home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-02-2018, 09:20 AM   #1
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Default Opinions on Universal's Portofino, Cabana Bay, etc

Tentatively starting to plan a Universal trip later this year. If we do go at Thanksgiving, we'll have more time than if we just do Fall Break, so we're considering a value on-site for a couple of those nights. We already plan on doing at least 2 nights at Royal Pacific, (or Portofino) for 3 days of head of the line access, but if we have a couple more nights, I'd like to try one of the values. I"ve read and heard how great the pools are, so anyone have any opinions on Cabana Bay/ Sapphire Falls/ Adventura for their resort/pool offerings??
We've stayed at Royal Pacific 3 times and love it. Hard Rock twice and enjoyed it too, but never Portofino. Choosing from those 3 will depend on price.

updated to say we will be at Hard Rock this trip. Hope to try some other resorts in the future tho. Appreciate the feedback!!!

Last edited by Jedimom3; Today at 04:57 PM.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #2
BobParr
One Bedroom

I'm interested in the feedback on this as well. Planning a 2019 trip and would love to stay on-property. Cabana Bay is my early favorite. The two new hotels they are building may be in the mix as wee, though one of them appears to be an extreme value hotel.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:42 AM   #3
bobbafett
Grand Villa

I don't but there are many YouTube videos to look at
Really any pool there is nice. Don't know what kind of amenities your asking about. They all have about the same.
AKL 14, AKL 16, AKL/VWL 16, SS 17, AKL 18, 18. VGF 18, VAK 18.

bobbafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #4
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Just chiming in to add that we truly loved the family suite at Cabana Bay. (I wish the DVC studios were set up like this....they are very well laid out! My super picky "DVC Snob" husband loved it there!) Over all we loved the atmosphere / decor, cleanliness, unique decor, great pools, bowling on site, dining on site, bars on site and bowling was somewhat expensive but fun. I was impressed with how quick and easy their transportation was. I buy points there if I could..... LOLOLOL!!

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:02 PM   #5
aznosredna
Two Bedroom

Stayed in Cabana Bay last October. Never again. For a facility that was slightly over a year old, the wear and tear in our room looked more like ten years.

It is inconvenient to get to the parks. They have a long way to learn how to run bus service. No convenient crosswalk to Sapphire Falls. You have to play frogger in traffic to get to that resort from CB.

The only redeeming value of CB is the restaurant. Decent food for USO.

We will go back to Hard Rock when we return.
aznosredna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Stayed at Portofino for a couple days last month. I really liked it! It's a little farther from the parks than the other resorts, but it's a pleasant walk and really not that far, and of course there is the boat as well. I'd rate it above Royal Pacific, but the truth is you just can't go wrong with Loew's hotels.
I just ate one meal there, at Mama Della's. Not their most elegant restaurant but I had an excellent dinner.
A couple very minor negatives:
(1) You have to go up & down stairs or elevators to go to/from the lobby to rooms or parking. If you have mobility issues I'd suggest a different hotel.
(2) It is a bit of a chore to get there in a rental car, but once you're there, you won't want to leave!

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 07-05-2018 at 10:41 PM.
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Stayed at Portofino for a couple days last month. I really liked it! It's a little farther from the parks than the other resorts, but it's a pleasant walk and really not that far, and of course there is the boat as well. I'd rate it above Royal Pacific, but the truth is you just can't go wrong with Loew's hotels.
I just ate one meal there, at Mama Della's. Not their most elegant restaurant but I had an excellent dinner.
A couple very minor negatives:
(1) You have to go up & down stairs or elevators to go to/from the lobby to rooms or parking. If you have mobility issues I'd suggest a different hotel.
(2) It is a bit of a chore to get there in a rental car, but once you're there, you won't want to leave!
Hey,
Sorry to bring up old thread, and need to change title,
but we are going ahead and last minute planning this Thanksgiving trip.

When I booked Friday night, Hard Rock was all they had for the 2 nights we needed, so I got that. we've stayed there before, and love the location, but not necessarily the whole vibe of the hotel, but we still like it fine. We've stayed there before.

Today, Portofino is available.....We love being able to walk to/from hotels,
but also I think it would be fun try Portofino, bigger rooms, etc.
How is the boat transportation? very reliable/constantly running.
For reference, I do not like taking the Friendship boats when we're at BWV...very slow and no guarantee you'll get on one, and again, SLOW .

Google walking maps look like about 1 miles to the Universal entrance from Portofino
how walkable is the route??? you think it's about a mile or more?
We drive, so from your experience, is parking a PITA? We tend to bring up our own luggage, or at least at the end of the stay, bring it to car.

I need to decide today! as we only have until tomorrow to cancel.

Thanks!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
CDog
One Bedroom

We stayed at Portofino Bay for 3 nights a few years ago. It’s a very nice resort, but our room was a very long walk from the boat dock...those halls go on forever, even with learning some shortcuts. We never walked to any of the parks, always took the boat, which is a really nice ride. The boat also has a direct route each way, it doesn’t stop at other resorts like the Friendship boats do at the Epcot resorts. If you’re in a hurry to get there, there were always guys with rickshaws for a price. We stayed there because of the larger room sizes and a friend who stayed at all of the resorts there and rated that pool the best in his opinion. We actually never ended up using the pool.

MOD #79
CDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:46 PM   #9
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

We have twice stayed at US. Once at Hard Rock and loved that walk. Also liked the resort just fine. Then we stayed at Royal Pacific. It was a longer walk and I even thought how HR would be a bit quicker. I am not sure how US layout is, where the big 3 resorts are in relation to the 2 parks. But it wasn't a bad walk at all, totally do-able...just HR seems to be best location. It is the thing I love most about US is how everything is so walk-able. It's all right there. At least the big 3 resorts, 2 parks and City Walk...I think the newer resorts are farther (my in laws did one of the off-site partner hotels that got them some perks, not all I don't think, but was cheaper and they said it was inconveniently far away).

Owners since 2006 at OKW, HHI, BWV & CCV
LAURA's next trip(s):
Jan 4-12 RCCL Grandeur OTS, Jan 18-21 HHI, March 2-9 at BLT and Sept 28- Oct 4 at BWV
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:10 PM   #10
frank808
One Bedroom

We love the portofino resort. Standard rooms are the largest of the 3 deluxe resorts. Walk to universal orlabdo is not bad. If you just miss the boat, you can walk across the street and take the short cut through the hard rock parking lot to get to universal entrance. It is no more than 10 minutes with the shortcut through hard rock. We love the vibe and quietness of portofino and the pools are great. Royal pacific is a good second to portofino. We just stayed one night at sapphire Falls last month and prefer the deluxe hotels.