home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #21
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCivish3 View Post
Every 2 minutes is hyperbole? No it isn't. Keep in mind that every ECV that loads at Riviera, will also be returning later and unloading. If this happens that there is 1 new ECV rider showing up to load every 4 minutes, then, because they will return, it will be double, so one every 2 minutes.

I already saw this happen! There was one afternoon, where they shut down the 'special loading area' at the Caribbean Beach Central, to HS line. I don't know if it was broken, or if they were just trying out the 'moving loading skills' of the ECV people. Well, that line was stopping every 2 minutes, sometimes for a minute or more at a time, because they had to stop it completely sometimes to load people who just couldn't do it right, on the fly. The Riviera station is a MISTAKE. They went cheap instead of installing the full turn buckle with ECV loading and unloading areas.

Maybe i'm wrong, but I really don't think so. AND, it doesn't matter that 'they don't have special loading areas for ECVs in Europe.' First of all, Europeans are much more skilled than Americans in some respects. They absolutely LAUGH at us, that someone has to hold our hand and nanny us. We have to have automated timers to shut off our electric blankets after 2 hours, so we don't burn ourselves, or that McDonalds needs to serve cooler coffee, because we can't avoid burning ourselves, or that we need safety rails installed at the edge of a cliff in National Parks, so that we don't walk off the edge, or many other things. So, maybe Europeans drive their ECVs better. BUT, EVEN MORE, I am absolutely sure that WHEREVER in Europe that they have these tramways, with the moving loading, THEY HAVE NOWHERE NEAR AS MANY ECVS USING THEM.

So, we'll see, but my strong prediction is that there is trouble, and lots and lots of complaints ahead.
Uhm, I never compared us to Europe.

There will be a learning curve. I expect bumps when it starts. I expect things to get sorted out.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #22
FCivish3
One Bedroom

they don't have special loading areas for ECVs in Europe.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Uhm, I never compared us to Europe.

There will be a learning curve. I expect bumps when it starts. I expect things to get sorted out.

Dirk
Hi Dirk. Sorry, I was talking to you, but I wasn’t quoting you with that part. Just talking in general about some of the things I have seen.

I REALLY hope I am wrong. We will be staying in Riviera the first week of February, and my wife, who is in surgery today, will be using an ECV. She’s not great at driving them as it is.

So I fear the worst.

Poly, AKL, BLT

FCivish3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 01:21 PM   #23
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

There's no doubt that they will have stoppage at the Riviera station for ECV's. I actually don't completely understand how they could load an ECV without stopping because at some point you will have 2 wheels in the moving gondola and 2 wheels still on the stationary platform. Maybe at high speed. Wheelchairs have their wheels a bit closer together so might be able to navigate but if they aren't aligned just right that won't work well either. Getting off should be a little easier because there's more stopping room after you've gunned it to get off. But I don't believe there is going to be an ECV every 2 minutes either unless virtually the entire guest population staying at and visiting Riviera is going to be using them and always going to Epcot and DHS. Is OKW getting bumped as the old folks home? (JK)
Old 12-11-2019, 02:37 PM   #24
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
Is OKW getting bumped as the old folks home? (JK)
Hah! In my experience it's AKV. One night I walked down the hall to find no less than 5 ECVs sitting outside the rooms.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:38 PM   #25
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
I wish they would just pipe in some disney music -- maybe do the music that plays on the resort TV channel?
I like this

They could even change it up, I want this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYBZhgnZirw
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 02:43 PM   #26
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Hah! In my experience it's AKV. One night I walked down the hall to find no less than 5 ECVs sitting outside the rooms.

Dirk
Every time we venture over to AKV to eat, we see some older guy dressed head-to-toe as if he is living his childhood dream of being on an actual David Attenborough safari from back in the day.

Not in an ECV, though...hmm...they have those golf carts that look like Hummers and stuff, could someone make a scooter that looks like a vintage Land Rover and make millions selling them to these guys
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 04:39 PM   #27
Quellman
Grand Villa

Quote:

Dirk
Probably not old people, just folks who need a lift because the halls are so long. ECVs at AKL are like golf carts at the campground.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:18 PM   #28
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
Europe doesn't have the same consumer protection laws we have here --
I'll never forget a carnival ride at a state-fair like thing in France one year. It was the kind of ride were people sit in one big circle that spins around and lifts up and down. And when we sat down, there were no restraints(!) If you didn't want to get thrown out of your seat or even off the ride, you held on. That was the whole point. Of course the teenagers would posture for their friends/dates, only holding on with one hand, not looking, etc, usually getting tossed out of their seats. You (probably) couldn't get killed on this thing, but a lot of people certainly got brusined.

We weren't in Kansas any more.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 05:22 PM   #29
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

No matter how bad the loading delay is for ECV's, it will be vastly shorter than the delays they cause on buses. Being able to use ECV's on Disney transportation was a godsend in my father's last years, so I will never begrudge them. But man can they slow things down (which may be a good thing overall.)
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 02:28 AM   #30
Crafty
Grand Villa

We rode the gondolas for the first time this week. All in all, we will ride them again. The trip from EPCOT to HS was definitely faster for us. Even my daughter who hasnít ridden the monorail in years is a fan of the gondolas. Go figure!

Now for the negatives.....

The cars were breezier than I was expecting. We had a colder day and my hoodie was not enough to keep me warm.

Being older, I had trouble exiting the moving cars. The cars tended to not be completely stable during the process. I could have used a moving walkway on the station side to cushion the transition. The CM said that this was a common problem and advised stepping straight off the cars at 90 degrees. This did help.

We experienced an unexpected stop. It didnít last long, maybe 5 minutes. I cursed myself for forgetting to stop at a restroom before boarding. Luckily we werenít stopped for long.

I am not a victim of motion sickness. Boats and cars donít bother me at all. I did get nauseous on the gondolas. I found that when I looked only within the cabin, that the nausea was greatly reduced. When trying to look at the view, especially at night, my stomach was not happy. I wondered if the problem was caused by the dots in the pictures.

About half of the time, our party was alone in a cabin. Once we had to ride with another group with an open stroller. It took up a lot of room and we felt crowded by it. I imagine a scooter would be larger than the stroller and I probably wouldnít want to share with one. We were lucky in that we only shared with pleasant people.

The rides, themselves, were always smooth and pleasant. The transition as we arrived at stations was a bit rough. The jostling was more than I was expecting.
Crafty is online now   Reply With Quote