home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Renting DVC Points
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-16-2020, 02:01 PM   #761
hilaw
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
The company could have started out by NOT being so hypocritical. It asked owners to view the situation with their hearts (which, incidentally, a lot of owners were willing to do) while absolutely refusing to do the same thing itself. It started out with a self-protective, defensive, "screw the owner" attitude, and only after receiving bad press, decided to change its ways. Why don't you go over to the DIS and look at all of the threads bitching about the company's approach?

I'm glad it worked out for you. But that company has been removed from our sponsor list and will never be affiliated with this forum again. Why? Ethics, pure and simple.

It is interesting to me that as a new member, you chose this particular thread as a place to make your experiences known.
Shill?
hilaw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:08 PM   #762
Jstarr
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator View Post
The company could have started out by NOT being so hypocritical. It asked owners to view the situation with their hearts (which, incidentally, a lot of owners were willing to do) while absolutely refusing to do the same thing itself. It started out with a self-protective, defensive, "screw the owner" attitude, and only after receiving bad press, decided to change its ways. Why don't you go over to the DIS and look at all of the threads bitching about the company's approach?

I'm glad it worked out for you. But that company has been removed from our sponsor list and will never be affiliated with this forum again. Why? Ethics, pure and simple.

It is interesting to me that as a new member, you chose this particular thread as a place to make your experiences known.
Thanks. It did work out for me. Iím not a troll as someone else suggested and Iím not in anyway affiliated with Davidís other than renting my points on their service. I bought into OKW Feb 1994. The first 10 years or so any points I didnít use or give way to friends or charity expired. When I found Davidís service, I would send these points to them. And my experience, in my opinion, had always been positive with them including this April.

I joined your service having watched it occasionally thru the years but never needed to join until this month. I negotiated a new contract in early May and it took DVC until September to put the points in my account. Thus I had hundreds of points expiring Sept 30 (less than 3 weeks) that DVC would not extend because the prior owner banked them in. So, I turned here and I truly appreciate your outlet for letting me rent these points.

Maybe being a small business owner recently faced with hard decisions on cutting staff and possible bankruptcy of my business Iím a little more lenient of other small businesses. But I maintain for me, and maybe only me, they have always treated me professionally in the 10+ years Iíve used their service.
Jstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:47 PM   #763
lalimom

This is a long post outlining a few of my back and forths with Davids this year -- for anyone who thinks that Davids is looking out for anyone but Davids:

On Apr 9, 2020 at 6:14am, XXX wrote:
I know that you are working through all of the canceled vacations backlog and can hardly think about a July reservation, but I wanted to offer this to the renter while there is still time for me to rollover my 2019 points.
(a) if they would like me to cancel the reservation, they MUST let me know by the end of this month (so April 30th) so I can rollover this year's points. My use year is October, so I have to do it by May and I don't want to be scrambling to do this.
(b) assuming that they indicate that they would like to cancel by April 30, 2020, I will return in full the proceeds that were sent to me in the initial 70% distribution of XXX points @ $14.50 IF DISNEY ALLOWS ME TO CANCEL.
Again, this offer is good only until the end of this month. Starting May 1st, I will be far less willing to negotiate a full refund of what has been sent to me. Right now, I am willing to forego any compensation for the XXX points from 2018 use year, but I will expect some compensation for that starting May 1st. In addition, I will expect to be compensated to some degree if I lose the opportunity to roll over 2019's points.
Please convey this to the renter. I would like to be as decent as possible about this.
Thanks...XXX

Just a few hours later on April 9th, I receive this from Davids:
Hello XXX
Thank you for reaching out to us about the YYYYY family reservation. We appreciate your care and attention to this family. We have not heard from this family about their July XX, 2020 reservation at Aulani, and while it is gracious of you to offer to help these guests, we are prioritizing helping the hundreds of guests who are immediately affected by April and May check-in dates.
We will reach out to you and the guests to try to work out an arrangement within the DVC points restrictions in due time if the resorts remain closed. We realize that if the closures are extended into the summer that it will affect your ability to bank these points unless Disney Vacation Club reconsiders their policy.
You may have already seen this, but here is the information posted on the Disney Website about the Vacation Club Travel Alert. https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go...l-information/ They say they are continuing to evaluate the banking and expiration policy of current use year points.
Sincerely,
ZZZZ
Davidís Vacation Club Rentals
Toll Free: (800) 610-5791
http://www.dvcrequest.com
www.facebook.com/dvcRentals
https://www.pinterest.com/dvcrentals/
#dvcrentals

