home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #1
itutorfortravel
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default When you have a shortage with transferred points

If points are transferred to me for a particular resort, but it's not enough for my stay (like 18 points short), will I be able to purchase the extra one-time use points for my trip, even if it's not my home resort?
itutorfortravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by itutorfortravel View Post
If points are transferred to me for a particular resort, but it's not enough for my stay (like 18 points short), will I be able to purchase the extra one-time use points for my trip, even if it's not my home resort?
Yes, you can buy the extra 18 points for your trip but just know that OTUPs can only be used at 7 months. You can’t purchase OTUP for a specific resort, even if it is your home resort. When you buy OTUP you get whatever they give you and they can’t be used during the home resort booking advantage period.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
Goofy Dad 13
Grand Villa

Yes, but you will not be able to use them until the 7 month mark, as they are not resort specific.

Goofy Dad 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:14 PM   #4
itutorfortravel

Thank you! I just want to clarify, though. If I purchase points at a resort other than my own, I can use them at the 11 month window, right?
Old 07-05-2019, 12:15 PM   #5
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Thank you! I just want to clarify, though. If I purchase points at a resort other than my own, I can use them at the 11 month window, right?
No. One time use points can only be used at the 7 months window.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #6
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
The home resort id and use year id stays with transferred points. So if you want to do a 11 month reservation for Resort X with the transferred points from resort X, you can do it.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:22 PM   #7
itutorfortravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
No. One time use points can only be used at the 7 months window.
I understand about the one time use points. But if a member transfers points to me for a resort other than my own, I can use the points they transferred to me at 11 months, correct?
Old 07-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #8
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Quote:
I understand about the one time use points. But if a member transfers points to me for a resort other than my own, I can use the points they transferred to me at 11 months, correct?
Correct. Just make sure you transfer the correct UY for your desired booking.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:23 PM   #9
itutorfortravel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
The home resort id and use year id stays with transferred points. So if you want to do a 11 month reservation for Resort X with the transferred points from resort X, you can do it.
Thank you! That's great. I was hoping I could get some one time use points to help with a shortage of the transfer, but I see that won't work. At least the transfer points get me the 11 month window.
Old 07-05-2019, 12:26 PM   #10
itutorfortravel

One other question while I have some very knowledgeable members helping me out on the transfer question...

I am considering a couple different transfer options. One where I can get points at a different home resort for booking 11 months somewhere we don't normally have that option.

Another is transferring points from a member with the same home resort and UY. If I transfer from someone with the same home resort and UY, won't these show up online for me? They did when I did a similar transfer around 5 years ago, but I don't know if it's different now.

Thank you!