home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > Welcome to the Forums!
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-02-2018, 11:42 AM   #1871
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6bowmans View Post
Hello Everyone. I have been a DVC member for 15-yrs but have somehow missed this website Just had another case of addonitis, and I am in the process of adding our fourth contract. First time using Garden Views Realty / DVC Resales but knew of Jaki's reputation from the "other" forum board. Anyway, the survey I filled out asked from where had I heard about their company. Mouse Owners was one of the selections, so I had to find out what it was all about. I guess it is time to crawl out from under the rock. I do not post much, but I do enjoy everyone's wisdom!
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #1872
NewbieMom
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default New DVC owner - recently closed

Hi Everyone! I can't believe I just found this forum. We've been researching DVC since February, and I've been using another forum this whole time to guide us through our 1st DVC purchase.

After taking our 2 y.o and 6 month old (at the time) to WDW, we decided to purchase and invest in making magical mouse trips for their childhood. We took a tour at AKV and my kids love it there so we decided on having AKV and BLT (for close access to MK) as our home resorts. Maybe in the future, we can add a couple more. Our BLT contract recently closed, and we are officially owners! (Even though we haven't received our login info yet.)

For our BLT contract, we have some points that will be expiring 11/30. We have no plans to go back this year (and maybe next) so I'm looking to rent out the points. That is actually how I found this forum in a search for renting points. I've read a few of the rental stories, and some of it is a bit scary. I guess it takes a bit of trust on both sides. On the other forum, some have suggested to use a rental broker which I looked into. But they referred to my expiring points as "distressed" and are only offering $3pp. That sounds really really low. Is that "normal"? Hence, I'm going to try renting myself. If it doesn't work out, then I'd rather bank with RCI than take $3pp. I think the value at RCI would be higher? Any thoughts, insights, experiences anyone cares to share would be greatly appreciated!

I'm really glad to find this forum. Now that I've gone through the purchase process, hopefully I can help others as well.
NewbieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 04:33 PM   #1873
JudieHopps
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieMom View Post
Hi Everyone! I can't believe I just found this forum. We've been researching DVC since February, and I've been using another forum this whole time to guide us through our 1st DVC purchase.

After taking our 2 y.o and 6 month old (at the time) to WDW, we decided to purchase and invest in making magical mouse trips for their childhood. We took a tour at AKV and my kids love it there so we decided on having AKV and BLT (for close access to MK) as our home resorts. Maybe in the future, we can add a couple more. Our BLT contract recently closed, and we are officially owners! (Even though we haven't received our login info yet.)

For our BLT contract, we have some points that will be expiring 11/30. We have no plans to go back this year (and maybe next) so I'm looking to rent out the points. That is actually how I found this forum in a search for renting points. I've read a few of the rental stories, and some of it is a bit scary. I guess it takes a bit of trust on both sides. On the other forum, some have suggested to use a rental broker which I looked into. But they referred to my expiring points as "distressed" and are only offering $3pp. That sounds really really low. Is that "normal"? Hence, I'm going to try renting myself. If it doesn't work out, then I'd rather bank with RCI than take $3pp. I think the value at RCI would be higher? Any thoughts, insights, experiences anyone cares to share would be greatly appreciated!

I'm really glad to find this forum. Now that I've gone through the purchase process, hopefully I can help others as well.

Welcome to you!

That is low, but I don’t know the renting world.

I would try this forums rental broker contributor, David’s Vacation rentals.

You are new to this and there is so much to learn about renting so I hear.

Read some of the recent threads on renting and there are some real horror storys to tell about scammers out there! Be cautious as you are new, (my humble opinion)

Some value is better than no value on your points. Use your points if you can.
Go with a reputable broker if you can’t. You have years to figure this stuff out. Don’t rush a decision on renting.

At least you were aware of having points you might not use when you purchased.

Best of luck you.
Keep us posted please.
JudieHopps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 08:35 PM   #1874
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Welcome aboard, and best of luck with your rental.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:18 PM   #1875
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:

Welcome aboard. From your post I assume you bought a resale contact at BLT and had banked points already. If you haven't banked them yet you may have missed the banking window.
The biggest issue is available inventory on short timeline with a few dates at Saratoga Springs or Vero Beach available. RCI as a 2 year roll over might be an option or you can try to book a non-DVC room at a moderate resort (I don't know if that is allowed on resale markets). There are dates at Aulani still available and a few days at end of August (28/29/30) and one night in Sept (7) and Nov(30) for a one bedroom at Grand Californian available (with points ranging 40 to 52points/night) if you are close enough to drive to Anaheim for a family splurge night.
I don't know how many points you have but the best way to rent them on a short timeline is to book an existing reservation and offer that for rent.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:56 PM   #1876
NewbieMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
Welcome aboard. From your post I assume you bought a resale contact at BLT and had banked points already. If you haven't banked them yet you may have missed the banking window.
The biggest issue is available inventory on short timeline with a few dates at Saratoga Springs or Vero Beach available. RCI as a 2 year roll over might be an option or you can try to book a non-DVC room at a moderate resort (I don't know if that is allowed on resale markets). There are dates at Aulani still available and a few days at end of August (28/29/30) and one night in Sept (7) and Nov(30) for a one bedroom at Grand Californian available (with points ranging 40 to 52points/night) if you are close enough to drive to Anaheim for a family splurge night.
I don't know how many points you have but the best way to rent them on a short timeline is to book an existing reservation and offer that for rent.
Yes, BLT resale w/Dec UY. Seller had banked leftover 2016 points, used some and banked remaining 2017 points, full 2018 points intact. I have 100pts leftover to use by 11/30. I'm within driving distance to DLR and would love to use my points there! I heard it's difficult to book VGC even at 7 months, so I'm surprised. I'm still waiting on my login/account info to access my points. It should arrive any day now since it's been 2 weeks since we closed. Hopefully those rooms are still available in a few days! That would definitely solve my dilemma.
NewbieMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 03:11 AM   #1877
AnnaS
Grand Villa

Quote:

Welcome to MO!
May 2019 - OKW

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 07:31 AM   #1878
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Yes, BLT resale w/Dec UY. Seller had banked leftover 2016 points, used some and banked remaining 2017 points, full 2018 points intact. I have 100pts leftover to use by 11/30. I'm within driving distance to DLR and would love to use my points there! I heard it's difficult to book VGC even at 7 months, so I'm surprised. I'm still waiting on my login/account info to access my points. It should arrive any day now since it's been 2 weeks since we closed. Hopefully those rooms are still available in a few days! That would definitely solve my dilemma.
Since you have the points call the broker for your timeline to assign your membership number. Then call DVC to book ASAP. The one bedroom designation will spoil you (we are an empty nester couple so we just book studios) with full kitchen and washer/dryer in the facility which you don't need for an overnight but if you can use the points it gives you a chance to explore. The 2018 points are good to Nov 2019 but you can bank them by July 2019 (I think) if you don't have a trip planned. AUgust dates are gone and the only 2 dates left right now are 2 fridays on September 7 (40 points) and Nov 30 (48 points). That would be great since you can stay on property to explore and enjoy the amenities all day Saturday.
I hope some pixie dust gets sprinkled your way!
Old 08-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #1879
AdventureEllieF

Default New to MO

Hi, there-- new to Mouseowners as of yesterday, though I have lurked for several months, since we became DVC owners in 2016.

We are a couple from Texas with grown kids (stepkids to me) and a lovely young granddaughter. Oh, yes, she was certainly part of the decision-making process; when she came along it started to make more sense to invest in DVC for future years.

We have 2 small contracts for now, both bought direct-- one at BWV (our home!!) and the other at AKV. The idea was to start small, get used to the process, and not pay MF on points we didn't need until we start taking the next generations when she is just a little bit older. I also want to take some of my other family members in the upcoming years as well. So an add-on is inevitable, just a matter of time.

I've lurked here for ages, but with our current point holdings, I figure at some point we would be looking to rent or have a transfer for trips needing more points than we have, so I figured I had best start a MO history.

Seems like I have learned so much from reading here!
Hate that resale prices have gone up so much, even since late 2016-- pretty envious of those of you who bought in the early days!

Cheers,
Betsy
AdventureEllieF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 08:52 PM   #1880
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureEllieF View Post
Hi, there-- new to Mouseowners as of yesterday, though I have lurked for several months, since we became DVC owners in 2016.

We are a couple from Texas with grown kids (stepkids to me) and a lovely young granddaughter. Oh, yes, she was certainly part of the decision-making process; when she came along it started to make more sense to invest in DVC for future years.

We have 2 small contracts for now, both bought direct-- one at BWV (our home!!) and the other at AKV. The idea was to start small, get used to the process, and not pay MF on points we didn't need until we start taking the next generations when she is just a little bit older. I also want to take some of my other family members in the upcoming years as well. So an add-on is inevitable, just a matter of time.

I've lurked here for ages, but with our current point holdings, I figure at some point we would be looking to rent or have a transfer for trips needing more points than we have, so I figured I had best start a MO history.

Seems like I have learned so much from reading here!
Hate that resale prices have gone up so much, even since late 2016-- pretty envious of those of you who bought in the early days!

Cheers,
Betsy

Welcome aboard.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote