home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseKayC View Post
I have a December UY as well and I agree, there's nothing "bad" about it, sometimes it just takes a minute to orient where you're at in regards to which points are available when

Our most common times to travel are January/February/April, so a December UY works out well for us most of the time.
I think that is the most confusing part. I have multiple UY and when my other UYs are winding down point wise, December is just starting. Other than than, it is no different. But, if it bothers you, ask for another UY before your 10 day window is up.
lovindisney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #12
Jasonv1
Grand Villa

As many have said it usually only matters if you plan late summer/fall trips and ever need to cancel past your banking window (and can't use those points that same UY).

But..... it is possible you will always be borrowing, so you will almost always have "unbankable" borrowed points when you cancel anyway. Perhaps you will be disciplined and never spend beyond your UY, but in my experience this seems less common than borrowing here and there. My BRV contracts (my first 2 purchases) have lived in perpetual borrow mode since I bought them, with only 82 of 210 2018 points remaining and no fall 2018 trips planned as of yet.

I'm in ROFR for a Dec UY contract and while it wasn't my first choice I can make it work (the price was right). Worse case scenario is I have to rent out points for a year because I cancelled and cannot use them, but it is more likely I find another way to use those points before they expire. I have only ever cancelled 1 trip since first buying in back in 2013, so in my case that is 1 in 8 trips interrupted. I can live with a 14% chance of having to "deal" with a December UY due to fall cancellations.

My DVC homes: BRV, BWV, VGC, AUL
Other DVC resorts I've visited: VB, VGF, SSR, PVB, BLT, AKV
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:36 AM   #13
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali09 View Post
Completely OT, but when I read this I thought "party at Carolyn's!"

Where I'm Going 2017/2018:

Tuesday, 12/26/17 - Saturday, 12/30/17 - BLT
Saturday, 12/30/17 - Sunday, 01/07/18 - VGF (Running 1st 1/2 Marathon - 01/06/18)
Wednesday, 06/27/18 - Wednesday, 07/11/18 - HHI

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:48 AM   #14
ustasmom
One Bedroom

When did you start this? I was told today that I had to start the process for a December UY by October 1st.
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #15
richviii
One Bedroom

I agree with others as a Dec UY myself, not bad, you just have to think different. Our travel patterns are already starting to change as DD gets older, so nothing is perfect.

2018 Apr - BCV

2018 Sept - BLT

2018 Nov - Swan & Dolphin, BLT

Recent
2017 Apr- BWV/BLT, Aug - VGC and Aulani, Dec - BWV & BLT

2016 Dec- BLT, Dec - Disneyland, Aug - Disney CX Summit - GF, Apr - BWV/BTL, 2015 - Nov - BWV/S&D, June - Off-Site, Apr - Contemporary/Off-Site, Feb - S&D, Jan 15 - Off-Site, 2014 - Nov - BLT, Aug - Off-Site, May - Off-Site, Mar - Off-Site, 2013 - Nov - Off-Site, Jun - Off-Site, 2012 Nov - Off-Site
richviii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 AM   #16
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ustasmom View Post
When did you start this? I was told today that I had to start the process for a December UY by October 1st.
You are referring to direct? You can buy any UY at any time direct although guides will have certain UY's that DVC switches to that they push on new buyers. But if you insist they should do any for you. If your guide did not I'd then ask for a new guide.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:50 PM   #17
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Congrats on your membership to DVC!!!

Overall, I think the emphasis on UY is irrelevant over the length of ownership for 99.99% of all DVC members.

Buying the Dec UY at CCV to get that extra year of points is great! I did something similar when I bought GFV with April UY.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:54 PM   #18
ustasmom
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
You are referring to direct? You can buy any UY at any time direct although guides will have certain UY's that DVC switches to that they push on new buyers. But if you insist they should do any for you. If your guide did not I'd then ask for a new guide.

This is my problem. I had been reaching out since September. The contact us button on the site is not the best way apparently. I am saying that I want that Dec UY and I am being told that I either have to already have a Dec UY for the offer or gone for it before 10/1.
ustasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 01:04 PM   #19
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
This is my problem. I had been reaching out since September. The contact us button on the site is not the best way apparently. I am saying that I want that Dec UY and I am being told that I either have to already have a Dec UY for the offer or gone for it before 10/1.
Call the number for DVC member services. Tell the MS person who answers that you need a new guide and would they please connect you with a sales supervisor.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:04 AM   #20
littlelulu01
One Bedroom

Quote:
I think you're talking to the wrong guide. But here's the situation for me. I have two uy -June and October. Thinking of selling off the October uy. For a December CCV contract it's a new master contract and so the minimum to own goes up from 50-75. Perhaps you are trying to add less than 75? If so you need to stick with current uy. I ended up going with a higher contract. Figured heck if I have to purchase at least 75, may as well go higher and get a discount.

My main reason for purchase of December was to fill in three days on an upcoming Aulani trip. Ccv stays will otherwise be used for hard to get December and early January visits so I thought December uy was great. I'm now having serious doubts about the free 2016 points as justification to take the December uy. I'm still with the 10 day window. Haven't even received papers in mail yet.
After giving it some thought, I think I'm going to cancel. I talked to guide and he was very understanding. I'm going to wait. Not sure how I'm filling in last 3 nights and I may even end up with a cash reservation or points rental. I have problems with two uy already. Going to 3 will be too much work for me and after reading how December uy works, I think I'd have a difficult time with it. My plan is sell the October and then add on at CCV in May for my June uy and purchase only the 60 that I originally intended to. I think I got caught up in the moment but in reality, even with the discount and free 2016 points, it's not a sound decision for me long term. All those points sitting in my account sure look tempting but I'm not touching them.

Anyways, good luck and if December is what you really want then I'd call and get a different guide. Everyone has an assigned guide. Perhaps ask for yours? I've had the same one for a few years now and have added on with him in the past. I'm on the west coast so is my guide which makes doing business much easier time zone wise.
littlelulu01 is offline   Reply With Quote