home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-11-2020, 11:07 AM   #71
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
From what I could see about the future, Epcot 2.0 looks somewhat more like what EPCOT. More parks, water features...more of an Environment than a Theme Park in places. At least that was my take.

Cheers.
It looks less like EPCOT to me in terms of attraction offerings. IMO, The Land is probably the only pavilion true to EPCOT, with Seas, Test Track, and Mission:Space maybe an approximation. Imagination is an embarrassment with zero signs of improvement less than half a decade out, and I have no clue what Guardians is other than an MK or DHS attraction.

Not to mention Frozen in Norway . . . I don't mind Ratatouille in France because there is legitimate cultural introductions via Impressions de France.

EPCOT as constructed preserved Walt's fascination with the future and what could be. Epcot 2.0 comes down to "Let's just celebrate things. Oh, and characters!"

I'm sure it will be fun. I'm not sure why we need a separate park for what's coming, other than to have the ability to charge a $120 cover charge for food booths.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:14 AM   #72
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Now that makes a lot of sense! There is no reason why that can't happen; there is no time window on doing so. If they re-did Maelstrom with new IP, there's no reason they can't do the same with the Mexico ride -- I'd use its name but no one remembers it by name -- I had to look it up!
Probably because in terms of age, the Mexico ride is low on the list. It was redone in 2007 after being El Rio del Tiempo for 25 years. It's simply not *that* dated.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:25 PM   #73
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
It looks less like EPCOT to me in terms of attraction offerings. IMO, The Land is probably the only pavilion true to EPCOT, with Seas, Test Track, and Mission:Space maybe an approximation. Imagination is an embarrassment with zero signs of improvement less than half a decade out, and I have no clue what Guardians is other than an MK or DHS attraction.

Not to mention Frozen in Norway . . . I don't mind Ratatouille in France because there is legitimate cultural introductions via Impressions de France.

EPCOT as constructed preserved Walt's fascination with the future and what could be. Epcot 2.0 comes down to "Let's just celebrate things. Oh, and characters!"
I was thinking more about FW and not about World Showcase at all. That was not in the EPCOT plan, but showed up in Epcot. The view I saw of the changes in the central part of FW looked like raised platforms, parks, water features, seating areas - like a sort of urban park that one might find in a future city with the modern buildings all around. To me that looks like EPCOT. But I agree that the attractions themselves don't really match. I'm still looking forward to it and we'll see how it flows together when completed.

Cheers.
Old 01-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #74
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
I was thinking more about FW and not about World Showcase at all. That was not in the EPCOT plan, but showed up in Epcot. The view I saw of the changes in the central part of FW looked like raised platforms, parks, water features, seating areas - like a sort of urban park that one might find in a future city with the modern buildings all around. To me that looks like EPCOT. But I agree that the attractions themselves don't really match. I'm still looking forward to it and we'll see how it flows together when completed.

Cheers.
EPCOT was EPCOT when it opened in 1982, FW and World Showcase together. It just wasn't Walt's EPCOT! In the '90s, it was re-branded Epcot, from acronym to word. I believe they are supposed to move back to EPCOT as a part of the overhaul. Nice, but I think that's more fan-service than intent. Maybe not.

I'm certain I will like EPCOT 2.0 and I have no doubt the visuals will be fine. I'm not certain it will be in any sense EPCOT 1.0 or Epcot 1.0, thus my comments about a park in search of a mission beyond festivals and characters.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:07 PM   #75
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
EPCOT was EPCOT when it opened in 1982, FW and World Showcase together. It just wasn't Walt's EPCOT! In the '90s, it was re-branded Epcot, from acronym to word. I believe they are supposed to move back to EPCOT as a part of the overhaul. Nice, but I think that's more fan-service than intent. Maybe not.
As far as I'm concerned, it was Epcot when it opened, despite the branding. It was simply not EPCOT in anything more than name. We shall see what it becomes.

Cheers.
Old 01-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #76
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned, it was Epcot when it opened, despite the branding. It was simply not EPCOT in anything more than name. We shall see what it becomes.

Cheers.
Pretty true! There were some modern things for communities in innoventions but even then the original EPCOT was not what was built.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:38 PM   #77
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
It kills me. Just thinking of having to put the dog to sleep tears me up.
It sucks. Hurts like hell every time, no matter how many times we go through it. /hug.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:46 PM   #78
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
If they re-did Maelstrom with new IP, there's no reason they can't do the same with the Mexico ride -- I'd use its name but no one remembers it by name -- I had to look it up!
Veto! I veto this plan. In part because I love the three caballeros. But more selfishly, because there is usually no line for one of my favorite rides. I know Coco is no Frozen, but it would still jack up the lines.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:23 PM   #79
PirateLinda
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Unfortunately I do believe you may be further disappointed with the new offering this year of HarmonioUS. It sounds like the incorporation of more Disney music is exactly what is planned. Hence, the ending of Epcot Forever with A Whole New World was supposed to indicate the “future” of Epcot while the rest of the show focused on its past.

That said, other preview videos made it a point to emphasize the effort being put into the creation of an original score as well.
They could have skipped the preview of the future and at least let us remember and enjoy the past for a bit. JMHO.

Upcoming Trips:
11/14 - 11/20 OKW
3/21 - 3/26 Kidani
PirateLinda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:20 PM   #80
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
It just wasn't Walt's EPCOT!
There's a reasonable argument that "Walt's EPCOT" was a scam Walt created to bamboozle the Florida legislature into creating RCID. Perhaps because he wanted to build with less government interference. Or maybe because he really did want his own nuclear power plant.