home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #11
EandT
One Bedroom

Thank you all for the advice so far! It's appreciated. If I am able to get Sept/Oct and 2019 points on a direct buy I assume that is a good thing but I am not exactly sure how it would affect us. Any thoughts?
EandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 04:38 PM   #12
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandT View Post
Thank you all for the advice so far! It's appreciated. If I am able to get Sept/Oct and 2019 points on a direct buy I assume that is a good thing but I am not exactly sure how it would affect us. Any thoughts?
If there is a use year you want and care about, stick to your guns. When paying a large premium over resale for AKV you should get what you want. Now that they can re-assign use years I don't expect you'll have much of a problem, but just don't let them stick you with April or something if you want a Fall UY. It may not be available today, but could well be available later in the week.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 06:33 PM   #13
kaedeesmom
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by EandT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
If there is a use year you want and care about, stick to your guns. When paying a large premium over resale for AKV you should get what you want. Now that they can re-assign use years I don't expect you'll have much of a problem, but just don't let them stick you with April or something if you want a Fall UY. It may not be available today, but could well be available later in the week.
If you want a specific use year, DVC can get it for you when buying direct. If your guide says differently, get a different guide - they should be happy to meet your needs.

We have a September use year (which has an Apr 30 banking deadline) because our travel is likely to be Sep 1 - Apr 30. Summer is just SO HOT. If we did Summer travel, it would be early in the Summer and relatively easy to book a different time before 8/31. The big downside to the Sep UY it is that it tends to be the UY with the fewest contracts for most resorts. This has never been a problem when buying direct (both times they had Sep points available), but Sep resale contracts are more scarce.
Old 12-12-2019, 10:49 PM   #14
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmoneous View Post
Sal's standard advice: It's a 50-year contract. Things change. Don't stress about use-year.
This. Unless you think you'll cancel, UY is irrelevant. We have two contracts, two UY. In a decade it has never become relevant. Get the best resale deal and don't sweat UY.

Cheers.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:09 AM   #15
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Sal's standard advice: It's a 50-year contract. Things change. Don't stress about use-year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
This. Unless you think you'll cancel, UY is irrelevant. We have two contracts, two UY. In a decade it has never become relevant. Get the best resale deal and don't sweat UY.

Cheers.
Agreed to both.

I have a June Use Year, usually travel in December, and in 15 years it has never been an issue.

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 07:25 AM   #16
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:

We have an October and April use year. I never had an issue with either. In fact, I think that people assign way too much importance to use year and its impact on vacations.

Also, life changes all the time. What is good now, might not be in a few years. We have been DVC members since 2006. Over the past 13 years, we have gone from family of vacation with the kids, to extended family vacation with the kids, spouses and grandkids. In between, we had the post high school years, where are trips were more with friends and no kids at all (adult only trips are highly recommended).

With our growing and changing lives, our trips we take today are different then the trips we took those first few years of DVC membership.
Old 12-13-2019, 11:37 AM   #17
cw62803
Two Bedroom

I agree with everyone who advises you not to stress about use year, as it almost never matters.

If you can get September or October - which matches your current travel schedule - get it. Why not?

But I've made dozens of DVC reservations through the years, and use year hasn't been a factor. I wouldn't pass up on an otherwise ideal contract to get a "desirable" use year.
cw62803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 11:55 AM   #18
Q_Division
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Ours is April which given we mainly travel Sept.->Nov. doesn't make the most sense but we've been know to travel in Aug. for example and don't tend to plan late (as we have to have flights etc.) so figured it probably didn't matter that much and so far that seems to be the case.
Q_Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:09 PM   #19
susieh
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Division View Post
Ours is April which given we mainly travel Sept.->Nov. doesn't make the most sense but we've been know to travel in Aug. for example and don't tend to plan late (as we have to have flights etc.) so figured it probably didn't matter that much and so far that seems to be the case.
We're the same. We bought in 1996 and it's never been a factor or problem for us
susieh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 03:32 PM   #20
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieh View Post
We're the same. We bought in 1996 and it's never been a factor or problem for us

Like I said before, Use Year is really over rated as a concern when buying DVC and booking trips.