home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-12-2017, 06:22 AM   #1
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

Default DVC rooms to cash rooms

I read somewhere - do not remember where....that disney at some point, converts DVC rooms to cash if they are not booked by a certain point. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this and if so, at what point or within what window does that happen?
Old 10-12-2017, 07:20 AM   #2
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Yes, It is absolutely true. Its referred to as "breakage" and you can read about it in the official documents. I can't remember if it is in the Condominium Declaration or in "the Club" documents, but it's all part of the legally defined aspects of DVC.

If I remember correctly the breakage window starts at 60 days. They don't have to list the unreserved rooms for cash at that time, but they can if they want to.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

They also convert points rooms to cash rooms when members use points for DCL and certain other non-DVC options. I don't think any of us know when or bow they choose the particular rooms and dates to convert. They don't wait until 60 days prior to do those conversions.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
Yes, It is absolutely true. Its referred to as "breakage" and you can read about it in the official documents. I can't remember if it is in the Condominium Declaration or in "the Club" documents, but it's all part of the legally defined aspects of DVC.

If I remember correctly the breakage window starts at 60 days. They don't have to list the unreserved rooms for cash at that time, but they can if they want to.
Also, the income from breakage comes back to members and is used to reduce dues. If that income exceeds a cap, it goes to Disney. IIRC, the cap is 2.5% of the operating budget.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:42 AM   #5
ealvarado8899
Two Bedroom

They have a FAQ on renting DVC with cash. Appears you can rent up to a year out.
https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go...rvations/cash/

Q. What is a cash reservation at a Disney Vacation Club Resort and when can I book one?

When a Member makes an exchange, their Disney Vacation Club property is rented for cash to pay for that exchange. The price for their vacation accommodations is offset by that cash rental. The result is cash availability, which a Member can take advantage of by getting a reduced rate at another Disney Vacation Club Resort.
The booking window for Members to make cash reservations is open 11 months in advance of Check-In date, with the exception of The Villas at Disney's Grand Californian Hotel & Spa (only 60 days out).

Important Information

Discounted cash reservations are based upon availability.
Member rental discounts may only be booked by a Purchaser or Associate. (Principal Contacts that are non-Members may not book any type of reservation.)
Members do not need to occupy the unit.
Reservations with the Member Discount can be made for friends and/or relatives.
When booking a future calendar year, the rate quoted is not always guaranteed. Please call Member Services at (800) 800-9800† to book a cash reservation.
2009 - Off site - Christmas
2012 - Polynesian - October
2015 - Art of Animation - Christmas week
2016 - Purchase DVC!
2016 - SSR - Thanksgiving Week
2017 - SSR - June
2017 - BWV - June
2018 - SSR - March - Spring Break

----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote