home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #21
CaptJack
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default UY selection

We chose a June UY, since we thought we might be sending kids to Disney as graduation gifts. We held out in the buying process until we got the UY we wanted.

CaptJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:05 AM   #22
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

I know a lot of regulars on here think UY does not matter, but that really depends on how certain you are that you will never need to cancel or move a trip.

We have a Sept UY and usually travel in Sept or Dec. I love having a “good” UY for our common travel times. We’ve only had to cancel once, but I have had to cut a day a Few times. I would absolutely hate having a UY where our regular travel dates were toward the end of our UY and I would definitely wait longer if buying direct or pay more if buying resale to get a UY that works better for us. It’s worth it to me just for the peace of mind that if our plans have to change we have plenty of time to book another trip or bank the points.

I understand that travel plans change over time and what might be a great UY today might not be so good 10 years from now, but I say go with what you do know. What you do know is what is good for you now and what is bad for you now. I just don’t see any reason to buy a UY that I already know would be risky for how I travel right now. It’s just not worth it.

OP is buying direct, and can request whatever they want. I say take a good look at how you travel now, maybe speculate about how that might change in the future and get a UY that fits well based on that.

For us, we looked at when we are most likely to travel to WDW ( Sept - May, but mostly Sept, Dec and Jan) and when we are least likely to go to WDW ( July and Aug - too darn hot) and decided Sept would be ideal, though we would have taken Aug if better price). Sept contract of right size and good deal popped up so we jumped on it.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 11:09 AM   #23
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tink711 View Post
I know a lot of regulars on here think UY does not matter, but that really depends on how certain you are that you will never need to cancel or move a trip.

We have a Sept UY and usually travel in Sept or Dec. I love having a “good” UY for our common travel times. We’ve only had to cancel once, but I have had to cut a day a Few times. I would absolutely hate having a UY where our regular travel dates were toward the end of our UY and I would definitely wait longer if buying direct or pay more if buying resale to get a UY that works better for us. It’s worth it to me just for the peace of mind that if our plans have to change we have plenty of time to book another trip or bank the points.

I understand that travel plans change over time and what might be a great UY today might not be so good 10 years from now, but I say go with what you do know. What you do know is what is good for you now and what is bad for you now. I just don’t see any reason to buy a UY that I already know would be risky for how I travel right now. It’s just not worth it.

OP is buying direct, and can request whatever they want. I say take a good look at how you travel now, maybe speculate about how that might change in the future and get a UY that fits well based on that.

For us, we looked at when we are most likely to travel to WDW ( Sept - May, but mostly Sept, Dec and Jan) and when we are least likely to go to WDW ( July and Aug - too darn hot) and decided Sept would be ideal, though we would have taken Aug if better price). Sept contract of right size and good deal popped up so we jumped on it.
Bigger thing than canceling is how certain you are that your travel times will not shift. I get your point but as an owner of 16 years, that has changed way more. I have also not canceled a trip to this date.

Banking windows have also changed over the years so that's why to some of us, it isn't as important. While I am going May 30th with a June UY the dates will shift too. Life is ever changing.

I think getting an Aug or Sept UY could be wise for the OP but if life changes, don't sweat the UY.
Old 01-11-2020, 11:21 AM   #24
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

DH did ALL the DVC research before we bought. I just trusted his research and signed the check.
We mainly traveled in Oct (fall break) and Nov (Thanksgiving) and end of May/early June (when they had Star Wars weekends, and we believed that would continue...ha. ) End of May is our go-to time, as kids are out of school often before other parts of the country, and we can get a jump on summer
He believes Sept UY is perfect for that.
Use points for fall travel, but also, if we had a May trip scheduled, and too late to bank points, we'd have the rest of the summer to reschedule/use the points, If we canceled before April 30, would still make our banking window.
we have had to cancel a trip for family medical reasons. and then had to drastically cut short a trip due to death in immediate family. pre-DVC, but still, we know life happens, and plans can change.
Also, life changed, as kids grew older, and we do not want to take them out of high school/middle school for trips. too much make up work, at this time
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 12:15 PM   #25
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Bigger thing than canceling is how certain you are that your travel times will not shift. I get your point but as an owner of 16 years, that has changed way more. I have also not canceled a trip to this date.
But if you don't cancel, why does your UY matter to your travel times? We have two different UY and we have visited in all different times of year (except summer ) and the UY has never been a factor in when we can go. We will always have the same number of points every year. Unless you're talking about point reset across UY for multiple trip spacing. In that case, though, borrowing across the boundary would seem to do the same thing.

Cheers.
Old 01-11-2020, 03:04 PM   #26
hilaw
Grand Villa

I agree with the buy for what you know now. Future changes are unpredictable to truly plan for now, and stuff happens even with the best laid current plans.
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #27
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
But if you don't cancel, why does your UY matter to your travel times? We have two different UY and we have visited in all different times of year (except summer ) and the UY has never been a factor in when we can go. We will always have the same number of points every year. Unless you're talking about point reset across UY for multiple trip spacing. In that case, though, borrowing across the boundary would seem to do the same thing.

Cheers.
That was kind of my point. UY means little unless you cancel often. UY has affected me once and only once. Was out of points for a last minute trip in May. Had used up all my points for the next year and couldn't borrow. Lol. Honestly I find it to be not a big deal which is what I was saying.

If the OP feels better buying August or Sept, no big deal. Otherwise unless they cancel often it likely won't really affect them.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:13 PM   #28
Kerri jo
Grand Villa

As many others have stated, what makes sense for a UY now may change over time. I have four UY I am working with (Feb, Jun, Sep, Dec), and there are pros and cons to each. In the end, it comes down to how well you manage your points, staying ahead with your own travel plans, and being aware of demand at DVC properties. Our family keeps a two-year rolling calendar of our major travels, and when the mood strikes, we sprinkle in a few extra trips around those with extra DVC points, other vacation interests that we own, or deals from travel providers. If you are on a fixed schedule for the next 20 years and/or if Disney is your only vacation of the year, or of several years due to banking and borrowing to make a trip happen, maybe UY matters more.
2020 ~ AUL, BCV, BWV, PVB; 2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:16 PM   #29
bakerworld
Grand Villa

I wonder sometimes if the reason we have a Dec UY - the guide told us which UY we would have and it was August so I guess we missed the September and October UY. I've never heard anyone mention a November or January UY. - is the assumption we'd be 'snow birds'. It could happen. I have a hard time seeing me take a vacation longer than a week but ... never say never.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #30
Kerri jo
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
I wonder sometimes if the reason we have a Dec UY - the guide told us which UY we would have and it was August so I guess we missed the September and October UY. I've never heard anyone mention a November or January UY. - is the assumption we'd be 'snow birds'. It could happen. I have a hard time seeing me take a vacation longer than a week but ... never say never.
DVC does not offer January or November UY (no May or July UY either).
2020 ~ AUL, BCV, BWV, PVB; 2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote