home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-22-2018, 07:15 AM   #11
Deb & Bill
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieMom View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! I will try and see which one works.

Unfortunately me being a rookie renter, I only took a small deposit and booked the reservation. It was only 2 nights, but after I booked the person then said they didn't want the first night (because their flight gets in so late it'd be wasted) but would like to add a night on the end. Of course, it being F&W, there's nothing available. So he wants me to find him the extra night or return his deposit! And not just any night; no room switches, so no difference in room view/types. I'm chalking it up to a learning experience, and will try to re-rent the points in holding or the reservation and just return the deposit. I don't want to deal with waitlisting and hoping the room comes through for him (chances being so slim).
Tell him, sorry no refunds. Keep the small deposit and learn a lesson for the future.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:42 AM   #12
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Ok, got it. So I'm just limited by availability within the next 60 days. Thanks!
You can use the points at anytime prior to expiration but can only book for availability of 60 days (if points are booked it has to be for availability on a reservation within 60 days; the 7 month/11month rule not longer applies.)
Slim pickings.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 07:46 AM   #13
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Tell him, sorry no refunds. Keep the small deposit and learn a lesson for the future.
Quote:

Unfortunately me being a rookie renter, I only took a small deposit and booked the reservation. It was only 2 nights, but after I booked the person then said they didn't want the first night (because their flight gets in so late it'd be wasted) but would like to add a night on the end. Of course, it being F&W, there's nothing available. So he wants me to find him the extra night or return his deposit! And not just any night; no room switches, so no difference in room view/types. I'm chalking it up to a learning experience, and will try to re-rent the points in holding or the reservation and just return the deposit. I don't want to deal with waitlisting and hoping the room comes through for him (chances being so slim).
Some people want the moon.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 08:26 AM   #14
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Song View Post
If you have another reservation, you can ask to reallocate the holding points to that reservation when it's within 60 days.
The points can only be reallocated if that same room is still available at 60 days. That won't be easy to find.

Quote:

Do NOT return the deposit. Do you not have a contract with this renter ? The deposit is the renter's first guarantee that he will keep to his side of the bargain which he is not doing. If he has an issue with it - I would direct him to David's site to read how DVC rental typically works. No refunds, no changes. He should just be thankful that you don't sue him for the rest of the money.
I think you need to take control of this situation. Your renter is trying to treat it like this is a hotel ressie and it is completely different. No timeshare rental ever offers refunds because the owner is almost always in a loss situation. The reason renting is so much cheaper than getting a room cash from Disney is because of these restrictions. If you didn't have a contract explaining this, then you definitely share some responsibility, but that still doesn't get him his deposit back (unless you told him differently).

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #15
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

I agree with the others -- unless you told him he could change his plans, I would not refund the deposit. You are not a hotel. He can't sue you for breach as long as you are holding the room for him.

Also -- what is your UY? If you have an OCT/DEC UY, you're going to have a very difficult time in using those points. 60 day availability is quite difficult during the fall frenzy.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 03:30 PM   #16
NewbieMom
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post

Do NOT return the deposit. Do you not have a contract with this renter ? The deposit is the renter's first guarantee that he will keep to his side of the bargain which he is not doing. If he has an issue with it - I would direct him to David's site to read how DVC rental typically works. No refunds, no changes. He should just be thankful that you don't sue him for the rest of the money.
I think you need to take control of this situation. Your renter is trying to treat it like this is a hotel ressie and it is completely different. No timeshare rental ever offers refunds because the owner is almost always in a loss situation. The reason renting is so much cheaper than getting a room cash from Disney is because of these restrictions. If you didn't have a contract explaining this, then you definitely share some responsibility, but that still doesn't get him his deposit back (unless you told him differently).
We were conversing via PM, and when he said 2 nights is fine, I asked for deposit and emailed him my simple contract with dates, room type, and deposit/total price. He sent me the deposit, but not the signed contract. At that point, I booked it because I didn't want the room to be gone and I guess it's my fault for assuming that the deposit means confirmation because sometimes people don't have immediate access to a printer/scanner. Then he sent a message that those first 2 nights were not acceptable, it has to be the last 2nd and 3rd nights, and didn't return the contract.

Definitely throughout the whole conversation, I had said non-refundable when I book.

Quote:
Tell him, sorry no refunds. Keep the small deposit and learn a lesson for the future.).
I guess I'm just trying to find a reasonable, fair solution because both sides are at fault. I share responsibilty for my assumptions. So if I'm able to re-rent the points/reservation (2 nights is a lot of points to lose!), I'm ok with returning his deposit.
NewbieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #17
It's Me
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb & Bill View Post
Tell him, sorry no refunds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post

Do NOT return the deposit.

If you didn't have a contract explaining this, then you definitely share some responsibility, but that still doesn't get him his deposit back (unless you told him differently).
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
I agree with the others -- unless you told him he could change his plans, I would not refund the deposit. You are not a hotel. He can't sue you for breach as long as you are holding the room for him.
As others have said, you should not give him the deposit back. MAYBE if you are able to find another renter or another reservation for yourself, you give it back, or give partial back (If I could find another renter I'd probably give partial back, or maybe all, depending on the circumstances, how much the deposit was etc).
But for the time and effort you put in for him/her and now the limited use of your points being in holding, the deposit should be yours. JMHO

It's Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:24 PM   #18
Kreis76
Studio

Check with Davidís or one of the other rental sites. I know Davidís offers confirmed reservations for rent. And since itís food and wine you likely could get someone even for two days.
Kreis76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:45 PM   #19
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
We were conversing via PM, and when he said 2 nights is fine, I asked for deposit and emailed him my simple contract with dates, room type, and deposit/total price. He sent me the deposit, but not the signed contract. At that point, I booked it because I didn't want the room to be gone and I guess it's my fault for assuming that the deposit means confirmation because sometimes people don't have immediate access to a printer/scanner. Then he sent a message that those first 2 nights were not acceptable, it has to be the last 2nd and 3rd nights, and didn't return the contract.

Definitely throughout the whole conversation, I had said non-refundable when I book.

I guess I'm just trying to find a reasonable, fair solution because both sides are at fault. I share responsibilty for my assumptions. So if I'm able to re-rent the points/reservation (2 nights is a lot of points to lose!), I'm ok with returning his deposit.
PRIOR to his sending you the deposit -- did you both agree to the particular nights that are being booked?

Also -- it might be easier to give advice if you could cut and paste the actual exchange. Just remove the screen names when doing so.
Old 08-22-2018, 04:54 PM   #20
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:

Sometimes actions can constitute acceptance of the terms. Also -- written contracts are not always necessary for a "contract" to be established.

Quote:
Acceptance by Actions
Acceptance isn't always communicated by words; sometimes actions suffice. For example, if a buyer places an order to buy goods at a certain price, and the seller responds by shipping the goods, the seller's actions signal acceptance of the offer.
https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclope...ers-32651.html