home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
CDog
Two Bedroom

Default Anyone rent a car from Ft Lauderdale airport and turn it in near a Disney resort?

My DSís BFF is having a destination wedding near Ft Lauderdale. The plans are My DS and another friend are going to rent a car from the FT Lauderdale airport and use it for traveling around the wedding festivities area. After the wedding, theyíre driving to BCV for a few days. They wonít need the car once they get to BCV and want to turn it in at the local agencyís location. Does anyone have any tips on how they should do this? I saw that Alamo has a location at the Dolphin, but Alamo seems to only charge by the week and they only need it for 3 days. I was thinking maybe they could use another rental company and then just Uber from that agency to BCV. Any suggestions?

MOD #79
CDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

I donít remember what agency we used but a few years back we did that exact thing.
We had cruised our of Fort Lauderdale and afternoon the cruise we rented a car and drive to WDW. We returned to the Dolphin Resort.

Iíll see if I can find which rental agency we used.
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
Times3
Studio

According to the Costco website Alamo would allow you to pick up at FLL and return at the Dolphin. Avis, Budget & Enterprise also have locations that would work. If you have membership at Costco it may be worth checking out. Good luck.
Times3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:20 PM   #4
runner1219
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I did this this past April. I didnít need a car when I was down near FLL. I u weed to a rental car place and drive the car up to Disney. After we checked in we dropped it off at the Dolphin and took the boat from there to HS. It was super easy. The drop off took less than 5 minutes. You just drop off in front of the building if I recall, tell them itís a rental that you are turning in and they take car of it. I donít remember what company we used though because my sister booked the reservation.
runner1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:10 PM   #5
kzrooster
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDog View Post
My DSís BFF is having a destination wedding near Ft Lauderdale. The plans are My DS and another friend are going to rent a car from the FT Lauderdale airport and use it for traveling around the wedding festivities area. After the wedding, theyíre driving to BCV for a few days. They wonít need the car once they get to BCV and want to turn it in at the local agencyís location. Does anyone have any tips on how they should do this? I saw that Alamo has a location at the Dolphin, but Alamo seems to only charge by the week and they only need it for 3 days. I was thinking maybe they could use another rental company and then just Uber from that agency to BCV. Any suggestions?
My bride thinks it was National.
kzrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 10:24 PM   #6
Times3
Studio

When is he going? I keyed in a 3 day rental for Alamo and it was allowed. I tried it both on the Alamo site directly as well as Costco.
Times3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 06:55 AM   #7
FessParker1
Grand Villa

We do it every spring when we do WDW and visiting relatives. Always use National as I get a great price break through work.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #8
Kathy O
Studio

We just did this last month. We flew into Tampa to avoid the hurricane. Rented a car at Alamo and drove to BoardWalk the same day. Turned in the car the next morning at the Dolphin. Easy peasy.
Kathy O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #9
jpc1073
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

For the past few years I have looked for car rental agencies that have "offices" in hotels located on Hotel Plaza Blvd. When booking my car, I specify I will be returning the car to MCO. But I have never had a problem returning the car to one of these hotels. Last year was an interesting situation. When I pulled into Wyndham Lake Buena Vista, the rental rep was nowhere to be found. The only person at the desk was a man looking to pickup his rental car. After waiting 45 minutes, the rep finally returned and told the other guy she had no cars to give him. When she heard I wanted to drop off my car, it made her day! She gave my car to the other guy and made us both happy. Apparently, when people book cars online to be picked up at hotels, the hotels have no idea what their inventory will be that day.
jpc1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #10
FCivish3
One Bedroom

I have done exactly that, Ft Lauderdale to Magic Kingdom. I'm pretty sure it was Avis, because they have an office you can drop it off over to the west of the Magic kingdom / TTC parking.

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote