home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-06-2019, 06:49 PM   #1
Syndrome
Grand Villa

Default Dipping a toe in the water , first timers !

Well I guess it was inevitable - that we give cruising a try .
We are non-cruisers , never, nada , zip ........ so this will be our "Sea Trial" so to speak - 1st time!
Just sold an HHI DVC contract, splurged a little , and after some research , decided to jump on a short cruise itinerary , just to test the waters to see if its for us .
Here is what we decided on ................YES , of course its a Disney cruise for our first time !
3 night Double dip Castaway Cay on the Fantasy .
Leave Port Canaveral , 2 consecutive days at Castaway Cay , back to Port Canaveral . Friday -Monday , 3 nights .
Was crazy confused about staterooms, but we KNEW we wanted ......no, NEEDED a verandah , as we are mildly claustrophobic . Had to be a lower stateroom as we are mildly height sensitive as well . Decided on a 5E aft facing veradah room on deck 6 .....why ? For us, it has an oversized verandah , lower floor , sloping rear of the ship off the verandah , so we wont have the "edge" feeling like a side verandah . Verandah is fairly private . Stateroom looks great with the split bath. Close enough to everything important to us , except the "adult" pool areas . The ships back into Castaway Cay , so the views coming and going must look awesome from the aft. I dont know .......it just "felt" right .

Ok, cruise pro's ,how did we do for a Stateroom choice ? Its not too late, we can change if needed . But it seems like a great fit , price seems pretty good and location seems nice from the deck plans - nothing above or below except other staterooms. BTW, we picked the 5E and have our stateroom # on the reservation , its not a VGT . Didn't want to chance it the first go around !
I have heard about some minor vibration issues in the aft , and possible soot from the exhaust ......mostly on the high deck aft staterooms though .

This is a first for us on the Fantasy ......well, first cruise all-together !
Any tips from that would be helpful for first time cruisers on the Fantasy anyone would like to share ? Anyone care to field a few question if I have any .......likely a bunch , as we are clueless about this !

Thanks all !

Last edited by Syndrome; 09-06-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #2
disneyteach
Grand Villa

We went on our first Disney cruise this past April. It was absolutely wonderful! We did 4 nights on the Dream. I would totally do an itinerary like yours. I would definitely prefer 2 Castaway Cay days over a stop in Nassau. I can't speak to your room choice since it's a different ship, but we did have an oversized verandah on deck 5 (cat 4e) and I wouldn't do it any other way. I can't imagine NOT having a verandah. It was so nice to just hang out and read or just enjoy the scenery. It made the room feel bigger. As far as ship movement, we were in forward, but I barely felt anything. I did wear the nausea dot things behind my ears because I do get motion sickness and I didn't want to chance it. We did a RCL cruise several years ago and we had an inside stateroom and I felt wayyyy more movement then. Enjoy, you won't regret it! There is truly nothing like Disney. My parents just did a Princess cruise in Alaska, and while the scenery was completely different, they said the cruise itself did not at all compare to Disney!
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:08 PM   #3
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

I wouldn’t worry about the room at all. On a 3 day cruise you will have little time to actually be in your room. We did a 3 day Disney Cruise as our first cruise and did not care for it too much. Too rushed. Not enough time to relax. We also had rough seas which did not help. The other cruse we have done was a 7 day Princess Alaska cruise which was great. However I don’t think we are cruisers and are in no hurry to do another one.
Old 09-06-2019, 08:50 PM   #4
Syndrome
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyteach View Post
We went on our first Disney cruise this past April. It was absolutely wonderful! We did 4 nights on the Dream. I would totally do an itinerary like yours. I would definitely prefer 2 Castaway Cay days over a stop in Nassau. I can't speak to your room choice since it's a different ship, but we did have an oversized verandah on deck 5 (cat 4e) and I wouldn't do it any other way. I can't imagine NOT having a verandah. It was so nice to just hang out and read or just enjoy the scenery. It made the room feel bigger. As far as ship movement, we were in forward, but I barely felt anything. I did wear the nausea dot things behind my ears because I do get motion sickness and I didn't want to chance it. We did a RCL cruise several years ago and we had an inside stateroom and I felt wayyyy more movement then. Enjoy, you won't regret it! There is truly nothing like Disney. My parents just did a Princess cruise in Alaska, and while the scenery was completely different, they said the cruise itself did not at all compare to Disney!
Thanks, we are not into the tourist trap "ports of call" , at least for our first cruise , so figured we would play it a little safer and "just" go to Castaway Cay , lol .
Yea, we figured if we were going to give this cruising thing a fair shot , there was no way we going to go for an inner stateroom .

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1000monkeys View Post
I wouldn’t worry about the room at all. On a 3 day cruise you will have little time to actually be in your room. We did a 3 day Disney Cruise as our first cruise and did not care for it too much. Too rushed. Not enough time to relax. We also had rough seas which did not help. The other cruse we have done was a 7 day Princess Alaska cruise which was great. However I don’t think we are cruisers and are in no hurry to do another one.
Yes, agreed , the 3 night cruise seems a little short , but its a safe bet for our first time. If we like it, we can go for longer cruises later ........if we dont , its only 3 nights , and we are OFF ! lol
Its ALL castaway cay, and the ship , so it will be 50/50 and we should have plenty of time to enjoy our Veranda and room . Who needs sleep !

Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 09:00 PM   #5
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Our first cruise was an incentive offered 2009 as a DVC incentive. I am prone to motion sickness on boats so everyone said to select a cabin in the boat bottom towards the middle. I have a bit of claustrophobia so an inside cabin wasn't even an option. I read all this negative reviews on Nassau so we didn't even try and get off. We completely missed the auto tipping for beverages so all the bartenders/beverage servers loved us. The food was overwhelming or non-existent (which just meant that we didn't understand QS options or room service). We were new to DVC and forums so we just didn't know enough. We enjoyed it but weren't blown away - it was so 'unknown'.

So I learned more, read more forums, read lots of TR's and 3 years later I was ready to try again. Talked my husband into another cruise. Our Sunny Days TA, Linda, talked me into a cabin on the back of the boat = wonderful advice. We disembarked at Nassau to explore Atlantis. We stayed on the family beach at Castaway Key, which we enjoyed so much. We had such a good time that we've enjoyed 3 more cruises and have one booked for 2020.

We started out thinking cruising wasn't our 'thing' and now we will probably enjoy them every other year. We proactively take the 24h non-drowsy Dramamine but usually stop it day 2. I stayed away from patches, bands, etc. because of the alcohol inter-action. So enjoy - and don't worry about motion sickness because it has not been a problem ever.

Last edited by bakerworld; 09-06-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: additional thoughts
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:37 PM   #6
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Sounds great. Enjoy!

For the record, even all of my inside staterooms have been excellent, so I’m sure you’ll be just fine.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 11:25 PM   #7
N C State Tigger
Studio

We love, love, love the 5E cabins on the Fantasy. Have one booked for our cruise this December.
Some folks are bothered by vibrations in the aft when the ship is docking. Never been bad enough to bother us. You might check for cabin reviews for your selected cabin. I believe the ship flag is flown from deck 5 or 6 when the ship is in port from the area between the center aft cabins. Would not want the flag to interfere with the beautiful views from the your cabin.
Have a great time!! If you find you enjoy cruising, be sure to take advantage of perks for booking your next cruise while on board.

Last edited by N C State Tigger; 09-06-2019 at 11:31 PM.
N C State Tigger is offline   Reply With Quote