home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-30-2019, 08:28 AM   #11
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
There is way more activity than just from regular posters here. The number of registered MO's who have rented points this year numbers in the high hundreds if not nearly 1000.

They can even be counted:

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=133263

Dirk
As far as I understood OPs question is for regular owners renting more then they use on regular basis. RTB is full of people who has 0 posts here and show up once in a blue moon to rent out because they can not go. I donít think OP is looking for these type of owners.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:32 AM   #12
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

As an owner who uses all my points and only my points, I am surprised, nay shocked, that the numbers are so high.

But still not tempted in either direction.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:37 AM   #13
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
As far as I understood OPs question is for regular owners renting more then they use on regular basis. RTB is full of people who has 0 posts here and show up once in a blue moon to rent out because they can not go. I don’t think OP is looking for these type of owners.
This was the OP's question:

Quote:
Is there data on how many DVC members rent more points than they use personally?
Based on MO usage alone, multi-hundreds rent their points every year. How many of them rent more than they use, who knows. Not everyone posts here regularly. Indeed, there are owners with multiple listings per year on the linked list whom I've never seen post on these forums. But they are regular renters.

Then, there is also the DIS, TUG, and brokers. I would venture to say thousands of owners have rented points.

How many on a regular basis or more than than they personally use is absolutely unknowable based on available data.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:21 AM   #14
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
No data yet, it is less then 1%.
Yes less than 1%. Probably less than 0.1%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOVINDVC View Post
So if there’s no data, why do you say less than 1%? My sense from MO is that renting points is rampant.
Well you're on a board where that 1% hangs out and the 99% doesn't. So of the 1% that mostly hang out here, it will naturally seem like of those who hang out here, renting is common.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi from RI View Post
Maybe a poll here on the percentage owners rent??? We use our points most time even in borrow mode!!!
A poll here would not answer the question because your sample is mostly renters it's obviously going to skew really high.

Quote:
Given the number of registrants on MO and DIS, I'm betting a ton of Disney regulars know about the rental market.
Sure a good chunk know about it but most don't do it. I know people in real life who have heard about renting from channels that are not me... but simply put in most cases renting is not a good idea... you can get most rooms for less with complete flexibility and no risk by staying in the hotels. Renting is kind of a circle of those who get into doing it. But it is far from mainstream.

Quote:
Based on MO usage alone, multi-hundreds rent their points every year.
I agree it's in the "hundreds". But there are what - 70 million dvc points out there? If the average ownership is 150 pts then that's some half a million owners. Ballpark. A few hundred out of half a million is indeed less than 1% heck it's less than 0.1%. Despite feeling like renting is all the rage when hanging out here among the renters, it is not common in the big picture.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 09:25 AM   #15
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainjourno View Post
96% of stats are made up on the spot.
I heard it was closer to 68.56%
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:08 AM   #16
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
As studies show!

I can just imagine someone taking a random sample of statistics published in the media, calling them and asking "Was that for real or did you just make it up?".

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:15 AM   #17
mountainjourno
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
You got me!

On a side note, whenever I see your screen name I feel like mine or yours is misspelt

mountainjourno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #18
LOVINDVC
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
As an owner who uses all my points and only my points, I am surprised, nay shocked, that the numbers are so high.

But still not tempted in either direction.
As am I.

SSR OWNERS SINCE 2004
LOVINDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #19
LOVINDVC
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
Yes less than 1%. Probably less than 0.1%.

Well you're on a board where that 1% hangs out and the 99% doesn't. So of the 1% that mostly hang out here, it will naturally seem like of those who hang out here, renting is common.

A poll here would not answer the question because your sample is mostly renters it's obviously going to skew really high.

Sure a good chunk know about it but most don't do it. I know people in real life who have heard about renting from channels that are not me... but simply put in most cases renting is not a good idea... you can get most rooms for less with complete flexibility and no risk by staying in the hotels. Renting is kind of a circle of those who get into doing it. But it is far from mainstream.

I agree it's in the "hundreds". But there are what - 70 million dvc points out there? If the average ownership is 150 pts then that's some half a million owners. Ballpark. A few hundred out of half a million is indeed less than 1% heck it's less than 0.1%. Despite feeling like renting is all the rage when hanging out here among the renters, it is not common in the big picture.
Specifically stayed away from asking what portion of points owned are rented. Wanted to know how many owners rent more points than they use..

SSR OWNERS SINCE 2004
Old 07-30-2019, 11:58 AM   #20
LOVINDVC
Grand Villa

Quote:
There's a forum in the rental section with stickys listing owners who have posted for-rent going back several years. It's more than single digits. Several hundred in fact.

http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=133263

That also doesn't count people who work specifically through a broker or those who may not post a rental ad but respond to want-ads instead (though that number is probably small).

Given the number of registrants on MO and DIS, I'm betting a ton of Disney regulars know about the rental market. The Unofficial Guide also specifically recommends MouseOwners and brokers as rental sites.

The r/t/b is *very* active.

Dirk
All of this is sort of an obfuscation of DVCís original intent.

SSR OWNERS SINCE 2004