home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #51
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueviper View Post
Concur. I used the sample agreement on this site as a starting point and modified it to clearly spell out the payment process, and my willingness to modify reservations if member can't make his reserved time. The key was to spell out non-refundable, and that he had to use the points before they expire. But you're right, ensure they sign something. I use HelloSign, their basic function is a free service, so it lets me send docs to emails for electronic signatures. Another protection for both parties

-Dom
I use an electronic signature service too (DocuSign) for the Agreement. Super easy and quick. Before DocuSign I sent snail mail w/prepaid envelope for the return of the documents. That worked well for me too.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:41 PM   #52
ardcp
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
I do not. I don't accept checks. There's too much delay with checks (you're holding a reservation until it clears, which can take a couple weeks from mailing to you cashing it and waiting).

With Square Credit Card payments, I mandate 50% payment within 5 days of confirmed booking, and 50% at 6 months prior to check-in. No excuse of delayed envelope in mail. Either they go online and pay the invoice, or they don't. Faster timeline and more secure IMO.

They get CC protection and ease (plus points!)

I get money in my account within 1-2 days of their payment, and better protection since I'm not dealing with fradualent or bounced checks.

That's well worth 3% in fees!
so maybe an obvious question but when doing a transfer, the thing i worry about(now after reading it can happen with paypal) is a chargeback.
Once i transfer my points, i can never get them back so how can an owner ensure they don't get a chargeback after transfer?
ardcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:54 PM   #53
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardcp View Post
so maybe an obvious question but when doing a transfer, the thing i worry about(now after reading it can happen with paypal) is a chargeback.
Once i transfer my points, i can never get them back so how can an owner ensure they don't get a chargeback after transfer?
Donít accept PayPal or credit card payment. Bank email transfers much easier now.

Anyway is against PayPal policy to use them for these transactions, so if you use they can freeze your account/money, they did to me.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #54
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardcp View Post
Obviously the easy answer is don't take a credit card payment and you won't be possible to be hit with a charge back. If you decide to take a credit card, be sure to have a signed Agreement with all the terms spelled out. A good Agreement will protect you from a full charge back, but you still will be hit with some fees if a person files for a charge back -- even if you "win" the dispute.

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Sunday, 07/01/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI
Saturday, 10/27/18 - Saturday, 11/10/18 - SSR
(Running 10K w/BFF - 11/03/18)

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:38 AM   #55
blueviper

Default Maybe will add option for Zelle with a discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Donít accept PayPal or credit card payment. Bank email transfers much easier now.

Anyway is against PayPal policy to use them for these transactions, so if you use they can freeze your account/money, they did to me.
Now that Zelle is becoming a more convenient option on bank apps, that might make bank payments as easy as Square (CC) payments.

My view is it's all about making it easier for everyone. Zelle might be a good option.
blueviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 07:28 AM   #56
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Now that Zelle is becoming a more convenient option on bank apps, that might make bank payments as easy as Square (CC) payments.

My view is it's all about making it easier for everyone. Zelle might be a good option.
Zelle has worked out for me very well. Complete traceable transaction with no fee.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
Old 05-01-2018, 09:22 AM   #57
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

I had a client who is renting my Atlantis contract and wanted to use Zelle. Unfortunately, my credit union does not....which is OK by me, I preferred getting a check.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:31 AM   #58
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
I had a client who is renting my Atlantis contract and wanted to use Zelle. Unfortunately, my credit union does not....which is OK by me, I preferred getting a check.
Tom, you can use other bank if you have account in more then one bank.

Credit union may have other servicing company, like pop money etc. I have got transfers thru different companies into my accounts.

Good old check, always works.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
Old 05-01-2018, 09:42 AM   #59
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Tom, you can use other bank if you have account in more then one bank.

Credit union may have other servicing company, like pop money etc. I have got transfers thru different companies into my accounts.
We have accounts at two credit unions and two local banks. Our primary is the credit union, but none of them was utilizing Zelle last fall. I really did not want to further complicate the transaction, plus the actual rental was for this June, at the time is was a full 9 months out from check-in. I was ok waiting for a check and having it clear.
Old 05-01-2018, 12:09 PM   #60
all4disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseOfCards View Post
Thanks. Even though the confirmation email shows the points had been delivered to the buyer, do the Paypal folks understand that the owner still retains total control of, and can cancel, the reservation at any time? I can imagine this point would be an issue with them, as well as could be used by a buyer scammer to try to get their funds back.

I still feel that if they truly approve of these timeshare rentals, they need to remove the language prohibiting timeshare transactions in their policy.
This is my key takeaway from the thread. I think those of us who do these transactions over PayPal (and I'm one of them) need to keep in mind that it is still outside the bounds of their terms and therefore carries risk. Should any of us have a problem as a buyer OR seller, the outcome will depend on how much an investigator digs into the issue. That said, it's good to know that a contract and invoice can help sellers to continue to do business renting points.
all4disney is offline   Reply With Quote