home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Question of the Month
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2018, 11:13 AM   #41
pdude81
Grand Villa

I don't think it's really worth it to them to make that change. There aren't any big gains in the overall number of people traveling to disney, just a lot of DVC people want to go at that time. Honestly a good chunk of them are walking for the end of the year anyway, which throws the early part of the month into chaos.

What I would like to see are some restrictions on (but not elimination of) walking. Members could only extend a reservation say 2 twice to get it farther into the 11 month window at their home resort or the 7 month window at another resort, with cast members being able to accommodate special requests if the member has a legitimate reason why they need to break the cap. Obviously walking would still happen, but only concentrated around high demand periods. At this point you have to spend an hour a day watching which rooms open back up after a week to figure out how to book in the future due to phantom demand.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #42
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I for one think they should (even though we go then and I do like the lower points). But will they ever be willing to take that one? I'd be surprised.
If DVC has an incredibly high occupancy rate year round, I'm curious what the rationale is for the point redistribution. Or, in this situation, I guess I'm wondering more why they wouldn't do it.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #43
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
I don't think it's really worth it to them to make that change. There aren't any big gains in the overall number of people traveling to disney, just a lot of DVC people want to go at that time. Honestly a good chunk of them are walking for the end of the year anyway, which throws the early part of the month into chaos.

What I would like to see are some restrictions on (but not elimination of) walking. Members could only extend a reservation say 2 twice to get it farther into the 11 month window at their home resort or the 7 month window at another resort, with cast members being able to accommodate special requests if the member has a legitimate reason why they need to break the cap. Obviously walking would still happen, but only concentrated around high demand periods. At this point you have to spend an hour a day watching which rooms open back up after a week to figure out how to book in the future due to phantom demand.
This is going to be an incredibly unpopular suggestion, but what about charging for modifications to reservation dates? RCI charges you a booking fee, and I believe that they charge you a fee to change or cancel your reservation. While this would stink when you just needed to make a minor adjustment or had to cancel, it would prevent the walkers from "holding days" that they have no intention of using.

However, I really like the suggestion that you are allowed up to 2 modifications for travel dates on any reservation. This wouldn't cost us a thing when we have to make 1 or 2 minor adjustments and would also prevent the walking for weeks which, I'm sorry, is just ridiculous. Who has that much time?!?
Old 01-26-2018, 11:39 AM   #44
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Early December has been very popular for years and years. It has nothing to do with walking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowrbazzle View Post
If DVC has an incredibly high occupancy rate year round, I'm curious what the rationale is for the point redistribution. Or, in this situation, I guess I'm wondering more why they wouldn't do it.
DVC is sold to be occupied 100% year round - that's the nature of a timeshare. But it doesn't mean that year round has the same popularity and there are times that book up at 8am at 11 months such as that first week of December, but many other times that don't book up until much closer to check in (much of summer for example). The fiduciary responsibility of DVC is towards it's members and it would be argued they are not responding to that by allowing such an uneven difficulty of booking patterns. It's pretty much the only reason they do point reallocations so would fall within something they could, and why I say should, do.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:46 AM   #45
rowrbazzle
Grand Villa

Quote:
DVC is sold to be occupied 100% year round - that's the nature of a timeshare. But it doesn't mean that year round has the same popularity and there are times that book up at 8am at 11 months such as that first week of December, but many other times that don't book up until much closer to check in (much of summer for example). The fiduciary responsibility of DVC is towards it's members and it would be argued they are not responding to that by allowing such an uneven difficulty of booking patterns. It's pretty much the only reason they do point reallocations so would fall within something they could, and why I say should, do.
That makes sense.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #46
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Early December has been very popular for years and years. It has nothing to do with walking.

Walking completely changes the availability of rooms in early December when the window for booking opens for them. Members end up having much more difficulty getting rooms they want and often have to pick up the scraps left over when walkers drop earlier days in a reservation. Where you may have been one of the first people to try to book a week in a studio, and have it gone for your time period, others may be putting in wait lists for chunks of that week days later and get ahead of you so that ultimately you can't book what you intended to.

I believe the perceived exclusivity also makes people want to book during that time even more, to see what the big deal is. It's not unlike when a new ride comes out and people will book fastpasses for it every day on their trip until they are sure what park they want to go to. Someone trying to plan at their 60 day window can't get on FoP because other people are hoarding and might only pick up something dropped if they are lucky with timing.

Based on my RAT searches over the past month, it seems only certain locations and room types are really that desired in this time period at 11 months and I don't see a big benefit for members trying to adjust the flow of bookings. Other than special high demand weeks DVD tries to have chunks of time in each point season and not bounce back and forth too much. It would be confusing for everybody
Old 01-26-2018, 12:24 PM   #47
cornbread4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Disney View Post
With December looking like a popular time at least for this year, anyone know how often DVC will rebalance the points (not within resort like SSR standard and preferred), but make say the first 2 weeks of December more points, and some other time less points?

I think I've read that they have done this in the past.
Point charts are already published for 2019, so 2020 is the soonest it could occur.

Whether they will do it will depend on the many factors discussed in this and other posts. And likely some we're not privy too as well.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #48
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
This is going to be an incredibly unpopular suggestion, but what about charging for modifications to reservation dates? RCI charges you a booking fee, and I believe that they charge you a fee to change or cancel your reservation. While this would stink when you just needed to make a minor adjustment or had to cancel, it would prevent the walkers from "holding days" that they have no intention of using.

However, I really like the suggestion that you are allowed up to 2 modifications for travel dates on any reservation. This wouldn't cost us a thing when we have to make 1 or 2 minor adjustments and would also prevent the walking for weeks which, I'm sorry, is just ridiculous. Who has that much time?!?

But what about people who want to book 2 or 3 weeks? Usually I'd just wait until we could book the whole lot, but then we go for a 1 bed. But if we decided to go over Christmas again, I might not wait for the whole window to open. But then your idea would mean I'd be charged to add the second week, and again to add the next few days.

Or do you mean just adjusting the start date?
Old 01-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #49
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Walking completely changes the availability of rooms in early December when the window for booking opens for them. Members end up having much more difficulty getting rooms they want and often have to pick up the scraps left over when walkers drop earlier days in a reservation. Where you may have been one of the first people to try to book a week in a studio, and have it gone for your time period, others may be putting in wait lists for chunks of that week days later and get ahead of you so that ultimately you can't book what you intended to.

I believe the perceived exclusivity also makes people want to book during that time even more, to see what the big deal is. It's not unlike when a new ride comes out and people will book fastpasses for it every day on their trip until they are sure what park they want to go to. Someone trying to plan at their 60 day window can't get on FoP because other people are hoarding and might only pick up something dropped if they are lucky with timing.

Based on my RAT searches over the past month, it seems only certain locations and room types are really that desired in this time period at 11 months and I don't see a big benefit for members trying to adjust the flow of bookings. Other than special high demand weeks DVD tries to have chunks of time in each point season and not bounce back and forth too much. It would be confusing for everybody
I disagree that walkers have much to do with it. 10 years ago people had difficulty with the first week of December for certain room categories. It hasn't changed. What has changed is how the booking is done where as before it was supposed to be book backwards from your check out date. So people fudged and booked day by day and asked MS to modify to extend the stay. Now people book from the day they check in.

Yes, some people will walk and will walk past the dates but it's had difficulty for years and tons of complaints and unhappy people for years and years.
Old 01-26-2018, 02:00 PM   #50
ajc
Grand Villa

for a walker to get 11 month booking they have to own at that resort so: walkers are owners, too, they just know the game better that I do..
Closed Thread