home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > WELCOME TO THE DVC BOARDS AT MOUSEOWNERS.COM > MouseOwners Events and Event Planning
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #1
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Default MouseOwners version of “The Glad Game” AKA the Pollyanna Thread

For any of my mouse peeps who don’t know me, I’m a Disney addict. Not on the road to recovery, I’m usually on the road to my next Disney trip. Unfortunately, that’s not a possibility right now. I’m also a registered nurse with nearly a quarter of a century of hospital based experience, currently working in mental health. And I have family who have lost jobs because of this pandemic. So I truly get the fear and frustration out there. I say all of this so that everyone will understand that I’m not dismissing or downplaying anyone’s angst. Unfortunately, the other thing that I am, is hopelessly optimistic. Sorry guys. And I’m seeing alarming levels of anxiety, anger, and frustration on this board. All perfectly normal reactions! But nurses are “fixers,” and optimistic nurses are the worst. So for all 2 of you who would like to play along, I’m starting “the Glad Game.” If you haven’t seen Pollyanna, please do yourself a favor and watch it! Basically, the rules are this:
1. Only positive posts
2. It doesn’t have to be earth shattering, just something positive
3. Try to spend just a few minutes every day reflecting on at least 1 positive in your life. I promise, it will help.

Anyway, maybe this is a dumb idea. But it’s not my first and won’t be my last. But if we can help each other the tiniest bit during this terrible time, I will proudly wear the “flake” crown.
Old 03-27-2020, 02:49 PM   #2
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

My contribution for the day...
My baby sis is a high school teacher, currently working from home. But we are both very glad that this has given her more time to spend with my mother who we have on “house arrest” for her own protection. In a normal week, she wouldn’t get to spend much time with Mama. They are both enjoying the temporary break.

And I have completed and submitted my application for grad school. I should get an answer in the next couple of weeks. I have also finished my clinical notebook for my advancement program at work, which will garner a modest raise.

Okay, Carolyn. Tag! You’re it!
Old 03-27-2020, 03:01 PM   #3
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
My contribution for the day...
My baby sis is a high school teacher, currently working from home. But we are both very glad that this has given her more time to spend with my mother who we have on “house arrest” for her own protection. In a normal week, she wouldn’t get to spend much time with Mama. They are both enjoying the temporary break.

And I have completed and submitted my application for grad school. I should get an answer in the next couple of weeks. I have also finished my clinical notebook for my advancement program at work, which will garner a modest raise.

Okay, Carolyn. Tag! You’re it!
I'm thankful that for the next - I don't know how many days - I will be weeding a backyard FULL of weeds! I've tried spraying them several times and they just keep growing back, because this particular weed is resistant to the sprays on the market. So now I'm going to pull them. I will post pictures of my progress.

Where I'm Going 2020:
All Personal Travel is Under Construction

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 03-27-2020 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typo
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #4
Nickys
Grand Villa

Great idea Mindy! Hoping we don’t actually have to wait to be tagged to play.

Because my normal school day finishes at lunchtime on a Friday, I put away the laptop and opened the box of the Hogwarts Clock Tower Lego I got at Christmas. First time for a while I’ve done that (at school with kids doesn’t count); the last time was Mickey 90th paddle boat set.

Yesterday evening the U.K. had it’s first “clap for heroes” which was emotional but uplifting at the same time.

And to make it three for good measure, eldest DS had some amazingly good news. He was all set to go freelance in the creative arts industry (video / lighting design), starting at the end of April. Of course all his work that was lined up has been pushed back. He spoke to his boss, emailed the directors and asked for a three month extension of his contract, which was granted. So he’s working (from home) on their longer term events.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:08 PM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

The Easter Tree in our complex bloomed last night!

And I closed my exercise ring with actual exercise walks two days in a row.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #6
MamaB24
Two Bedroom

Default Found It!

Thanks for directing these here. I posted on the other thread about how DH, aka Waldo, has decided to cheer my days up with his variation of a trip report...I have dubbed them the TP Reports.

Yesterday, long day...home at 1930.

And today, managed to work from home for the afternoon on grad school work (GOOD LUCK Mindy!!!!)....found this....

OKW since 2016
"Tricky fish! Tricky fish!"
MamaB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #7
ktmo
Studio

Thanks for starting this. I actually watched Pollyanna on my first day of school closures. It just called for me to watch it.

I am glad that I got to get into my classroom today and pick up a few things that I will need to teach for the next few weeks. I got to see some of my work friends in person.
ktmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:23 PM   #8
amydevoe
One Bedroom

Today I was glad for good weather to get out for a run and that it's Friday, which means no conference calls for work!
amydevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 03:30 PM   #9
TexasChick
Grand Villa

I am glad I get to spend more time with my kids. We’re all always so busy, that while this change is challenging, it is allowing us more time together. We’re going in the spa at night most nights (pool is still too cold), and I’m not on the road al the time taking them to/from school and activities. I know I want to make the best of this time, so I am trying to appreciate it rather than complain about my kids. Oh, and we’ve watched A LOT of movies together.
Old 03-27-2020, 03:34 PM   #10
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Our twin DDs-21 are home since college is online. And their student teaching and accounting internship was also cancelled. So we are spending quality time together. Watching movies and shows and having drinks. Maybe will play games this weekend since DH will be free and bored (he has been WFH all week). And they are helping me do things needed to prepare for the move. Today, the ladies and I scrubbed down the screened porch and table set out there. Yesterday, we hauled a car load of junk to the dump. But it's nice quality fun time. The last time they were at home and around so much was like early high school and they were snarky/grumpy teenagers then.

Owners since 2006- BWV & CCV
Next trip(s): Nov 28- Dec 2 VGF&BCV/ Dec 2-12 Palm Coast, Sept 27- Oct 3 CCV&BWV and 2/12/2022 Odyssey of the Seas Cruise

Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote