleeping in. I actually rode EE - which was a mistake. Makes me sick every time. Takes me 3 years between rides to remember this.... We also did Kali River rapids and got drenched! OOPS! We did the safari and also the Lion King Show - love it! Our favorite drinks are at the bar outside Tusker House - Lost on Safari!

After we did all the rides we were scheduled for, we headed back to the resort to relax. We changed into our swimsuits and got some late afternoon sun at the pool. We were kind of off to the left behind the pool bar (and of course we got drinks).

We were so relaxed and enjoying Jambo House so much that I ended up switching us back to Jambo for one more night so we wouldn't move to BLT until Thursday. We got lucky that no one grabbed the value studio, but now I have 9 points in holding.... I was able to do this while sitting by the pool via my iPad and phone.

We stayed for about an hour and half before heading in to get ready for dinner. Yuri didn't feel well during dinner and left. He swears he got food poisoning, but we ate the same food and I was fine....

It ended up being an early night. We had dinner with my dad at the Boathouse coming up the next day, so we decided to just hang out at Jambo for our final day there (Wednesday) to check out the resort and use the pool again. We stayed at the pool for a couple of hours (it was so hot that my iPad shut itself off) and had a couple of drinks. Our MBs didn't work because we were originally supposed to check out and back in, so I went to the front desk and took care of it. (note - I handle EVERYTHING regarding travel reservations so Yuri was annoyed even though we had CCs with us to pay).

We toured the resort (inside and out) after getting completely worn out from the sun. Exhausting. We headed to the room after that. I got ready and was running between the room and the laundry room with my towel wrapped around my head. I'm sure other guests were mortified when they saw me.

We headed downtown to meet my dad at the Boathouse. It took FOREVER to get there via bus. I think they have re-routed the buses because of the construction. IIRC, it was 30 minutes from the time we got on the bus until we parked downtown.

We got to he boathouse and it was cool inside, but the acoustics are pretty bad in there. It's very very loud, and the restaurant was only about half full. The food was reasonably priced, but their specialty drinks are waaaayyyy overpriced. My husband and I both got steaks and my dad got stuffed lobster. I'm not sure we will be back anytime soon. It wasn't any better than Flying Fish IMO, and the service was off. It's new, so we might do it again someday, but we aren't rushing back.

We walked around DTD and just as I was telling my dad about the "dancing guy" we always see there, we saw him. We walked dad to his car (driving back to Clearwater) and then shopped a little bit. We went back to Jambo after that to pack up for our transfer in the morning.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:40 PM   #6
JerseyAmy
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post

I can't wait to read more and maybe even see some photos!
We'd enjoy another meet up. Pack your stunt liver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
It was definitely fun at TOtWL with all y'all.

As for Trader Sam's, I'm not sure that trying to keep up is a good idea. We kept up and it made the next morning a bit more interesting...

On the positive side, the souvenir mug for the Shrunken Zombie is now my coffee cup at work. Attracts some attention...

Cheers.
That's awesome!!!! My son steals our souvenir mugs!

Sorry you guys didn't run the next morning!
Old 06-20-2015, 03:45 PM   #7
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyAmy View Post

Sorry you guys didn't run the next morning!
No you're not

We actually set the alarm for 5, woke up, and promptly went right back to sleep. Well worth it, though.

Cheers.
Old 06-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
JerseyAmy
Grand Villa

Default Day 5

I neglected to mention that on Wednesday, before heading to the pool, I booked our December trip at BWV. Scored a 1 bdrm standard view for the week! (my son is coming with us, so we need the space and a door between us!)

So we woke up and were generally sad about leaving Jambo House. It really is a cool resort, and we liked that you can get food at The Mara until 2 am!

We had bell services take our luggage and OL for transfer. We got an MK bus so we could get to BLT for check-in. They were super nice at check in - we got a choice of rooms (we chose "outside the C" and on the same floor as the bridge). Our room was ready so we immediately checked it out! the layout was different, but we liked it. It didn't feel exceptionally small - maybe that's because we were coming from the value studio at Jambo?

In any case, we headed to Epcot via the monorail. We always find entering through the front of the park kind of weird since we like to stay at BWV. The convenience of being right around the corner from the bridge was nice - it's such a quick walk right over to the Contemporary.

We walked around Epcot and checked out some of the F&G stuff. When we walked into Mexico, we decided to see if we could get a table at San Angel Inn. We were able to and were seated within 10 minutes. We were pleasantly surprised by the food! It was good, traditional Mexican food (not TexMex). We sampled each other's and each of us liked both dishes. Unfortunately, we both got reflux from the margaritas (we didn't finish them because of it).

After leaving, we walked through World Showcase and I got a Grand Marnier ice pop. It was good and refreshing! We went back to the Boardwalk and Wyland because Yuri saw a watch he was interested in . After that, we headed back to BLT via an MK bus from the Boardwalk. We had to get ready to meet up with Disney friends (former CM and current chef).

We went to Trader Sam's at the Poly again - this time sitting outside. Huge difference. Inside is MUCH MORE FUN, and outside the drinks were very weak. This is the night we got bitten up by mosquitos and the former CM was super loud, so we got "spoken to" by a manager. Our chef friend was a little worried because he is a current Disney employee. The complaint was weird - the former CM works for Universal and was complaining about some people at work. The specific complaint was her talking about work. (note - no one was drunk or even tipsy. It was a really weird situation. I honestly think the manager didn't like the former CM. There was a weird vibe there.) If we go back to Trader Joe's it will be inside for both drinks and fun atmosphere, as well as the mosquito situation!

It kind of killed the mood, so we headed to DTD for some late night food and drinks. The only place open was Raglan Road. Prices there seemed cheap - we got some food and a couple of drinks.

We ended up shutting down DTD. We walked the CM to her car and headed for the buses. We got there at 1:55 am. I've never seen this before, but at that time all the buses line up. They wait until about 2:05 am and ALL the buses leave at the same time! If you don't get there in time, they apparently direct you to the taxis.

We were exhausted and grateful to get back to our room that night....
Old 06-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #9
JerseyAmy
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
No you're not

We actually set the alarm for 5, woke up, and promptly went right back to sleep. Well worth it, though.

Cheers.
Haha! You are so right!!!!
Old 06-20-2015, 04:13 PM   #10
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

I have to agree - Boathouse is loud.

The desert was good though.

Quick Links:
Amy's Disney books: Camping Disney and A Year of Disney. Both books were inspired by my Mouseowners Trip Reports. For more on the books plus blog posts, photos and videos, check out my new blog: ThemeParkBooks.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote