home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-04-2019, 10:12 AM   #11
Dkg711
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTloveDW View Post
Just wondering what opinions are on this...

Southwest has an offer for me to purchase RR points at 40% off. I could buy 60,000 points for $990 (instead of $1650). Usually the points we need to fly per RT ticket are equivalent to 12000 points or $230. If I am doing the math correctly that's approximately 5 tickets for $990 (if we buy the tix it's $1150).

Furthermore, if we buy the tickets and have to cancel (or the airfare drops in price) we have 1 year to use the credit...BUT if it's points they just go back into the account.

Let me know if my thought process is accurate. Obviously, this would limit us to just Southwest for our upcoming travel, but I think it might be worth doing as we can fly from Albany, Hartford, or Boston.
Hello,
I'm a frequent SW flyer and have received these offers from SW before. I always look at it from a cost per point perspective to see if it's a good deal or not. Using your numbers, it breaks down like this:
$990 / 60,000 pnts = $0.0165 per point (SW promo cost)
$230 / 12,000 pnts = $0.01917 per point (paying cash)

In this case with your numbers, it's $0.00267 cheaper per point with the SW promo. This is a small number, but it adds up quickly when dealing with tens of thousands of points.

FWIW, everytime I've run the numbers for myself in my own scenario, it's always come out the other way. There's typically a small savings paying cash. Just make sure your numbers are as accurate as possible, otherwise you may be paying a little more with the promo rather than a little less.

Good luck!
Dkg711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
cw62803
Two Bedroom

If you don't have enough points to cover your entire trip, you can book what you can with points and the remainder with cash.
cw62803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:24 AM   #13
VTloveDW
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkg711 View Post
Hello,
I'm a frequent SW flyer and have received these offers from SW before. I always look at it from a cost per point perspective to see if it's a good deal or not. Using your numbers, it breaks down like this:
$990 / 60,000 pnts = $0.0165 per point (SW promo cost)
$230 / 12,000 pnts = $0.01917 per point (paying cash)

In this case with your numbers, it's $0.00267 cheaper per point with the SW promo. This is a small number, but it adds up quickly when dealing with tens of thousands of points.

FWIW, everytime I've run the numbers for myself in my own scenario, it's always come out the other way. There's typically a small savings paying cash. Just make sure your numbers are as accurate as possible, otherwise you may be paying a little more with the promo rather than a little less.

Good luck!
Thanks for running the numbers like this! We did go ahead and get the points because we've had to cancel a trip before (DD10 was really sick) and fortunately we were able to use the credit before they expired, but this way if it happens again the points will simply go back into our account and we don't have the chance of losing the credit.
VTloveDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 11:08 AM   #14
pdude81
Grand Villa

I was slow on this and it ran out. Even though you pay slightly more for the points than they end up being worth I agree it's a solid savings and help. But it's back to 1650 today for the 60k points. I should have enough to last me a bit now anyway so I'll keep an eye out for future offers.
pdude81 is online now   Reply With Quote