home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 10:10 AM   #211
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
Wow! Your posts are showing me how little I know about gondolas. That’s crazy!
Think about this....... that haul rope is steadily running at 1000+ feet per minute. Somehow we have to get these totally separate cabins initially filled with people, and accelerated to 1000+ feet per minute smoothly enough so that we don't freak out people or harm them, then securely clamp that separate cabin onto that already moving metal cable, then keep it spaced appropriately from other cabins, also make sure it runs smoothly over-through the various multiple sheave trains on the towers as it heads to its destination, then unclamp it from the cable, slow it down smoothly, give people time to get off....... and then do it all again as the cabin heads back the other way. Continuously..... all day.

AND...... monitor for wind speed at many locations, monitor for tower anomalies that should not be there, make sure the cable stays correctly seated on the sheave trains, (I'm assuming in Florida) monitor for lightening, watch lots of parameters for stuff like transmissions and engines temps, voltage surges / variations, and so on.

AND... have lift attendants assisting in loading and unloading and watching for things that can't easily be monitored and be ready to hit emergency slow down or stop switches. And keeping a general eye out for anything anomalous that automatic systems might miss.

It's a lot.

I don't know anything about theme park "rides" standards and legal controls, but in most states, "ski lifts" are handled very much like "public transportation" as far as standards go. Like a bus carrier. Or a train carrier. So the state has a lot of say in what gets done and how it gets done to protect "public safety". I assume that Florida has a "Tramway Board" too.

I think the public's first potential mistake is thinking of this as a "ride". As I said before here...... it is a"transportation system". When you get on a commercial aircraft, a public bus, or even your car, you have a slightly different mental approach to that trip.

best,

................john

Last edited by WiltonJohn; 10-09-2019 at 10:18 AM.
WiltonJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #212
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
Think about this....... that haul rope is steadily running at 1000+ feet per minute. Somehow we have to get these totally separate cabins initially filled with people, and accelerated to 1000+ feet per minute smoothly enough so that we don't freak out people or harm them, then securely clamp that separate cabin onto that already moving metal cable, then keep it spaced appropriately from other cabins, also make sure it runs smoothly over-through the various multiple sheave trains on the towers as it heads to its destination, then unclamp it from the cable, slow it down smoothly, give people time to get off....... and then do it all again as the cabin heads back the other way. Continuously..... all day.

AND...... monitor for wind speed at many locations, monitor for tower anomalies that should not be there, make sure the cable stays correctly seated on the sheave trains, (I'm assuming in Florida) monitor for lightening, watch lots of parameters for stuff like transmissions and engines temps, voltage surges / variations, and so on.

AND... have lift attendants assisting in loading and unloading and watching for things that can't easily be monitored and be ready to hit emergency slow down or stop switches. And keeping a general eye out for anything anomalous that automatic systems might miss.

It's a lot.

I don't know anything about theme park "rides" standards and legal controls, but in most states, "ski lifts" are handled very much like "public transportation" as far as standards go. Like a bus carrier. Or a train carrier. So the state has a lot of say in what gets done and how it gets done to protect "public safety". I assume that Florida has a "Tramway Board" too.

I think the public's first potential mistake is thinking of this as a "ride". As I said before here...... it is a"transportation system". When you get on a commercial aircraft, a public bus, or even your car, you have a slightly different mental approach to that trip.

best,

................john
Thank you for your informative posts.

I wonder how long itíll take them to get the Skyliner back up and running. I donít want them rushing it by any means, but Disney seems to usually do the opposite and take forever to do anything. If it does take a while to reopen, I hope itís because theyíre really working on getting it right and fixing these issues rather than just delaying for the sake of delaying which I feel like they have been known to do.
Old 10-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #213
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
I wonder how long itíll take them to get the Skyliner back up and running.
I'm guessing there is a lot of backroom 'finger pointing' going on right now.

Some of the delay MAY be the Florida Tramway Board looking into this. Particularly the evac issues, not the breakdown itself.

The mechanical / electrical is easy to assess. The "response" issues... far more difficult as to solutions.

best,

..............john
Old 10-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #214
Goofy Dad 13
Grand Villa

They have been running the past two days, just no passengers. Here's selfishly hoping they start letting passengers back on today (or at least this week).

Goofy Dad 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:06 PM   #215
disneyteach
Grand Villa

I've been following this thread and just wanted to thank John for all of his insight! It has really helped me to understand the mechanics of the gondola system, and what possibly went wrong in this instance.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 09:02 PM   #216
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiltonJohn View Post
I'm a pretty accomplished engineer in Silicon Valley who's been around some cool stuff, but I still marvel at how, and how well, these things do all the things you're talking about given that they're separate and disjoint from the cable. And so much credit goes to the folks making it happen.

Thanks for what is very much an education here!

Cheers.
Old 10-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #217
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Thanks for the kind words folks.

A part of the operation you don't see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qU-NTHeFAzI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOR6bS0gI64

best,

...............john
Old 10-11-2019, 01:38 PM   #218
Obie1DVC2014
Studio

Nice videos! Your explanations have been great, but after seeing it in action it almost makes sense.

I still can't wait to try them next time we take a trip. We were about 10 days too early this past go around.
Obie1DVC2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 11:22 AM   #219
kaedeesmom
Two Bedroom

Thanks for the great info, WiltonJohn!
Old 10-12-2019, 12:33 PM   #220
Tessa
Two Bedroom

Thank you, WiltonJohn! Excellent and informative information. When accidents happen, it's good to have someone with expertise to explain the intricacies since likely no one here has the insight that you do.