In July, after Disney cancels Aulani reservation, Davids of course asks me to look to my heart, blah, blah, blah and return the 70% to them. Of course, I point out to them that I gave them a chance at a full refund in April, but they decided not to take me up on it. I offer, however, to refund the client family directly. Hereís Davidís response:

Hello XXXX
Thank you for the reply.
We appreciate your willingness to refund the guest directly, however the guest has accepted the Travel Credit and we have already issued the guest their credit in the amount their reservation was for. If you were to refund the 70%, the best route would be sending it back how it was sent to you so that we can maintain our accounting best practices. We try and maintain confidentiality with the guest and DVC owners information and much like we deter our guests from reaching directly out to DVC Owners we implore the same diligence with DVC Owners directly contacting guests. This just keeps the liability with the Intermediary as we act on behalf of both the Owner and Guest as laid out in the Agreement.
At the end of the day, we are truly trying to provide a positive outcome for all and make everyone whole and we greatly appreciate all of your assistance. As you may know not all DVC Owners have been as gracious in offering their help and the return of funds will not only help this family but many others that did not receive the same consideration.
Thank you for your wiliness to help the funds may be returned to team@dvcrequest.com via paypal.
Please let us know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
ZZZZZ
lalimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:00 PM   #764
starry_solo
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalimom View Post
This is a long post outlining a few of my back and forths with Davids this year -- for anyone who thinks that Davids is looking out for anyone but Davids:

On Apr 9, 2020 at 6:14am, XXX wrote:
I know that you are working through all of the canceled vacations backlog and can hardly think about a July reservation, but I wanted to offer this to the renter while there is still time for me to rollover my 2019 points.
(a) if they would like me to cancel the reservation, they MUST let me know by the end of this month (so April 30th) so I can rollover this year's points. My use year is October, so I have to do it by May and I don't want to be scrambling to do this.
(b) assuming that they indicate that they would like to cancel by April 30, 2020, I will return in full the proceeds that were sent to me in the initial 70% distribution of XXX points @ $14.50 IF DISNEY ALLOWS ME TO CANCEL.
Again, this offer is good only until the end of this month. Starting May 1st, I will be far less willing to negotiate a full refund of what has been sent to me. Right now, I am willing to forego any compensation for the XXX points from 2018 use year, but I will expect some compensation for that starting May 1st. In addition, I will expect to be compensated to some degree if I lose the opportunity to roll over 2019's points.
Please convey this to the renter. I would like to be as decent as possible about this.
Thanks...XXX

Just a few hours later on April 9th, I receive this from Davids:
Hello XXX
Thank you for reaching out to us about the YYYYY family reservation. We appreciate your care and attention to this family. We have not heard from this family about their July XX, 2020 reservation at Aulani, and while it is gracious of you to offer to help these guests, we are prioritizing helping the hundreds of guests who are immediately affected by April and May check-in dates.
We will reach out to you and the guests to try to work out an arrangement within the DVC points restrictions in due time if the resorts remain closed. We realize that if the closures are extended into the summer that it will affect your ability to bank these points unless Disney Vacation Club reconsiders their policy.
You may have already seen this, but here is the information posted on the Disney Website about the Vacation Club Travel Alert. https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go...l-information/ They say they are continuing to evaluate the banking and expiration policy of current use year points.
Sincerely,
ZZZZ
Toll Free: (800) 610-5791
http://www.dvcrequest.com
www.facebook.com/dvcRentals
https://www.pinterest.com/dvcrentals/
#dvcrentals

In July, after Disney cancels Aulani reservation, Davids of course asks me to look to my heart, blah, blah, blah and return the 70% to them. Of course, I point out to them that I gave them a chance at a full refund in April, but they decided not to take me up on it. I offer, however, to refund the client family directly. Hereís Davidís response:

Hello XXXX
Thank you for the reply.
We appreciate your willingness to refund the guest directly, however the guest has accepted the Travel Credit and we have already issued the guest their credit in the amount their reservation was for. If you were to refund the 70%, the best route would be sending it back how it was sent to you so that we can maintain our accounting best practices. We try and maintain confidentiality with the guest and DVC owners information and much like we deter our guests from reaching directly out to DVC Owners we implore the same diligence with DVC Owners directly contacting guests. This just keeps the liability with the Intermediary as we act on behalf of both the Owner and Guest as laid out in the Agreement.
At the end of the day, we are truly trying to provide a positive outcome for all and make everyone whole and we greatly appreciate all of your assistance. As you may know not all DVC Owners have been as gracious in offering their help and the return of funds will not only help this family but many others that did not receive the same consideration.
Thank you for your wiliness to help the funds may be returned to team@dvcrequest.com via paypal.
Please let us know how you would like to proceed.
Sincerely,
ZZZZZ
Wow...just wow. Of course, if they actually had things organized, they should haven been able to resolve these fairly quickly....
starry_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:14 PM   #765
lalimom

What was shocking to me in april was that i got a response within hours— clearly davids didnʻt give much consideration to the refund offer and i suspect didnʻt present it to the renter. I did half expect them to write me back in april reconsidering the initial answer. Nada further in may or june. And having never rented before through davids, i was skittish about any legal liability about going directly to the renter. Probably overly conservative on my part. Again, i donʻt consider the matter entirely closed for me with respect to the renter, but that path will not involve davids.

I posted these emails because they demonstrate davids got in the way of a client refund twice.
lalimom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:42 AM   #766
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

I have just rerented my 150 points (Canceled by COVID) to new renters thru Davids. So I am now in the 2nd tier of the pyramid. I rented them in 2 separate ressies for 2 different families. But they add up to exactly what my original ressie was for. Not sure when I get paid my 30%. At each individual ressie or when it is done. If all this goes well I will be made whole. I only hope the original family gets to use their voucher.
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:59 AM   #767
dvc happy
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffToTheMouse View Post
I have just rerented my 150 points (Canceled by COVID) to new renters thru Davids. So I am now in the 2nd tier of the pyramid. I rented them in 2 separate ressies for 2 different families. But they add up to exactly what my original ressie was for. Not sure when I get paid my 30%. At each individual ressie or when it is done. If all this goes well I will be made whole. I only hope the original family gets to use their voucher.
Sorry but am I correct that you just recently rented points through Davids?

Home away from home,
Jambo House
dvc happy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:50 AM   #768
BobParr
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy0618 View Post
Lasrt spring we rented out points through David's for a late summer stay. Because of Covid-19, the renter did not want to go. David's asked us if we were willing to change the name on the reservation if they could rerent it. Of course we said yes. David's posted the reservation on their confirmed reservations, and they were able to rerent it. We changed the name, and we received our additional 30%. As an unexpected surprise, David's gave us an additional $2 per point for our willingness to change the name.
Happened to me as well, which is as good a resolution as I would have expected. The math bothers me, though. They deeply discounted the points (to $9) to re-rent them at the 11th hour. After the extra $2 they paid me, that means they rented the points for $7. So those points are gone (good for me) but somewhere there is a family with a voucher to redeem that David's will have to find points for. If all of the families with vouchers try and redeem them, the financial situation for David's would appear to be untenable.

I suppose in the current market (where many owners are discounting points to rent) that they could squeak by if they could buy points for $9-$11 per to cover the vouchers. But if the market recovers, it would seem their margins will be upside down on the vouchers.

Perhaps they have enough cash to weather that storm, and perhaps they are counting on many of those vouchers expiring unused--in fact, I'm fairly confident that many won't be used.

That said, I'm hoping for the best for David's, or more specifically for the families that David's has issued vouchers to. If David's goes under, the vouchers will be worthless, and those families will be left holding the bag. Some here believe that is true anyway, but from what I've seen thus far they are trying to honor what's out there. Here's hoping that happens.
BobParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:03 AM   #769
Dkg711
Studio

I got paid my remaining 30% from David's for a family that checked into the Poly yesterday.

I believe that David's is trying to stay solvent and is currently honoring their contracts. I had rented my points as an owner through David's for a reservation that was cancelled due to Covid back in May. Rather than have David's try to re-rent my points, I opted to refunded David's the 70% of that contract and retain my points from the cancelled reservation. It worked out well for me as I've already used the refunded points for a WDW trip back in August when the parks reopened.

I did reach out via email to the family of the canceled reservation before I refunded the 70% to David's. They were very nice and felt comfortable with the voucher system David's had setup.

For everyone who has a rental contract and/or voucher, I hope David's does everything they can do to stay in business.
Dkg711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:55 AM   #770
OffToTheMouse
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvc happy View Post
Sorry but am I correct that you just recently rented points through Davids?
No I am an owner. I rented them out.

I rented 150 there were to be used in April. David gave them vouchers. I now rented the 150 out to 2 new ressies thru davids. I plan on getting my 30% at checkin and I hope the original ressie gets to use their voucher.
OffToTheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote