home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Oh, No, They Didn't!!!!! (Guests Behaving Badly)
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-25-2019, 10:56 PM   #21
MagicJourneys
Two Bedroom

I do sympathize, but while commenting unfavorably on someone’s physical appearance (“bad splotchy attempt at growing a beard”) is not as bad as mocking a disability, it was still unnecessary and should not have been included IMO.
MagicJourneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:36 PM   #22
BobParr
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by John2247 View Post
Mine too! What has happened to common courtesy in our world today? But I see this type of behavior on TV news all the time. I people feel they have to belittle someone else to make their selves seem important.

John
Twitter/Facebook happened. Being able to attack and/or judge others without fear of (at least physical) accountability. It has shaped the way an entire generation interacts, and not for the better. The “most connected” generation is also the loneliest, with the worst social skills.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:27 PM   #23
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobParr View Post
Twitter/Facebook happened. Being able to attack and/or judge others without fear of (at least physical) accountability.
Twitter and Facebook are newbies to the scene. This started long before those companies were born. TwitBook has just brought what was more of a geek thing to the less-techie masses.

Cheers.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:38 PM   #24
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I don’t think there are more jerks out there. I think social media and 24 hour media makes the existing jerks more visible.

I keep telling people, “Food and puppies. Food and puppies. That’s all social media is good for. Oh, and Disney.”

I honestly can’t say I came across any jerks at all at WDW. Clueless people? Oh, God, yes. Jerks? Not really.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #25
blueviper
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I like your approach. I won’t do that while sitting on a heavy metal object, but it is tempting to own the “Why should I be the one to stop or move” posture. So much more phone reading this trip. MDE and instagram.

Dirk
I’m glad you brought up the restraint when on a heavy metal object (Thank you!!) Being a parent of a 16 month old and 3 year old, who both love to run around in amazement at WDW and DL, I get terrified of motorized scooters. Regardless of who is wrong, those machine can easily break/tear a leg of a little kid who decides to run, and/or a driver who doesn’t pay attention. In either case, the kid can get more hurt than via running into a wheelchair or push stroller.

Even when I am holding their hand, I am constantly looking behind me to make sure no motorized scooter might clip her little legs and ankles.

The engine, weight, and no automatic breaking system is what concerns me.

Dom

I am lucky enough to have an amazing family that loves Disney as much as I do (if not more)!
blueviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #26
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Sorry your family had to go through that.

In regards to bro's statement, I stop dead all the time. I, too, get annoyed by people not paying attention or hogging an entire walkway. They wake up quickly! ��
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:32 PM   #27
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

Agree that the young adult should have apologized and his mommy shouldn't have had to do it...pathetic.

ME Nicole ,DH , DS24 : , DD22 , DD14
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:41 PM   #28
sawickipedia
One Bedroom

So glad the mom at least said something and saved the night from being ruined.

My dad lost use of his feet recently due to a horrifically gone bad herniated disc and so next year he will be on a scooter at WDW for the first time. It will be interesting to see him experience Disney that way for the first time.
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 04:45 PM   #29
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by huchowsj View Post
Sorry for the long intro, but its needed to establish the story...

Well, we just got back from a great trip to disney prior to the school year starting. We attended our first DVC Moonlight Magic event over at Animal Kingdom and had a great time up until the bus ride back to Old Key West. So unfortunately my wife broke her leg 4 weeks before the trip so she was confined to a scooter with crutches mounted to the back and an air cast on. We ended up heading back for the bus early due to young kids 4 and 7 and unfortunately if my 4 year old goes down for the count, I'm stuck trying to handle him and his stroller/wheel chair. We arrived at the bus terminal with the bus at the gate...perfect timing....unfortunately due to my wives scooter the bus was full and we had to wait until the next one arrived. After about half an hour the next bus arrives and the queue line is now full. A woman with a motorized wheelchair arrived and she told her husband that they may be awhile due to my wives scooter and my sons wheelchair/stroller. When the bus arrived, I managed to wake him up and get him to stand for a moment so I could collapse his stroller. The woman with the power wheel chair went on first followed by my wife. Well the driver was strapping them in and I was waiting outside with my kids our Guests Behaving Badly incident occurred.

While carrying a four year old that's asleep on my shoulder in my left arm and a collapsed stroller/wheelchair in my right arm and at the same time watching my 7 year old daughter in comes our guest. The guest is in the queue line and begins to blast the wheelchairs and scooters getting on the bus. He saying things like "come on, just get there. We should all be on the bus" followed by statements making fun of the woman in the wheelchair and my wife. I apologize to the readers but its been several long days and I don't recall the exact statements used. At this time, I turned and saw him in his blue sleeveless shirt with a bad splotchy attempt at growing a beard appearing to be 17 to 20 ish years old. I told him not to be a jerk and to stop insulting people with disabilities. At this time the bus driver advised that it was safe to enter and myself and kids did.

Once inside and seated as the bus was loading, our brave soul entered the bus and couldn't even make eye contact or look in my direction. His mother approached me and apologized profusely for her sons actions and she stated he was just being a "really dumb kid". I accepted her apology and of course my daughter had to ask what happened. So I informed her that the woman's son, had said some inappropriate things about mommy and the other lady in a wheelchair and she was apologizing for her sons actions. I also told my daughter that it takes a brave person to apologize for there actions and we should accept someones heartfelt sincere apology.

I could only hope that this mother disciplines her child/young man/man one-one hundredth of the way my parents would have disciplined me if I even thought of making fun of a disabled person.
Most everything has been said, but I just want to add that I just returned from an 8 day trip, and not once was there a negative word. I'm mobility challenged and use an ECV. Both guests as well as CMs were incredibly kind and offerring to help. It even got to a point where I stopped next to a rocking chair one day and a woman came running over, "Are you OK? Is there anything I can do to help you?" Hopefully, that's the kind of experience everyone will have-overly helpful people, not rude!
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote