home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #11
Erigeni5
Studio

Default Square

Oh wow! I was actually thinking of using PayPal if one day I want to rent out points.

How about Square? Anyone ever try? It has the same online invoicing feature as PayPal.

<https://squareup.com/invoices>
Erigeni5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:52 AM   #12
DVC Data

Exclamation

Credit cards seem to offer the best protection for renters, so the ability to accept credit cards is a useful advantage for some DVC owners who rent.

To be able to accept a credit card, however, you’ll need to utilize a merchant account service provider. A merchant account services act as a middleman between the DVC owner and the renter's credit card company. Some offer the ability to turn an iPhone or iPad into a payment terminal. However, typically DVC owners should expect to pay fees each month and per transaction for the ability to accept credit and debit card payments. The main drawback to this approach is cost, which puts it out of reach for most DVC owners who rent their points out infrequently.

Online credit card processors are a better choice for most DVC owners. They allow your renters to submit payment via a web site (i.e., PayPal), or using mobile card readers that can attach to iPhones and iPads (i.e., Square). These are best suited for owners that don't do many credit and debit card transactions each month – like most DVC owners who rent their points. There are lower or nonexistent setup and monthly fees, although the transaction fees are higher than a merchant account service provider. Besides PayPal, there is Square, Google Checkout, GoEmerchant, EPX, and Flagship Merchant Services. The web site approach doesn't involve the renter handing over their credit card information to a perfect stranger.

PayPal has been one of the easiest ways for a renter to pay an owner, without having to expose their credit card information, and provides the renter with some protection depending upon the credit card used.

Another payment method mentioned is Square Cash, but it doesn’t involve credit cards at all and is more akin to a wire transfer. Square Cash is a different and easy peer-to-peer way to send cash. Sending cash with Square is as easy as emailing someone with a dollar amount in the subject line and CC-ing cash@square.com. It’s linked into your debit card and thus your bank checking account. They charge a 1.5% transaction fee for business use (Square Cash Pro); otherwise, it’s free. There are some concerns about security risks, as well as your liability for fraud, were someone to hack into your email account. Square Cash works only in the United States. Unlike credit cards, there is no buyer protection provided.

Last edited by DVC Data; 04-25-2015 at 05:57 AM.
DVC Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #13
SuzanneSLO
Grand Villa

Mike: thanks for all the information. It's hard for those of us who rarely rent to keep up with the ever changing environment of digital and online payment options. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:38 AM   #14
DVC Data

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post
Mike: thanks for all the information. It's hard for those of us who rarely rent to keep up with the ever changing environment of digital and online payment options. -- Suzanne
And thanks for pointing out the PayPal information. I remember that coming out a couple of years ago, but it is still widely ignored (kind of like the DVC rule about not being compensated for point transfers).
DVC Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #15
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC Mike View Post
I think it's funny that eBay owns PayPal (until they split later this summer), and you can use PayPal on eBay to pay for a timeshare rental.
not so funny when one knows the score, but would like to use ebay as a rental platform. i've spent some time trying to figure this out. ebay does allow some other forms of online payment but i haven't tried that yet.

a classified ad permits one to advertise for $9.95/month, then terms and the sale are conducted outside of ebay and/or paypal.

however, most ebayers are pretty clueless about dvc and have more unrealistic expectations than newbies here. and they are used to seeing cheapo rci exchanges...although those deals are not that attractive recently.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 05:27 AM   #16
dlpmikki
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I should have thought of MouseOwners when I wanted to rent some excess points last year (my bad!). What I did do with very low expectations was post on my Facebook account and I was inundated with friends wanting to rent points. The plus side for this was most of them were in the same country as me (UK) so we could do bank transfers. And I knew them and they knew me - trust factor engaged before you start. Renting to friends in the USA etc needs some way of getting money across borders and if paypal is a no no that gets difficult.
dlpmikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 06:29 AM   #17
mglg5

Mike,

We don't rent out points often, but this past year my family's plans have changed drastically and we had to rent out some points 3 times, so I've become much more comfortable with the process.

I don't use a rental agreement, because the entire transaction is (just as Billy Joel wrote) A Matter of Trust. The DVC member does not have much risk in this transaction, it's the people renting the points that do. I only do this with a personal check, that way the people renting my points will have as much information about me as I have about them. A phone conversation is a must, if you can't speak with someone...how can you gauge trust.
mglg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:45 PM   #18
TOMO
Studio

Default Payment directly to member accounting

I'm thinking of transferring points and would like to have the proceeds go directly towards annual MF's. Has anyone had a renter/transferee make credit card payment directly to member accounting?
TOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:12 PM   #19
mglg5

The Rent/Trade board
mglg5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:31 PM   #20
Caren90
Two Bedroom

Thanks Mike,

Useful information for all.
The Paypal info was especially eye opening.

Stephen
Caren90 is offline   Reply With Quote