home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > "Mick"-boxing (a.k.a. The Exercise Forum)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-21-2017, 04:38 PM   #1
Jotunheim
Studio

Default 2018 WDW Marathon Weekend Medal Reveal

The Disney Parks blog has an entry on the finisher medals being issued for the 25th anniversary of the WDW Marathon. I think they look fantastic (especially the marathon medal), and are among the best I have seen at any race!

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...athon-weekend/
Old 09-21-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Am I correct that the 5K medal is actual metal this year? When DH did the Dopey in 2016, the 5K medal was plastic/rubber material. And I love the looks of the Dopey medal. I don't remember for sure what DH's Dopey medal looked like, but it wasn't that cool. I remember some tourist, who wasn't familiar with the races, stopped DH in the MK and asked him where to get one of "those Dopey things like you've got-my son loves Dopey and I'd like to get one for him." He'd freak out at the one for 2018.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 11:31 PM   #3
Jotunheim
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Mom View Post
Am I correct that the 5K medal is actual metal this year? When DH did the Dopey in 2016, the 5K medal was plastic/rubber material.
Yes, Disney switched the 5K medal to actual metal in 2017 for the first time. Good change!

I think the Dopey medal was relatively unchanged for the previous years with just a gold, polished finish character with a green ring around it that said "Dopey Challenge" and the total mileage. The jewels for eyes would be the most noticeable change for 2018 / 5th Anniversary that I can tell.

I agree - all of the medals are really nice for the upcoming race(s), but especially the HM, marathon and Dopey. I would give the nod to the marathon for my favorite though!

Last edited by Jotunheim; 09-21-2017 at 11:50 PM.
Jotunheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
Jasonv1
Two Bedroom

Yep, that marathon medal is awesome. The one from 2017 was classy, a bit understated, but this one pops. I may have to wear both of those around the parks Sunday night, last year I only wore Dopey (but had them all for photo ops).

Still love my Coast to Coast medal the most though; got a shot of me with it in DL in front of the statue of Walt and Mickey at the DL half a few weeks ago. Even the CM's were asking what that medal was.

I'm supposed to be in Paris right now earning my Castle to Chateau but had to cancel... sigh. Already told the wife we are going next year, not that I expected much of an argument.

I blame RunDisney for my SSR and VGC contracts. Bought a smaller SSR contract for RunDisney stays, and VGC because that is what happens when you go out west for races and end up having an amazing weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotunhiem View Post
Yes, Disney switched the 5K medal to actual metal in 2017 for the first time. Good change!

I think the Dopey medal was relatively unchanged for the previous years with just a gold, polished finish character with a green ring around it that said "Dopey Challenge" and the total mileage. The jewels for eyes would be the most noticeable change for 2018 / 5th Anniversary that I can tell.

I agree - all of the medals are really nice for the upcoming race(s), but especially the HM, marathon and Dopey. I would give the nod to the marathon for my favorite though!

DVC properties I've tried: VWL-BRV (owner), AUL (owner), SSR (owner), VB, VGF, BWV, PVB, BLT, AKV
Waiting to close on: BWV, VGC
Jasonv1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:52 PM   #5
Jotunheim
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasonv1 View Post
Yep, that marathon medal is awesome. The one from 2017 was classy, a bit understated, but this one pops. I may have to wear both of those around the parks Sunday night, last year I only wore Dopey (but had them all for photo ops).
Funny you mention that - I actually thought the 10K medal was the best looking of the bunch in 2017, and was rather disappointed with the marathon medal last year. It was monochromatic and seemed most similar to the 5k, which I thought was a little messed up.

Quote:
Still love my Coast to Coast medal the most though; got a shot of me with it in DL in front of the statue of Walt and Mickey at the DL half a few weeks ago. Even the CM's were asking what that medal was.
I liked the C2C for the fact that it was more rare, but I was more proud of the Dopey. It was really hard getting up that early 4 days in a row!

Quote:
I'm supposed to be in Paris right now earning my Castle to Chateau but had to cancel... sigh. Already told the wife we are going next year, not that I expected much of an argument.
Now THAT is a neat looking medal - very ornate and classy. I would also imagine very rare due to the cost to achieve.