home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-20-2019, 04:18 PM   #31
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
ok - i don't really understand what you're saying. but i don't care enough to ask for more details. i expect this was simply another of those "went into holding" for a short period and was worked out quickly. i also expect you suffered no loss of any kind. if i'm wrong and you got burned, please expain.

of all the things owners need to worry about, this certainly isn't high on my list.
It was not. I understand the difference but you aren't accepting that it's different than your belief. Either you accept my report that it is different or decide I don't have any idea what I am talking about since you haven't happened to have it happen to you. No worry to me either way as I was providing the info as a not for people to realize they might need to get points corrected - it isn't always done the correct way such as you have described and the front desk CM's do have access to your account points to take more or use different points.
Old 08-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #32
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
It was not. I understand the difference but you aren't accepting that it's different than your belief. Either you accept my report that it is different or decide I don't have any idea what I am talking about since you haven't happened to have it happen to you. No worry to me either way as I was providing the info as a not for people to realize they might need to get points corrected - it isn't always done the correct way such as you have described and the front desk CM's do have access to your account points to take more or use different points.

geez, chill.

they made an error and you lost no money or points.

this isn't a big deal.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #33
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
please provide the sources of these "stories." i don't believe this has ever happened.
I really haven’t the time to trawl three years worth of posts on forums to find the specific instances. Suffice to say I have seen posts on the DIS where every once in a while this kind of thing will happen.

Sometimes when an actual renter asked “if there was a better view” and got upgraded. Other times family members did the same, just as Goofygirl posted above.

Of course it shouldn’t happen. But every so often things happen that shouldn’t. As long as MS put them right, then all’s well in the end.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:14 PM   #34
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
I really haven’t the time to trawl three years worth of posts on forums to find the specific instances. Suffice to say I have seen posts on the DIS where every once in a while this kind of thing will happen.

Sometimes when an actual renter asked “if there was a better view” and got upgraded. Other times family members did the same, just as Goofygirl posted above.

Of course it shouldn’t happen. But every so often things happen that shouldn’t. As long as MS put them right, then all’s well in the end.

lots of smoke, no fire. no points lost, no money lost. this isn't a problem for owners.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #35
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
i have never had this happen in over 10 years. front desk does not and cannot take additional points from owner's account.

the time in holding was very short, a week or so.
I don’t know if the front desk at the resort checked ownership, but they definitely took points from my account once.

We needed to stay an extra night. My daughter got sick and didn’t feel able to travel. I requested this at the front desk. After an hour or so, the front desk called to say we could stay and asked which contract I wanted to use. We were very grateful that the whole thing was handled so painlessly.

Yes, I was the owner staying on my own points. That may have made the difference. My understanding was that the front desk had access to my points via a CM computer program.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #36
reblzmom
Grand Villa

I had a couple of instances of asking at the front desk to change the room and each time they picked up the phone and called MS. This was at BWV.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #37
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
100% they do not verify ownership - or perhaps some do but definitely not all. My niece got a change to her reservation. I knew about it so it wasn't a surprise when I had to get MS to finally fix the points (the CM I frequently talk to was pretty unhappy the hotel had done it) but it was no different than a "renter" making a change.
So, I just want to clarify - it is possible for the name on the reservation, whether owner or not, request and received a modification (such as an upgrade) that costs more points, which are then taken out of the owner’s account without the owner’s knowledge?

Yeesh. That is a huge loophole if true. I’d still be uneasy if the change cost the same or less point (which were then refunded) but at least the owner isn’t hurt that way.

So, what would prevent an AKV standard view renter from asking for and receiving a Savannah view upgrade that is paid for by the owner’s points without the owner’s knowledge? Since Disney would be liable, I would expect them to close that loophole or train their front desk CMs.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #38
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
So, I just want to clarify - it is possible for the name on the reservation, whether owner or not, request and received a modification (such as an upgrade) that costs more points, which are then taken out of the owner’s account without the owner’s knowledge?

Yeesh. That is a huge loophole if true. I’d still be uneasy if the change cost the same or less point (which were then refunded) but at least the owner isn’t hurt that way.

So, what would prevent an AKV standard view renter from asking for and receiving a Savannah view upgrade that is paid for by the owner’s points without the owner’s knowledge? Since Disney would be liable, I would expect them to close that loophole or train their front desk CMs.

Dirk
In my opinion if you check the box “this person is not owner” you have ground to ask for point refund if front desk made a mistake.

Not all front desk people are “bright” to check the identity of the person at the front desk and this can happen. I do not remember if they checked my ID or not when I requested extra nights due to flight cancellation but do remember them mentioning a manager in back room who has to make a point reservation.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 09:51 AM   #39
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

A few times I have asked for either a bigger villa (like had a studio and asked if they had 1BR available and I was willing to hand over the extra points) or to extend our stay (again willing to pay the extra points) and EVERY time I was told they had no DVC access at the desk and told me to call MS or go online...myself. I only went to desk to ask because I knew nothing was available online and I was hoping they'd be able to pull something over, maybe from CRO inventory. Most recent was at Poly in Jan of 2018 (race weekend) when there was snow expected on our drive home north. He wouldn't look at any DVC availability for me at all (but I had looked online and saw NONE but was hoping to stay in our Poly room with some sort of magic) but he did call his buddie at All Stars Sports and had availabiliity there to which we declined and I went on Disney site and booked CSR myself (one of the last rooms available at WDW via online booking). And I am the owner of DVC and still they would never even admit to being able to look at DVC inventory.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 10:23 AM   #40
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

thread has reached goober status