home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-31-2019, 07:14 PM   #1
Sarco11
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default How far in advance to find points to rent?

Does it make sense to start finding someone from whom to rent points before the 11 month time point? I have a plan for a trip in Dec 2020 to WDW, but not at a peak/holiday time. Just not sure if there is a sweet spot for meeting up with a DVC owner.

New to this rental thing, would like to try it without a "middle man", and any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!
Sarco11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:18 PM   #2
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

You can always make your request on “Reservations Wanted Thread” and state what your interested in.Owners will know when they can book for you. No harm in asking early.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:27 PM   #3
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

I think it depends on where you want to stay, how many points you estimate that you will need, and how flexible you are with your dates and room type.

Personally, I have some standing plans as an AUL and PVB owner that are mapped out annually beyond the 11 month window, but I also book additional getaways on a whim if I have points to spare and don't have a request from a renter on the horizon. I bought my points for my own use, with the flexibility to rent if I plan to have extra in any given year. There are other owners who have more points than they personally plan to use each year, and some who have points that they have designated for rental only.
2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:39 PM   #4
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarco11 View Post
Does it make sense to start finding someone from whom to rent points before the 11 month time point? I have a plan for a trip in Dec 2020 to WDW, but not at a peak/holiday time. Just not sure if there is a sweet spot for meeting up with a DVC owner.

New to this rental thing, would like to try it without a "middle man", and any advice/suggestions would be appreciated!
I rent every year. I cold call my frequent owners who rent more than a year ahead to see if they have points for me . If they do I tell them what I prefer and they book right at the 11 month mark . I send the personal check for total amount the same day they book my reservation .

Many owners who rent have regulars .

Since this is your first time look for an owner who is a regular here who has home Resort priority for the resorts you want to stay.

Become active here yourself. It will not take long to get to know the regulars here and who rents pts.

Learn as much as you can about renting . Become familiar with the rules and the process . Make sure you don’t need much handholding . The regulars here are very familiar with dvc rules and requirements for successful renting. . If you go with a regular you will not have to worry if they own or if they know what they are doing. .

You many not save money renting directly but you have an excellent chance of getting the size room at the resort you prefer.

Ask as many questions as you like. We love to answer and talk about all things dvc.

Sadly early Dec is a peak time for renting. DVC pts .

Sherry a renter with over 8,000 Post here .
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 10:48 AM   #5
Sarco11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
I rent every year. I cold call my frequent owners who rent more than a year ahead to see if they have points for me . If they do I tell them what I prefer and they book right at the 11 month mark . I send the personal check for total amount the same day they book my reservation .

Many owners who rent have regulars .

Since this is your first time look for an owner who is a regular here who has home Resort priority for the resorts you want to stay.

Become active here yourself. It will not take long to get to know the regulars here and who rents pts.

Learn as much as you can about renting . Become familiar with the rules and the process . Make sure you donít need much handholding . The regulars here are very familiar with dvc rules and requirements for successful renting. . If you go with a regular you will not have to worry if they own or if they know what they are doing. .

You many not save money renting directly but you have an excellent chance of getting the size room at the resort you prefer.

Ask as many questions as you like. We love to answer and talk about all things dvc.

Sadly early Dec is a peak time for renting. DVC pts .

Sherry a renter with over 8,000 Post here .
Thanks for all the helpful hints Sherry! I can see why early December would be a popular time to rent DVC points. I figured since we are doing a Very Merrytime Cruise the week after Thanksgiving this year due to the lower cost compared the other weeks, that it may just become an annual time to do something Disney.we may as well do something Disney the same time in 2020.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:44 AM   #6
EEGRAM
Grand Villa

I sent you a PM. Let me know if you did not get it.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #7
shelly f - ohio

Yes if you have plans to visit the first week of Dec it is best to find someone early who can book at the 11 month mark. The first week of Dec is always busy because of the Pop Warner Superbowl and the national cheerleading competition both held at WDW. And rooms sell out at the 11 month mark. And forget taking the DME to Disney the wait times have been reported to be an hour wait to just get on a bus.

Last edited by shelly f - ohio; 06-05-2019 at 04:23 PM.
shelly f - ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:17 PM   #8
Sarco11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelly f - ohio View Post
Yes if you have plans to visit the first week of Dec it is best to find someone early who can book at the 11 month mark. The first week of Dec is always busy because of the Pop Warner Superbowl and the national cheerleading competition both held at WDW. And forget taking the DME to Disney the wait times have been reported to be an hour wait to just get on a bus.
Thank you SO much! That is extremely useful information. We have never done a December trip, and thus I was unaware of those super fun sounding challenges. I wanted to go that week as the points were low and it made sense to extend the Thanksgiving holiday. So, maybe Dec week 2 is a better option! I will do more research into what activities may be occurring during our potential future visit!
Old 06-05-2019, 04:34 PM   #9
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarco11 View Post
Thank you SO much! That is extremely useful information. We have never done a December trip, and thus I was unaware of those super fun sounding challenges. I wanted to go that week as the points were low and it made sense to extend the Thanksgiving holiday. So, maybe Dec week 2 is a better option! I will do more research into what activities may be occurring during our potential future visit!
Actually early Nov is better . Christmas decorations are up and food and wine has not yet ended. The Christmas party has started . The weather is lovely and points are still low. It is a popular time too so book early.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 04:37 PM   #10
NYDVC
Grand Villa

As a renter I would ask as early as possible. like others you can set up the transaction and be ready at the 11 month to book the location you want. Building a good relationship and trust with your renter will make the process much easier.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out, shouting 'GERONIMO!" Bill McKenna

NYDVC is offline   Reply With Quote