home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-04-2019, 05:04 PM   #1
Rozzie
Grand Villa

Default UPDATE!: SUNRAIL/VIRGIN trains to link to Airport/WDW (update with more info page 3)

Breaking news here! As for a local I am very happy to hear another SunRail line opening up. My working hours prevent me from utilizing Sunrail but many neighbors take advantage of it. Now I could SunRail over to the parks and avoid I-4 possibly? Super!!

I thought WDW would fight tooth and nail on this but it appears they are in favor of it...
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...404-story.html

Last edited by Rozzie; 04-06-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Rozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 05:12 PM   #2
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozzie View Post
Breaking news here! As for a local I am very happy to hear another SunRail line opening up. My working hours prevent me from utilizing Sunrail but many neighbors take advantage of it. Now I could SunRail over to the parks and avoid I4 possibly? Super!!

I thought WDW would fight tooth and nail on this but it appears they are in favor of it...
https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...404-story.html
Could you quote the article for those of us still blocked from the news site please?

Aside: Come on, get your act together with this nonsense access issue . It’s ridiculous that some organisations still can’t get it sorted out.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #3
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post

Aside: Come on, get your act together with this nonsense access issue . It’s ridiculous that some organisations still can’t get it sorted out.
Like the Telegraph and the Times of London? Ahem. . .

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:41 PM   #4
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

If the train links MCO and WDW could that mean DME is eliminated?

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #5
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Very intriguing.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:55 PM   #6
Fiveresorts
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
If the train links MCO and WDW could that mean DME is eliminated?
I doubt it it will get you to a station. WDW is huge you would still need to take a bus to the resort.
Fiveresorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #7
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveresorts View Post
I doubt it it will get you to a station. WDW is huge you would still need to take a bus to the resort.

Agreed.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:19 PM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Depending on where in Tampa this could be a good thing. I hate I-4!
Old 04-04-2019, 10:50 PM   #9
Rozzie
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Could you quote the article for those of us still blocked from the news site please?

Here is most of the article:

Branson said his company’s presence has kept the Orlando link on track.
“Under the Virgin Trains banner, the team was able to raise nearly $1.8 billion here in the last three weeks,” Branson said. “That’s the money we need to build to Orlando.”
Branson said Virgin has “98 percent brand recognition in America and nearly 100 percent in Europe, whereas Brightline is really only known in Miami.”
“So I think the Virgin brand has helped in the process,” Branson said. “I think many people will learn about Virgin Trains in Orlando and jump on them.”
Goddard added that a Disney station “would integrate with their transportation system, hotels and theme parks.”
A nearly 20-mile extension to Disney would include a stop at SunRail’s Meadow Woods station about 10 miles south of downtown Orlando in south Orange County, meaning that the region’s commuter-rail system would finally have a link to Orlando’s airport.
Having started up five years ago, SunRail under the Florida Department of Transportation management no longer even has a proposal in place for linking with Orlando International Airport.
The prospect of Virgin Trains providing a link between SunRail and the airport has tantalized local leaders. But many differences between the two systems would have to be resolved.
SunRail’s base fare is about 10 cents per mile, while Virgin Trains’ charge about 30 cents a mile. With the higher fares of the two trains, Virgin offers more of a luxury experience; SunRail prohibits food and beverage on its trains, while Virgin serves them.
Goddard has said previously his company is ready to resolve operational differences.
“The Meadow Woods connection with SunRail obviously would be a pretty meaningful integration with the Central Florida transportation network,” Goddard said on Thursday.
Rozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:11 AM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Not really seeing this impact our trips to WDW. I guess its good for locals?