home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-17-2019, 10:41 PM   #141
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Yeah, "Best restaurant in DHS" is a pretty low bar.
That used to be the case until Baseline Tap House. Unless one also wants food but, in that case, who has their priorities askew?

Cheers.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:00 AM   #142
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty cool. That's where we used to end up all the time, but for some reason gravitate more towards ABC Commissary now. Food is worse, but a/c is good and seating more comfortable.
Went to ABC Commissary for the first time recently - I was very excited to see hummus and pita bread! I can eat hummus all day. So I got it, and it turned out to be not only a very large portion, but was quite tasty. Wife got a Greek salad she was pleased with. I thought the decor in there was fun to look at.

So I will give them a ton of credit for having a food item so completely opposite from "angus bacon cheeseburger"
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 08:33 AM   #143
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Yeah, it's pretty cool. That's where we used to end up all the time, but for some reason gravitate more towards ABC Commissary now. Food is worse, but a/c is good and seating more comfortable.

Then again, my last experience with DHS QS was when I was in my first known episode of A-Fib (though unknown at the time, thought I was just lightheaded) so I just wanted food and cool!

Fortunately, that's all behind me now so I can once again judge QS based on its actual merits rather than the likelihood of me passing out.

Oh, I will say I actually like the food at Prime Time, but it's Comfort Food to the max, so not very interesting; and I l one the SciFi Dine-In theme but generally think they try too hard and fail on the food front.

Dirk
I like Sci-Fi, but have to admit I think of it as QS with entertainment and air-conditioning.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:44 AM   #144
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
I like Sci-Fi, but have to admit I think of it as QS with entertainment and air-conditioning.

#truth

Old 03-18-2019, 12:12 PM   #145
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Yeah, that about defines it. Truly awesome concept, though! To me, they should really have a Beaches & Cream type menu. The attempt to offer anything more than burgers/dogs/sandwiches is courting disaster.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:51 PM   #146
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
And a very expensive qs at that.
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:31 PM   #147
twingirls
Two Bedroom

We are almost always there in the summer so really the only requirement for quick service is air conditioning. I don't like to sweat and eat.
twingirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #148
Nickys
Grand Villa

What we learnt on our last trip is that all of us loved being there over Christmas and New Year.

Yes, it was busy. But I had prepped them for that and tempered their expectations. And thanks to Touring Plans we managed to do far more than I thought wed be able to. Not that we had regimented ones with every 5 minutes accounted for, but I had a relaxed plan of what we could do, and the rest of the family thought I was a genius!

Only 21 months to go until we return.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 04:29 PM   #149
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
What hype?! The only "hype" I'm aware of is that it is designated a signature restaurant, and that only matters if you're on a dining plan. Yes it is by far the best restaurant in HS but that's not in itself high praise. Brown Derby is a fine restaurant and I've never been disappointed, but it doesn't compare to e.g. Citricos.
It is interesting that you used Citricos for the comparison, Kieth who runs BD ran Citricos for several years before moving to BD. Personally I never really cared for in park Signatures (Tiffins being the exception) because I prefer to be able to clean up and dress in something other than park clothes for dinner.

That being said I do enjoy the out door lounge at BD, they have a decent small bites menu and you can order off the inside menu if you want a bigger meal. It is a pretty small space so it can be tough to get a seat.
Old 03-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #150
mitchwebb
One Bedroom

1. Mizner's is going to close later this summer to expand into the what is now the men's shop and the outdoor patio next to it.

Any idea when it will reopen.