home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Downsizing DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-10-2020, 12:51 PM   #21
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
it's like being a frog in a pot slowly reaching to a boil. No big changes year to year, but looking back, very different.

Dirk
Good analogy.

I've often felt like a broken record in statements against certain changes over the years. Almost always told it was small and wasn't really going to make a difference. The cumulative effects and the recognition of a corporation that they could do it that way - and keep on - was important IMO.
Old 09-10-2020, 12:58 PM   #22
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
... it's like being a frog in a pot slowly reaching to a boil.
It is a good analogy for the changes that have been dribbled out slowly and end up more substantial over time. Seems that, in real life, it isn't true with frogs.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo...ying-now/7446/

Cheers.
Old 09-10-2020, 03:57 PM   #23
mditkof
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
Hi Marty...This is first time I have ever heard of the Locked price on F&F at w/ College Program. My first contract for. 200 at WL must be “locked too . I guess this means they can’t be Sold thru a resale , only given back to Disney?
Learn something new everyday . That should come as no surprise, I guess.
Nothing is ever Free from Disney ultimately.
We had to sign a document agreeing to accept $78 per share (what we paid) if we ever want to sell it back, and should Disney want to pay it. I believe that we are required to tender it directly to Disney, but I don't recall the details on timing and such.

Marty
mditkof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:58 PM   #24
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mditkof View Post
We had to sign a document agreeing to accept $78 per share (what we paid) if we ever want to sell it back, and should Disney want to pay it. I believe that we are required to tender it directly to Disney, but I don't recall the details on timing and such.

Marty
Interesting, we bought F&F at SSR in 2006 at $83, but there was no Locke price for sale. I've never heard of that. Was this part of another affiliation in addition to F&F?

(I actually used the owner I rented points from for our first DVC trip as my F&F referral. They were happy to get a bonus from Disney for that.)

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #25
Pjferry
Two Bedroom

I didn't even know that as a college program person you could get a dvc discount. Does that still exist? Do you have to be a current college program person?
Old 09-10-2020, 07:22 PM   #26
Loro
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjferry View Post
I didn't even know that as a college program person you could get a dvc discount. Does that still exist? Do you have to be a current college program person?
If I recall correctly, the last I heard of this discount was prior to VGF (they didn't offer it for that resort I believe). I haven't heard anything since. I am curious if the discount still exists.
Loro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:52 PM   #27
Hi from RI
Grand Villa

Did not think I would be a contributor to this thread but.....we have added on over the last ten years even last year with a total of 6 contracts (only one at 50 its a few mid size 100-150). But DH was retiring (which he did in June!) so we discussed our finances going forward. We had a nice amount of points for us to go a few times a year. After discussion we sold one of them (160) to use the profit to pay off a car and a few little things to get debt free except for our house and to get rid of the maintenance fees (though not a large bill in the big picture). Kind of like how you keep adding on, we said maybe sell 1 more and we were very selective with it and put up another one so that is 2 this year. We still have enough points to do some nice longer trips or several small ones.

We may sell 1 more at some time maybe but I do not think we will ever sell all. Our older children (20's) still like to go and we hope to have some family trips with grandkids some day. I like the option of taking a long weekend alone with DH or taking friends or kiddos. It does feel like a second home to us many memories tied up in WDW for us and our children. My mom died in January and we took her/met her down there several times so I also feel her there too. So maybe time will lessen those tender memories of her and our children growing up there but not right now......I am hanging on to that until or unless I have to give it up.....

ME Nicole ,DH , DS : , DD , DD
Hi from RI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:56 PM   #28
mditkof
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Interesting, we bought F&F at SSR in 2006 at $83, but there was no Locke price for sale. I've never heard of that. Was this part of another affiliation in addition to F&F?

(I actually used the owner I rented points from for our first DVC trip as my F&F referral. They were happy to get a bonus from Disney for that.)

Dirk
None other than I am aware of.

Marty
mditkof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #29
playtime123
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Arrow

We are in the process of down sizing and just plan to keep one contract. Have to wait on a rented reservation to clear first then hopefully we can sell one. I’ve been thinking about it for a while. I guess the deciding factor is the planning seems to require a degree in project management and computer software engineering anymore to find all the “stuff” in MDE.

When we first bought DVC, you could pick a park and get your fast passes that day..... you could work around the weather, or a child’s desire to go back and see something again the next day. You could have kids take a swim and a nap in the afternoon, but now someone bangs on the door to inspect for guns and take your trash.

We’re getting older and want our vacations to be more like fun and less like a job... We will still go, but bank and borrow and go every 3 years.
Old 09-11-2020, 02:43 AM   #30
Crafty
Grand Villa

Our disenchantment with Disney has been developing for quite some time. We still enjoyed going, but the fun was ebbing away. The ratio of money spent to value received was deteriorating for us.

A few negatives: (in no particular order)

All the planning made it seem like work.
The day the inspector barged in when I was naked and wet after a shower.
Getting up at 5am to get a boarding pass for RotR and then the ride broke down.
The high MF increase at OKW.
The decline in customer service.
The bulk toiletries.
The increased costs.
The break-in to our room while I was sleeping.
Etc Etc

We went last December and had our worst trip ever. My daughter and I took her fiancée to introduce him to WDW. He was not impressed. Then COVID struck....

Assuming that all the contracts will close successfully, all we will have left are the 25 points in our blue card direct contract. I kept that contract just in case the bottom fell out of DVC pricing and I could buy 100 more points for a very occasional trip.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote