home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-03-2020, 01:02 AM   #91
sawickipedia
Two Bedroom

Our First Day of DHS RotR 2.5 hour adventure needs its own commentary!

First off - we were a few minutes behind schedule and arrived at the parking lot about 945a (vs our target 930a - doh!) with already a line of people out from the temperature check tents to the tram turn (where it make the L shaped/left hand turn). Meaning there was already a crap ton of people trying to get into the park! This was really the only time that social distancing broke down at the parks. The line was way beyond the staff's expectation and as people lined up - they lined up like pre-Covid. About halfway in line, there was a CM getting people to space out. But there was a already a large group basically person to person.

Which gets to the point I have made in my other comments about DHS and RotR - Disney needs to change the VQ time to NOT be at Rope Drop or not require being at the park and just having a park pass reservation for that day. The current approach just forces the whole entire day's crowed to be in the queue and in DHS right at 10a. Either not require someone to be checked into DHS or delay the VQ time by say 30 minutes. This is a mess. And given what a good job Disney is doing in the parks otherwise - there really is no reason for them to miss this current blind spot (which isn't the only one see comments on the Emporium and World of Disney).

Anyway - with the temperature check line, then bag check, and then the scanners - I knew it was going to be close. And close it was. I made it to the magicband scanner at 958a - phew I thought - just in time!

Except NOT.

My magicband wasn't working! Somehow it worked on my room and was showing active in my MDE account but no go. The CM called her supervisor over and she tried to check me in using her iPad but no go. Which meant off to Guest Relations.

And that meant "NO VQ for YOU!"

I was pissed and annoyed and might have dropped an F bomb or two. Because the whole point of racing over to DHS and fighting the crowds was to get into RotR. And given what we had been hearing about the 2p Boarding Groups & the iffy status of those groups getting into the ride - we figured it was a lost cause.

So I trudged over to the Guest Relations line and muttered another F-bomb to myself - to which the person in front of me said "hell yeah!" We both laughed.

So the waiting game began and it went on and on and on. 35 minutes later I was to the front of the line. It turns out my magicband was somehow marked as both active and lost meaning it was in status that shouldn't ever happen (you aren't supposed to be able to have an active magicband that is marked lost). Back the CM went to the back room to have my magicband checked. A few minutes later she returned with my magicband fixed and I was free to enter the park and track down my family.

Fast forward to 2p and we are huddling just past Star Tours on the way to Muppets 3D counting down to 2p - another family stopped to to try the VQ as well. 2p hits and success! We have a backup boarding group #67. In pre-Covid times, 67 would have been a no-brainer with group #'s often getting past 100 for a day. But in this day and age - 67 was a coin flip we figured.

Also when you have a backup boarding group - MDE won't tell you the current group # so you have to stalk the ride signs to see where things were. Not sure why Disney wouldn't make the boarding group #'s more public in the app.

We enter Muppets 3D and emerge to a torrential downpour! Epic summer T-Storm is rolling through. We decided to wander over to TSM w/ it's dry indoor ride and no wait. We hit TSM and do it twice to avoid the rain. And when we finally decide to leave - we get the notice that our boarding group is being called - a total surprise!

We had noticed the ride going up and down all day so we were psyched we were called given ride downtime = small # of boarding groups. And it meant the ride was working again! So we made our way over to RotR - got scanned and went into the ride. Well we made it about 2/3rd of the way thru the indoor queue when just our luck - the ride was down again! (we were in the switch backs just before you get into the rooms w/ the uniforms, weapons and map screens).

Since leaving the ride would give up our spots - we decided to wait. And wait. And wait. This the second of three times riding the ride that it has gone down while we were in the queue and went down when we are basically the EXACT same spot as in February! What a coincidence!

After 40 minutes, the ride was *finally* back up and off we went. Thru the Rey scene, the shuttle ride and then onto the Interrogation. We were rescued by the Resistance and jumped into the transport vehicles. And then just as we were supposed to motor on out, nothing. We sit. And we sit. And the music stops and the background stops. Over the PA comes the ominous - we are sorry for the delays, we hope to have the ride back up momentarily announcements. After about 5 minutes - the CMs tell us the ride is back up and away we go!

We're now over an hour into the ride which means it's now closing in on 6p - one hour before closing. We're hoping to get into the MMRR queue before closing. Our hopes would soon to be dashed however!

