home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-02-2019, 03:15 PM   #1
jmark
Two Bedroom

Default Southwest Is Canceling Flights and Being Shady

As a heads up to all MO's, if you have an upcoming flight scheduled on Southwest, you should check to see if its been cancelled. Due to the grounding of the 737 Max's, they have been canceling a substantial number of flights (often without telling customers right away) and placing passengers on inferior options without any recourse. I have been a frequent flyer of Southwest and have already decided that I will not use them to fly anymore. If you have an upcoming flight, you should check immediately to see if it has been cancelled.

Some background- I booked 4 direct flights when the fares from Islip to Orlando when they first came out back in September. a week ago (after the 737 Max issues arose), I then received an e-mail from southwest reminding me of my upcoming flight during spring break. Just yesterday I get an e-mail that my 3 hour direct flight had been changed (without warning) to a flight with two connections that was now scheduled to take 9 hours (Islip- Baltimore-Buffalo- Orlando). After being on the phone for hours with Southwest and going up the food chain, I was told that was my only option from Islip or they could switch me to a flight from LaGuardia or Newark () with only one connection. When I told them that 1) I paid for a direct flight not a connecting flight and certainly not a 9 hour flight that would literally result in 12 hours of travel time to freaking Orlando 2) the cost to fly out of Laguardia is exponentially higher to me for parking fees or car service considering I literally live 15 minutes from islip. While I understood that things happen, what would they do if I just announced at the airport that I decided that I wanted to change my flight two weeks in advance. Similarly, they knew they had a problem a few weeks ago and did nothing (and sent me a confirmation e-mail). I could have changed my DVC reso to fly out a different day but they waited too long. I told them I wasn't expecting a free flight but they should provide some sort of credit to offset their inconvenience. They are not willing to do anything except refund my flights (which considering its only a few weeks from when we go its impossible to get a decent fare). Their response is completely unacceptable. I've had issues with other airlines and while they may be stingy, they have accommodated and at least worked through the situation. Southwest- nothing. I've been on the phone almost 5 hours with them going in circles.

Making matters worse, we paid for an early bird so we don't have to worry about boarding. We were told they could move the early bird. to the new flights. I asked if that will that get me priority as of when I purchased ticket last September or from today (which is worthless). At first told that they could move early bird-then told they couldn't. At least they are refunding us for early bird but they can't even give us an earlier boarding pass. Completely unacceptable.

I'm a realist and I understand I'm not getting a free flight or anything like that but they really need to offer something for the inconvenience other than a refund. We are debating canceling the reservation and just driving. But I will NEVER fly Southwest again.

Sorry for the rant- but do check your flights. Two families we know had their return flights cancelled and were not even notified. Southwest is garbage and shady as hell.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:41 PM   #2
MMC1
Grand Villa

We should worry that Boeing will treat SW with same attitude and SW poor company will just have to accept no recompense .
Similar treatment from SW for My son receiving late night notice and nothing available to make decent change resulting in paying for extra hotel nights.
Also pissed at Southwest Airlines. If Boeing compensates SW for loss they should be notify their customers .... And not with free drink coupon
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Iím very sorry this happened to you. I have noticed theyíve cancelled a lot of their flights lately even before the Max8 issues which is making me nervous to fly them despite having the companion pass. My CP will expire in December, and we honestly donít know if itís worth getting another one because of all of the cancelled flights.
Old 04-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #4
ocean702
Two Bedroom

What a pain! Sorry for your troubles.

Our flights also got changed with little notice. We have three travel parties (3 confirmations codes) on same flights. Only one of the parties received an email of flight change! Luckily my mom told me and I looked at my SW app which showed the changes flights.

Originally SW changed my parent sflight home to the day before and my in laws flight down the day after scheduled. We were same day but different times.

I called as soon as I found out and the SW agent was helpful and was able to get us all on a nonstop flight down and a connection through bwi flight back on the origins travel dates. . He could have done a nonstop home but it got in at 1am and we didnít want that.

I did ask about compensation for the changes and he gave me the stock answer that at this point they were able to switch flights at no cost to travelers but were not given permission to give credit.
It sounds like I had better flights options from Providence to Orlando than you had from Islip. Which is probably why I had a more positive experience with SW.

So I agree with your adviceócheck your upcoming travel!
ocean702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:04 PM   #5
Jillybean315
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmark View Post
As a heads up to all MO's, if you have an upcoming flight scheduled on Southwest, you should check to see if its been cancelled. Due to the grounding of the 737 Max's, they have been canceling a substantial number of flights (often without telling customers right away) and placing passengers on inferior options without any recourse. I have been a frequent flyer of Southwest and have already decided that I will not use them to fly anymore. If you have an upcoming flight, you should check immediately to see if it has been cancelled.

Some background- I booked 4 direct flights when the fares from Islip to Orlando when they first came out back in September. a week ago (after the 737 Max issues arose), I then received an e-mail from southwest reminding me of my upcoming flight during spring break. Just yesterday I get an e-mail that my 3 hour direct flight had been changed (without warning) to a flight with two connections that was now scheduled to take 9 hours (Islip- Baltimore-Buffalo- Orlando). After being on the phone for hours with Southwest and going up the food chain, I was told that was my only option from Islip or they could switch me to a flight from LaGuardia or Newark () with only one connection. When I told them that 1) I paid for a direct flight not a connecting flight and certainly not a 9 hour flight that would literally result in 12 hours of travel time to freaking Orlando 2) the cost to fly out of Laguardia is exponentially higher to me for parking fees or car service considering I literally live 15 minutes from islip. While I understood that things happen, what would they do if I just announced at the airport that I decided that I wanted to change my flight two weeks in advance. Similarly, they knew they had a problem a few weeks ago and did nothing (and sent me a confirmation e-mail). I could have changed my DVC reso to fly out a different day but they waited too long. I told them I wasn't expecting a free flight but they should provide some sort of credit to offset their inconvenience. They are not willing to do anything except refund my flights (which considering its only a few weeks from when we go its impossible to get a decent fare). Their response is completely unacceptable. I've had issues with other airlines and while they may be stingy, they have accommodated and at least worked through the situation. Southwest- nothing. I've been on the phone almost 5 hours with them going in circles.

Making matters worse, we paid for an early bird so we don't have to worry about boarding. We were told they could move the early bird. to the new flights. I asked if that will that get me priority as of when I purchased ticket last September or from today (which is worthless). At first told that they could move early bird-then told they couldn't. At least they are refunding us for early bird but they can't even give us an earlier boarding pass. Completely unacceptable.

I'm a realist and I understand I'm not getting a free flight or anything like that but they really need to offer something for the inconvenience other than a refund. We are debating canceling the reservation and just driving. But I will NEVER fly Southwest again.

Sorry for the rant- but do check your flights. Two families we know had their return flights cancelled and were not even notified. Southwest is garbage and shady as hell.
A friend of mine was flying Southwest direct from DAL to MCO on the 9th. She paid for and drove to an airport hotel the night before since we are about 2 and 1/2 hours from the airport and she had an 8am flight. At 5:30 am the morning of her flight, she received a message that her flight was delayed. 15 minutes later, her flight was delayed again. She got to the airport, got through security, and received a text that the flight had been cancelled, and she had been placed on another flight that would have a connection in ATL. She got on that flight, but it was behind so she missed the connection to MCO. After arguing with Southwest for about 30 minutes, she finally booked a very pricey AA flight- arriving at MCO 5 hours later than she was supposed to. She has gone round-and-round with Southwest for the past couple of weeks about being reimbursed for her expenses, and they finally offered to refund her $500.

Disney Trips:
POR-Riverside: June, 2011
Off Proprety: June, 2012
All Star Movies: December, 2012
All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge: June, 2013
Coronado Springs: Dec., 2013 & Dec. 2014
Boardwalk Villas: Jan., 2016 (1st DVC Visit)
Beach Club Villas & POR Riverside: Sept, 2016
Polynesian Villas & Bay Lake Tower:June, 2017
Old Key West: Jan., 2018
Split Stay Off Property & Saratoga Springs: June, 2019

Coming Soon: Beach Club: Jan., 2020

(Me) (DH) (DS age 14) (DD age 11)

Jillybean315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
Lovetheboardwalk
Grand Villa

American did the same thing to my daughter's flight to Montana ~ Direct from Chicago...changed to Chicago to Montana via Dallas. I don't think so.
She got it changed back. Expensive ticket!

Home Sweet Home:
**BWV 1999 **BRV 2017**

**Boulder Ridge Jan. 2020**
**Boardwalk Feb. 2020**
Resorts we still need to visit: VGF, AKL, Poly, & DRR
Lovetheboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
TexasChick
Grand Villa

We have started driving on more vacations because of many bad flying experiences over the last few years. I just hate that we are paying a lot of money to fly only to be screwed over or massively inconvenienced with nothing more than a "deal with it" attitude from the airlines. It isn't right.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:00 PM   #8
Tessa
Two Bedroom

Default Yes! Southwest has been super shady!

Long story short, similar thing happened to me two weeks ago. An hour before my flight, while at the airport, I found out by accident that my flight is delayed so long that I won't make my connection. Southwest wouldn't work with me and couldn't get me back home for two more days. I spent $877 for a one way ticket home on another airline. Not happy with Southwest.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:05 PM   #9
cpnkirk
Two Bedroom

Thanks for the warning. I'll keep an eye on my flights - I've got 2 trips scheduled in the next couple of months, and my wife has one in July. One is a business trip, so if we get stuck my boss will be stuck there with me
Nov 2017 BWV/BRV/AKV
Dec 2016, POR
March 2014, off site

cpnkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #10
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Thanks jmark!

Sorry very sorry this happened to you.

We have an upcoming flight and I really appreciate the heads up!
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote