home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-25-2019, 02:04 PM   #11
Orion54
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
As one trained in lift evac... I wonder how MANY of those nice looking units they will have sitting on standby almost 24/7. Weather is the #1 enemy for evac. If they have a LOT of those units (and trained staff)...... all will go quickly. If they don't........ how long will it take til the last person is off the lift? In potential 100F heat, with no cabin movement to circulate air.

best,

...........john
So you're saying free and 1 non Tier 1 FP?
Old 04-25-2019, 02:28 PM   #12
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
As one trained in lift evac... I wonder how MANY of those nice looking units they will have sitting on standby almost 24/7. Weather is the #1 enemy for evac. If they have a LOT of those units (and trained staff)...... all will go quickly. If they don't........ how long will it take til the last person is off the lift? In potential 100F heat, with no cabin movement to circulate air.

best,

...........john
And add scooters to the mix the evac may be difficult to say the least. The old MK sky liners broke down frequently. But I donít remember any evacuation efforts. Instead we just hung there and waited until it starts again.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:16 PM   #13
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Detach lifts (ones where the haul rope keeps moving at about 1000 fpm and the cabins are then accelerated from a slow pace, matched to 1000 fpm, and then clamped onto that already moving cable) are complex pieces of equipment. When you go into the drive stations... you instantly understand about that. It is 'computer city". The lift has to "know" wher each part of the system is at any given time.

When it works ... they are amazing. When something goes wrong...... it often takes a while to find the situation and correct it.

Luckily most faults are minor and after maybe 5 minutes they can restart it all back to normal.

The next class is kind'a more major issues.... but the haul rope in these cases can eventually be run at a very reduced (crawling along) speed until they can offload all the cabins at the normal terminals. Read this also as "reduced ventilation rate".

The class I worry about at WDW is the rarer ones... where they can't run the haul rope. The cabins a re dead in the water until they can evaluate the issues and repair them. This is when they have to call a lift evac. Everyone has to come off that lift by something other than a normal manner.

People neat the terminals at low heights can be gotten off with ladders. After a certain height,..... it is the crane units or using ropes and belaying them down. Over water either they have fancy boat cranes... or it is likely belaying.

One of the biggest issues evac teams face is people not wanting to get out! A lot of time is wasted dealing with psychological issues. Coaxing someone afraid of heights to step out over empty space. It is a real art. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt multiple times. If it is the belay method... it is WAY worse than it will be with the cranes..... but those will not 'feel good' to many people.

In the snowsports industry what we always feared was the cold. A brutally cold day with high winds and a lift going down... and we were racing time due to hypothermia and frostbite. In Florida in the summer on a 100F day with high humidity, the race they will have will be with heat exhaustion and heat stroke and dehydration. Remember, when the cabins are not moving at 1000 fpm....... no ventilation.

If they don't have a LOT of those evac crane units and the people to RUN those evacs.)....... it is going to take a long time to get everyone off. In the winter a mile long ski lift can take hours to fully evac. Some of what we deal with is different, but with the runs over water...Disney will have its own set of challenges.

I'm sure they are preparing. But history in the snowsports industry says....... it won't be enough to prevent some real problems when it happens.

best,

.............john
Old 04-25-2019, 03:21 PM   #14
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
A barge full of jello.

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:22 PM   #15
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
That's why the Epcot Illuminations show is changing. They need to retrofit the fireworks barges as emergency response vehicles...
Double duty!

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
Boundin'
Grand Villa

The Sweatliner...yuk,yuk

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:43 PM   #17
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Detach lifts (ones where the haul rope keeps moving at about 1000 fpm and the cabins are then accelerated from a slow pace, matched to 1000 fpm, and then clamped onto that already moving cable) are complex pieces of equipment. When you go into the drive stations... you instantly understand about that. It is 'computer city". The lift has to "know" wher each part of the system is at any given time.

When it works ... they are amazing. When something goes wrong...... it often takes a while to find the situation and correct it.

Luckily most faults are minor and after maybe 5 minutes they can restart it all back to normal.

The next class is kind'a more major issues.... but the haul rope in these cases can eventually be run at a very reduced (crawling along) speed until they can offload all the cabins at the normal terminals. Read this also as "reduced ventilation rate".

The class I worry about at WDW is the rarer ones... where they can't run the haul rope. The cabins a re dead in the water until they can evaluate the issues and repair them. This is when they have to call a lift evac. Everyone has to come off that lift by something other than a normal manner.

People neat the terminals at low heights can be gotten off with ladders. After a certain height,..... it is the crane units or using ropes and belaying them down. Over water either they have fancy boat cranes... or it is likely belaying.

One of the biggest issues evac teams face is people not wanting to get out! A lot of time is wasted dealing with psychological issues. Coaxing someone afraid of heights to step out over empty space. It is a real art. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt multiple times. If it is the belay method... it is WAY worse than it will be with the cranes..... but those will not 'feel good' to many people.

In the snowsports industry what we always feared was the cold. A brutally cold day with high winds and a lift going down... and we were racing time due to hypothermia and frostbite. In Florida in the summer on a 100F day with high humidity, the race they will have will be with heat exhaustion and heat stroke and dehydration. Remember, when the cabins are not moving at 1000 fpm....... no ventilation.

If they don't have a LOT of those evac crane units and the people to RUN those evacs.)....... it is going to take a long time to get everyone off. In the winter a mile long ski lift can take hours to fully evac. Some of what we deal with is different, but with the runs over water...Disney will have its own set of challenges.

I'm sure they are preparing. But history in the snowsports industry says....... it won't be enough to prevent some real problems when it happens.

best,

.............john
The runs over water are minimal. It looks like there will be drivable surface under most of the gondola route for the lifts to easily traverse.

There are also barges for evacs over water.

Given Disney's reputation and record, I suspect their standards for training will be extensive. Another expert already noted that Disney's testing process is significantly longer than he's seen elsewhere with the same type of system.

I don't doubt for a second that whatever scenario we can come up with, Disney has already thought up and planned for.

I think it will be easier to evac than a stopped monorail that can't be towed back.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:53 PM   #18
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Blog Mickey has evacuation photos. It looks like Disney will have pretty good access to the gondolas.

http://blogmickey.com/2019/04/photos...-disney-world/

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:58 PM   #19
Jillybean315
Two Bedroom

Okay. 100% on board with a procedure. Being that I am terrified of heights when I am not completely enclosed, I may never ride that thing due to the fact that I would completely flip out on that cherry picker platform!

Disney Trips:
POR-Riverside: June, 2011
Off Proprety: June, 2012
All Star Movies: December, 2012
All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge: June, 2013
Coronado Springs: Dec., 2013 & Dec. 2014
Boardwalk Villas: Jan., 2016 (1st DVC Visit)
Beach Club Villas & POR Riverside: Sept, 2016
Polynesian Villas & Bay Lake Tower:June, 2017
Old Key West: Jan., 2018
Split Stay Off Property & Saratoga Springs: June, 2019

Coming Soon: Beach Club: Jan., 2020

(Me) (DH) (DS age 14) (DD age 11)

Jillybean315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 04:02 PM   #20
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post

I think I would rather not know the procedure to evacuate the skyliners .

goldi
goldilocks_63 is online now   Reply With Quote