The transports race through the ride - we sort of get thru the AT-AT walkers - we're racing to escape - we get confronted by Kylo and just as he is trying to cut into our room w/ his lightsaber - like the sound of Ben Kenobi turning off the tractor beam in Ep 4 - the sound dies and the ride stops. And the dreaded we are sorry the ride is temporarily down and to remain in our ride cars.

And we wait - after 10 minutes the ride evacuation announcement comes over the PA system and we're bummed. Oh well - today given the earlier magicband incident clearly was just meant to be that day! Thank god we already done the ride back during Feb break just before Covid shut the parks down.

We wait and are finally rescued by a CM who tells us we'll get a RotR Fastpass good for our stay to make up for the ride crashing. She then leads us down the back halls of the ride (very boring - just plain grey hallways), down the stairs and we emerge back in the spaceship bay with all the Stormtroopers. And then the CMs have us wait - they are going to try and get the ride backup one more time before letting us go (unless we want to leave but given we're 1.5 hours into this what do we have to lose at this point).

While we wait, everyone in their group is taking pictures w/ the stormtroopers in the bay. Looking around and noticing the INSANE amount of detail in that area. Seriously you don't normally get much time here in the ride but Disney really went and above and beyond here. It is just amazing and it certainly kept us occupied while we waited.

And then finally 20-30 minutes later - the CMs announce we are going to get to go back and finish the ride! wOot! Except we are going to restart at the Interrogation vs returning to where our vehicles had gotten stuck. So back into the queue we go. And finally we get through the ride! Phew!

We get to the end and walk out of the ride at 7:05p - 2 hours and 40 minutes later. Thank god this is a hall of fame worthy ride!

What a day and what a ride!

OK here are some pics

Waiting for the re-start (pre-Evac)

The Broken Down Droid (not really the whole ride was offline)

The Evac

Round 2 of the Docking Bay while waiting to resume (aka 1.5 hours into the ride) - note the folks waiting on the railing normally a do not touch area - also every Stormtrooper in the first row moves and moves differently than all the other ones! Very cool.

Selfie w/ the Stormtroopers

Bored Fam

The moving Stormtroopers (not moving in a pic of course)

Menacing Storm Troopers pre-Interrogation Round 2

sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:50 AM   #92
melk
Grand Villa

Wow, what an ordeal for ROTR. At least you had been on it before. I donít know how I would have felt if it was my first experience, it would be so fragmented. Really hoping they get this ride buckled down by the time we ever get back.

Great pictures!
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:52 AM   #93
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Iíve lost track now...I hope you were able to ride MMRR.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:23 AM   #94
zafiro
Grand Villa

Nice!!!
zafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:18 AM   #95
Eeyorelover22
Grand Villa

Thinking about RotR. DHS might have been a park that benefited from a staggered entry time with the park passes and then still using the BG in some manner.

Your suggestions of having a park reservation and making a BG without being there at 10 am is a good suggestion. The morning entry was stressful pre-covid. I'm not sure I'm up for that again.

They could even do a "day before lottery" for people who wanted to ride it with the ones who had a park pass. They did it with the merchandise online so why couldn't they do that for RotR? It's still a lottery now, but with crowds.

They need to figure it out though...not good PR that's for sure.
Eeyorelover22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #96
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickipedia View Post
Our First Day of DHS RotR 2.5 hour adventure needs its own commentary!

First off - we were a few minutes behind schedule and arrived at the parking lot about 945a (vs our target 930a - doh!) with already a line of people out from the temperature check tents to the tram turn (where it make the L shaped/left hand turn). Meaning there was already a crap ton of people trying to get into the park! This was really the only time that social distancing broke down at the parks. The line was way beyond the staff's expectation and as people lined up - they lined up like pre-Covid. About halfway in line, there was a CM getting people to space out. But there was a already a large group basically person to person.

Which gets to the point I have made in my other comments about DHS and RotR - Disney needs to change the VQ time to NOT be at Rope Drop or not require being at the park and just having a park pass reservation for that day. The current approach just forces the whole entire day's crowed to be in the queue and in DHS right at 10a. Either not require someone to be checked into DHS or delay the VQ time by say 30 minutes. This is a mess. And given what a good job Disney is doing in the parks otherwise - there really is no reason for them to miss this current blind spot (which isn't the only one see comments on the Emporium and World of Disney).

