home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > LIFE AFTER DVC > Doing Disney After DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-09-2020, 09:10 AM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default What's Disney Like for Former DVC Owners?

So, you used to own DVC, dramatically downsized, or stopped renting point. What's Disney like for you now? You're obviously still here if you're reading this, so what keeps you connected? What tips do you have for doing Disney after DVC? Have you gone from owner to renter? What's that like?

Start a thread and tell us your story, share your trips, or ask your questions!

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 06:47 PM   #2
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Before DVC is my best comparison here...

We were Swan and Dolphin and HHonors points people. We got the best of both worlds we felt like. Wouldn’t mind having to do that again.

At disneyland, we often just picked an across the street motel.

We got dvc so we can have 1 bedrooms+ size and space. We didn’t do it to save money necessarily. Resale helped a bunch. If we go back, we would use our HGVC points more and stay offsite and prob wouldn’t miss much. I like renting our points more now and using that to take different vacations like cruises or Tokyo.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 04:45 PM   #3
RoonieRoo
Two Bedroom

Default No DVC life has been happy for us

I have not posted here in years. I haven't owned since 2018. We were only small contract owners -180 at BLT plus short timers in regard to DVC ownership.

Annual at minimum trips since 2000, always got AP's that we maximized over 2 trips, bought in 2010 because that was when we could afford to and sold in 2018. Selling let us completely get rid of some debt that resulted from an employment gap in 2016 plus gave us back our emergency fund we had to use during that gap. I'm not a happy camper without a well funded emergency account.

We loved DVC, we loved our trips but the last few trips we took in 2016 and 2017 were just meh. The magic wasn't there. It just felt bleh. And the budget for the trip started to get greater or equal to the budget we would need for the other trips we were putting off. So we sold saying "No problem, we can rent when we are ready to go back."

We have never rented. We haven't been back and I have occasional pangs but then I work on my photo memory albums from our trips to Germany, France or the great time we had in Amsterdam or other trips.

I will always treasure our years addicted to WDW, visiting Aulani and DL. They were great trips. The Food and Wine festival was our jam. With COVID and other things in life, I am grateful every day that we sold.
RoonieRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:56 PM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonieRoo View Post
I have not posted here in years. I haven't owned since 2018. We were only small contract owners -180 at BLT plus short timers in regard to DVC ownership.
Thanks for posting your story, and for hanging around with MouseOwners!

Interesting that you haven't rented. I do plan to keep Disney in the mix, just not as frequently, so I can see us renting. We'll see . . .

You know, the photo album review also helped me make our decision. The Disney photos were great at triggering memories, which made me realize there's not that much more to do at Disney's that's new, so do I really want to spend all the money to keep repeating stuff that is fun but not as magical as the first time as a newbie?

Also, looked at photos from other trips and realized, "Yeah, we can have fun all kinds of ways and there is so much to still see an do."

It will be an interesting journey. I don't regret any Disney minute, but I'm looking forward to what's new out there that is waiting for us.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #5
RoonieRoo
Two Bedroom

As you can see, I am still hanging out here so my heart must want to go back. I am hoping after a good long gap I will be jonesing to go. Part of still reading the mouse owner forums is about waiting for that new thing to happen at WDW that tells me a trip would be worth the cost. But until that thing happens that makes a trip equal to the cost that also gets me to Europe or wherever, I will just keep reading the forums.
RoonieRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:56 PM   #6
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoonieRoo View Post

Annual at minimum trips since 2000, always got AP's that we maximized over 2 trips, bought in 2010 because that was when we could afford to and sold in 2018. Selling let us completely get rid of some debt that resulted from an employment gap in 2016 plus gave us back our emergency fund we had to use during that gap. I'm not a happy camper without a well funded emergency account.

We loved DVC, we loved our trips but the last few trips we took in 2016 and 2017 were just meh. The magic wasn't there. It just felt bleh. And the budget for the trip started to get greater or equal to the budget we would need for the other trips we were putting off. So we sold saying "No problem, we can rent when we are ready to go back."

We have never rented. We haven't been back and I have occasional pangs but then I work on my photo memory albums from our trips to Germany, France or the great time we had in Amsterdam or other trips.

I will always treasure our years addicted to WDW, visiting Aulani and DL. They were great trips. The Food and Wine festival was our jam. With COVID and other things in life, I am grateful every day that we sold.
WDW hasn’t felt right to us for a long time. Then we visited Tokyo Disneyland and Disney Sea and it pretty much killed off whatever magic I had left for WDW.....becsuse it was so much better. It made me realize that I should vote with my feet.

DVC still works for us for Aulan and for the trip to disneyland which is convenient, but we rent out a lot of points now and can take it or leave it.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 03:13 AM   #7
Crafty
Grand Villa

We are not regretting selling our points. My daughter’s fiancée likes Universal better. Once you have a non-kool-aid drinker in your family, it changes things for everyone.

We have stayed off world in the past and enjoyed it. Disneyland, in particular, lends itself to staying somewhere else. The last time we went there, we stayed at the Marriott Newport Beach and drove to DL for three days. We just relaxed for the other four days, and it was very pleasant.

We bought our contracts one at a time over the years and mostly resale. Until we went to sell, we hadn’t really connected with how much money we had tied up in DVC including the buy in costs and MFs. The money we spent on food, APs, up-charge events and souvenirs was also quite substantial. We will use that Disney money for other things, now.

We will rent on Kauai, one of my favorite places. We won’t miss Aulani, because we are not big fans of Oahu. We will also rent on HHI. Since we are planning to move back to Ohio, we won’t be popping over to HHI for frequent 2-3 day last minute trips.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:04 PM   #8
meeskamooska
Two Bedroom

Great Topic. I am pretty much over my investment in DVC. We have had some great trips, however at this point I'm looking for more from my travels than mediocre trips to WDW. I can see us going once every five years from here on out. I think we will blow one big trip after the Covid mess is over and then we will sell. My kids are 10 and 12 and saying things like when can we go to Europe and we really love Aruba. No one says oh can we go to hot Florida and ride rides lol.
meeskamooska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:21 PM   #9
Tessa
Two Bedroom

Default We have downsized

We have downsized, selling all of our SSR and VWL contracts, but still own at VGF, BCV, and BLT. Lately, we have been renting out points to pay for our cruises. My younger son (junior in college) is expecting me to take his kids to Disney, so maybe that's why I haven't sold all of my points. I am considering selling one more contract once those reservations are done. We haven't been to a WDW park in several years.
Old 09-12-2020, 07:51 AM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tessa View Post
We have downsized, selling all of our SSR and VWL contracts, but still own at VGF, BCV, and BLT. Lately, we have been renting out points to pay for our cruises. My younger son (junior in college) is expecting me to take his kids to Disney, so maybe that's why I haven't sold all of my points. I am considering selling one more contract once those reservations are done. We haven't been to a WDW park in several years.

Taking the grandkids is wonderful.....for us, its rediscovering all the things that we have taken for granted over the many trips since 2005. For example, when is the last time when visiting Epcot you actually went in and explored each pavilion? There are some many things we do now that are habit or part of a routine.....the grandkids have us getting out of those habits.