Anyway - with the temperature check line, then bag check, and then the scanners - I knew it was going to be close. And close it was. I made it to the magicband scanner at 958a - phew I thought - just in time!

Except NOT.

My magicband wasn't working! Somehow it worked on my room and was showing active in my MDE account but no go. The CM called her supervisor over and she tried to check me in using her iPad but no go. Which meant off to Guest Relations.

And that meant "NO VQ for YOU!"

I was pissed and annoyed and might have dropped an F bomb or two. Because the whole point of racing over to DHS and fighting the crowds was to get into RotR. And given what we had been hearing about the 2p Boarding Groups & the iffy status of those groups getting into the ride - we figured it was a lost cause.

So I trudged over to the Guest Relations line and muttered another F-bomb to myself - to which the person in front of me said "hell yeah!" We both laughed.

So the waiting game began and it went on and on and on. 35 minutes later I was to the front of the line. It turns out my magicband was somehow marked as both active and lost meaning it was in status that shouldn't ever happen (you aren't supposed to be able to have an active magicband that is marked lost). Back the CM went to the back room to have my magicband checked. A few minutes later she returned with my magicband fixed and I was free to enter the park and track down my family.

Fast forward to 2p and we are huddling just past Star Tours on the way to Muppets 3D counting down to 2p - another family stopped to to try the VQ as well. 2p hits and success! We have a backup boarding group #67. In pre-Covid times, 67 would have been a no-brainer with group #'s often getting past 100 for a day. But in this day and age - 67 was a coin flip we figured.

Also when you have a backup boarding group - MDE won't tell you the current group # so you have to stalk the ride signs to see where things were. Not sure why Disney wouldn't make the boarding group #'s more public in the app.

We enter Muppets 3D and emerge to a torrential downpour! Epic summer T-Storm is rolling through. We decided to wander over to TSM w/ it's dry indoor ride and no wait. We hit TSM and do it twice to avoid the rain. And when we finally decide to leave - we get the notice that our boarding group is being called - a total surprise!

We had noticed the ride going up and down all day so we were psyched we were called given ride downtime = small # of boarding groups. And it meant the ride was working again! So we made our way over to RotR - got scanned and went into the ride. Well we made it about 2/3rd of the way thru the indoor queue when just our luck - the ride was down again! (we were in the switch backs just before you get into the rooms w/ the uniforms, weapons and map screens).

Since leaving the ride would give up our spots - we decided to wait. And wait. And wait. This the second of three times riding the ride that it has gone down while we were in the queue and went down when we are basically the EXACT same spot as in February! What a coincidence!

After 40 minutes, the ride was *finally* back up and off we went. Thru the Rey scene, the shuttle ride and then onto the Interrogation. We were rescued by the Resistance and jumped into the transport vehicles. And then just as we were supposed to motor on out, nothing. We sit. And we sit. And the music stops and the background stops. Over the PA comes the ominous - we are sorry for the delays, we hope to have the ride back up momentarily announcements. After about 5 minutes - the CMs tell us the ride is back up and away we go!

We're now over an hour into the ride which means it's now closing in on 6p - one hour before closing. We're hoping to get into the MMRR queue before closing. Our hopes would soon to be dashed however!

The transports race through the ride - we sort of get thru the AT-AT walkers - we're racing to escape - we get confronted by Kylo and just as he is trying to cut into our room w/ his lightsaber - like the sound of Ben Kenobi turning off the tractor beam in Ep 4 - the sound dies and the ride stops. And the dreaded we are sorry the ride is temporarily down and to remain in our ride cars.

And we wait - after 10 minutes the ride evacuation announcement comes over the PA system and we're bummed. Oh well - today given the earlier magicband incident clearly was just meant to be that day! Thank god we already done the ride back during Feb break just before Covid shut the parks down.

We wait and are finally rescued by a CM who tells us we'll get a RotR Fastpass good for our stay to make up for the ride crashing. She then leads us down the back halls of the ride (very boring - just plain grey hallways), down the stairs and we emerge back in the spaceship bay with all the Stormtroopers. And then the CMs have us wait - they are going to try and get the ride backup one more time before letting us go (unless we want to leave but given we're 1.5 hours into this what do we have to lose at this point).

While we wait, everyone in their group is taking pictures w/ the stormtroopers in the bay. Looking around and noticing the INSANE amount of detail in that area. Seriously you don't normally get much time here in the ride but Disney really went and above and beyond here. It is just amazing and it certainly kept us occupied while we waited.

And then finally 20-30 minutes later - the CMs announce we are going to get to go back and finish the ride! wOot! Except we are going to restart at the Interrogation vs returning to where our vehicles had gotten stuck. So back into the queue we go. And finally we get through the ride! Phew!

We get to the end and walk out of the ride at 7:05p - 2 hours and 40 minutes later. Thank god this is a hall of fame worthy ride!

What a day and what a ride!

OK here are some pics

Waiting for the re-start (pre-Evac)

The Broken Down Droid (not really the whole ride was offline)

The Evac

Round 2 of the Docking Bay while waiting to resume (aka 1.5 hours into the ride) - note the folks waiting on the railing normally a do not touch area - also every Stormtrooper in the first row moves and moves differently than all the other ones! Very cool.

Selfie w/ the Stormtroopers

Bored Fam

The moving Stormtroopers (not moving in a pic of course)

Menacing Storm Troopers pre-Interrogation Round 2

Wow! Great story.

I donít think itís a hall of fame worthy ride. We have ridden it about 10x at disneyland and itís fun, but itís replay value is limited and loses a lot of luster. Plus, it has a lot of malfunctions that arenít being worked out. I like it, but itís more of a second tier ride experience.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:42 PM   #97
sawickipedia
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsNiners11 View Post
Wow! Great story.

I donít think itís a hall of fame worthy ride. We have ridden it about 10x at disneyland and itís fun, but itís replay value is limited and loses a lot of luster. Plus, it has a lot of malfunctions that arenít being worked out. I like it, but itís more of a second tier ride experience.
A CM reminded us that when FoP opened it too had a run of outages and issues. But yeah it seems odd that RotR has all these trackless ride issues whereas MMRR does not.

RotR as a repeat ride meaning 100x might lose some value BUT for rides 1-5x it's definitely HoF. The set value is unsurpassed especially in this day and age of VR simulator rides.
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 05:51 PM   #98
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickipedia View Post
A CM reminded us that when FoP opened it too had a run of outages and issues. But yeah it seems odd that RotR has all these trackless ride issues whereas MMRR does not.

RotR as a repeat ride meaning 100x might lose some value BUT for rides 1-5x it's definitely HoF. The set value is unsurpassed especially in this day and age of VR simulator rides.
It's just a B+ for us. It's no Haunted Mansion (either) or Pirates Disneyland and those rides are old.

The most innovative ride I've ever been on is Shanghai Disneyland's Pirates: Battle for the Sunken Treasure. That blew away Rise of the Resistance and was always working. I really wish Disney had brought that level to ROTR in terms of a good blending of tech/set and immersion. ROTR needed a bit more thrill too imho. Even Star Tours is arguably sometimes a better experience depending on the mood you're in. Still fun and I'd always ride it given the chance of course! Don't get me started on Millennium Falcon: Smuggler's Run....a true C+ effort there.

I also think about how clever Tokyo DisneySea's Tower of Terror is and how important story is to an attraction. I'm just not sold on the ROTR storyline full immersion and Kylo Ren's animatronic appearances are just not that convincing/interesting to me. I'm not trying to nitpick...I've just seen Disney do better both decades ago and recently.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:10 PM   #99
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Thank you So much for sharing all the fun and pictures! Loved the TR, and everyone looks so happy, even with masks! . Glad y'all made the trip and had great times.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #100
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Disney View Post
Here now, and 1/2 way through my trip. Had to fly from PA. Will do a TR of my thoughts, but will give you my quick opinion for now:

GO: If you go once a year or more, then itís a great time so far. Short lines, more time at the pool, you can do the park easily in less than one day.

DONíT GO: You are only going once every two years or more then I will say donít and wait for the full experience. Masks make it not as much fun, not good for pictures. More limited dining options so if you are looking for specific restaurants or something else special you possibly donít get that. Obviously no parades or fireworks at the end which for me is a big deal missing. You also miss stage shows which add to the park. Finally one last big thing which I only miss now that I am here, parks at night after dark. The ambiance after sunset is something you cannot get now.

Especially with the Summer weather -- night time is so much more enjoyable...but that's not even possible right now.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote